• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

World's fastest Cogger?

Steve in sunny Fla

Iron Butt
Industry Vendor
Could it be our own member Deepsea?

Deepsea (Michael Cox) is a current world land speed record holder with a twin engine turbo'd Kawasaki he built. A speed freak to the max, Michael took his 2009 concours 14 to El Mirage this summer, and ran 182.013 mph.  The engine was stock, the only power mods were a decatted stock header with a 2 brothers 2" midpipe slip on; enlarged ram air intake, and a Shoodaben ECU flash. He did have a shortened windscreen and the mirrors removed.

Michael is also one of those guys whose life story ought to be a movie. He's a retired Navy Saturation Master Diver and his stories from that alone are worth the price of admission. Nerves of steel. He's also an accomplished machinist and welder. He has ridden his race motorcycle at 200 mph with the rear tire coming off the rim  :-\ . This is a guy who has btdt... I have nothing but respect for him and his accomplishments.

Here's his time slip from the El Mirage run. Michael did it so you and I don't have to! Thanks Michael!  :beerchug:

Attachments

• 182clear.jpg
    182clear.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 311
I'm amazed a massage stock engine C14 could be made to go 182 mph.  Especially on the salt flats, which is flat but does have more drag than on asphalt.  Cool Deal !

And he is just a really great guy.

You get a chance to ride and socialize with him, you should take it.

(I can vouch for his penchant for speed ;D)

Hi,
      Congrats Deepsea! :great:

I used to do a 120' wall dive, off the southern Puerto Rican coast, and.....

Thought I, was the Macho Guy!!! ;D

Oh well! :-[

Attachments

• cccccc8.jpg
    cccccc8.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 259
Seagiant1
Love your pictures. 120 FSW is well within the SCUBA limits. When I was in Diego Garcia we did a series of bounce dives to 260 FSW looking for black corral. Stepped off the dive boat holding 60 lbs of lead to minimize our decent time. When the Master Diver found out we were in deep s*** for breaking every safety rule in the Navy Dive Manual. Spent several days cleaning and painting the Recompression Chamber room as punishment :-[ . We did however get to keep some of the coral, the Master Diver and Diving Officer got the rest. :-X

Wow,  that’s 82 mph beyond my comfort level.  :-[.  I read some of his exploits and was impressed. We need to see and know more.  :popcorn:

Life begins at 200mph! It's an extremely addictive sport and things do happen quickly. When I spun the rear wheel inside the tire it didn't come completely off but folded over on one side of the rim. I went into a full reverse tank slapper where the front tire stayed relatively straight and the back end oscillated side to side (very fast). I watched the timing tower go by sideways. When I finally got it stopped and we tried to push it onto a trailer the front and back were tracking 18 inched off line. At that years awards banquet I was given the "Brownshorts Award" :rotflmao:  That ride was a real rush. It almost equaled the time I was stupid enough to enter an RCA Rodeo Bull riding contest. Young and dumb sailors will try anything, twice. :beerchug: :beerchug:

Dude. That's all I would say if I looked you in the eye straight with a smile and respect: Dude!

Thank you for your service and for reminding us of the joys of riding.

I'm impressed too. I'm really impressed by that list of motorcycles on DeepSeas sig line. A Z1 and Z1R? Still at the house or is that from the motorcycling past? :great:

What a rush!  It takes me about 20 seconds to get out of my easy chair--What can you do in 20 seconds or less?

110 feels the same as 60mph on my bike, does it wiggle a little at 180 plus?

I still have all the bikes except the Honda CB650, and the wife isn't happy about it. In the 20 seconds it takes to get out of your easy chair I would have traveled about 5,340 feet or 1 mile.
  The C14 was rock steady for the entire run with only a small wobble when getting off the gas. I would caution anyone wanting to try this that I meticulously went through Everything beforehand. All critical fasteners were safety wired and marked with indicator paint. I spent two full weeks getting the bike ready.
  There is a time and place for going this fast and it's not on the street.

WANDRNG; no comment. :beerchug:

My hats off to you Deepsea! :great:  Even on the salt flats or a track, I  think would chicken out at about 150! I  am not really a top speed kind of guy,  but I really enjoy the acceleration that this bike provides in the first 2 gears. :motonoises: and how easy it is to make passes on 2 lane rural highways.

Truly enjoyed riding and hanging with you Mike. Hearing your stories was great fun. We'll miss you while your in Europe. Please keep us posted on your adventures. I don't think there are any dry lake's over there but there is that nasty thing called the Autobahn.  ;)

Deepsea said:
And Nuerburgring which is now open to the public for a small fee. $32 per lap. :)
Seen it. I don't think they have a straight long enough for you though.  ;)

Congrats on the top speed.  Now that's an accomplishment (one of many I understand).  Way to go go GO!

Congratulations Mike! Maybe see you in the Alps next year!  :great:

:beerchug:  :beerchug:

Deepsea said:
Already signed up for the Alps and one lap of the "Ring" is 12 miles with a 2.6 mile straight.

Is there any way we can get you to take video while on "the ring"? That is one destination I want to go in my life!

Awesome run.
I cannot imagine that speed from a heavy Connie. But I can attest it is rock solid at one-forty.  :motonoises:

I fondly remember Autobahn, but one memory stands out vividly. It was a convoy of red Ferraris passing us at speeds approaching twofold. Unforgettable sight! 
N-ring is on my bucket list.

Cheers...

Just for fun you should make a run with the bags on! 175 mph with luggage would impress a few people there I bet! lol

It took two hours and an appeal to get past tech with the modified ram air. No way would they ever allow removable saddlebags. Even when you know the inspectors (I was one once) and have an intimate understanding of the rules (I helped write some of them) it can still be difficult.

Deepsea said:
It took two hours and an appeal to get past tech with the modified ram air. No way would they ever allow removable saddlebags. Even when you know the inspectors (I was one once) and have an intimate understanding of the rules (I helped write some of them) it can still be difficult.

I didn't think it would happen---but it would be cool if it could.
I ran  my lightly modded 2000 ZX12R at "top speed run" they had a few years back at a sport bike rally they used to have in Parry Sound, Ontario. They held it at a local airport. There was no tech at all. You just lined up at one end of the runway, and they trapped you about 7500 ft down. I ran 194 mph. Might have been good for a couple more if I wasn't such a brick---lol!

I was pretty happy. She was putting 183 to the rear wheel on the dyno (with another 12 from ram air on the top end). I would really like to go 200 some day---but I will need a faster bike.

Dyno's never tell the whole story. I'll bet the other 6mph is in the bike/rider. The challenge is to find them. Anybody can build more HP, it's only limited by $$$ spent.

Deepsea
Was  it still pulling when you got out of the throttle? Given an endless runway, how fast do you think it would go?

I did not feel like the rear wheel was spinning and the final few hundred yards it wasn't pulling by much if any. The only advantage to a runway would be quicker acceleration not terminal speed. Thats dictated be frontal area vs total power (Hp/Tq) and several other variables(Std Day, Density Altitude, Wet Bulb/Dry Bulb temp, etc.). It might go a little faster as is but my goal is/was 200. Not going to get there in stock configuration.
Several things will have to be changed and none are easy or cheeeep.  :beerchug:

I read somewhere that the traction there is maybe 40% of the traction of a hard surface.
My understanding is that {even if you have the HP/Tq} that 40% traction is very borderline to push your bike thru the air?
So the shape of the frontal area is as important as making hp??

Do I have that correct?

Ride safe, Ted

Frontal area is paramount in calculating total power required. Shape is also extremely important. The forward most point is where the pressure wave originates and moves outward. Any protrusion that extends into the pressure wave creates an additional wave which builds greater resistance. There's an entire science built around this. Turbulence is also a major factor and is created by everything. Weight is not much of a factor as traction is a function PSI loading of the rear tire on the contact patch. On my LSR bike I built a set of small wings that mount where the center stand goes and are linked to the swingarm. The lift they create is downward and increases with the movement of the swingarm. After some experiments I got it to load a max of 500 additional lbs when at speed. I was afraid to go any higher as the bike alone weighs 850lbs. I run 60 psi of dry n2 in the tires to help control heat buildup. Traction is different not just every year but every run. Looking down the course you can see areas that are loose and you try to miss them, not an easy feat. Many years ago when track monitoring was a little less vigilant a close friend that I built a twin engine package for went outside the course to build speed in clean salt then cut back in before the timing lights. Everyone I know that went fast enough to qualify for record attempts always geared for 20-30% wheel spin which has a major effect on total power needed (more math). If you want to make a serious attempt at going 200 mph you're going to need an IT guy and a very good mathematician / aeronautical engineer. Having access to a wind tunnel makes this much easier but also cost big $$$.

Thanks, that helps.
  {But also makes me want to ask more questions...}  ;)
What class are you running the Connie in?
    My thought is the class your in limits the modifications you can make?
    I'll assume you can do bolt on changes, but not modify the engine or profile significantly?
Pushing down with X force would tend to raise the back of the bike and change your profile into the wind?
    I assume this is where the wind tunnel and IT guy come into play..
Gearing,,, have you come up with a way to change the Connie gearing?
Can we come watch??

Ride safe, Ted

I wasn't running in any "Class". The modified ram air disqualified the bike from stock class. This was a "Time only" run and would not qualify as a record attempt. Stock under SCTA/BNI rules is very restrictive and allows almost no changes except as approved by the Tech Committee for safety reasons only. Drag racing rules are much more liberal than LSR.
  The back end raises as a result of torque being applied to the drive train. The wing being attached to the chassis and linked to the swingarm to control angle of attack did not have that effect. It simply pulled down on the frame. The wind tunnel helps tune the body shape. Very minor changes can have major effects. Adding or removing extra washers under the fairing mount bolts will alter the shape enough to make a difference, also removing the heat wings helped.
  I machined a couple of gear pairs of different ratios for 6th gear reducing the overdrive. It would have been much easier if the C14 had a cartridge type transmission. I also was working on machining a new set of gears for the final drive but haven't finished them. They are much more involved than the transmission gears.
  Your welcome watch anytime, but you'll have to come to Germany.

Doing the deep quick dive at Diego is one way to pass the time there. I was there for 52 days during/end of Desert Storm. Work, work, drink cold beer!  ;)

Did 120 mph on the Autobahn back in '96 in a Volvo wagon, forgot model, but I was a passenger and didn't like seeing brake lights ahead. Can't imagine moving at 180!

Be careful out there that speed can "eat your lunch" as one of my instructors was fond of saying.

Spent 6 months there. Most of it doing punitive work for the Master Diver after getting caught doing stupid things young bored sailors (divers are worse) do when cheep beer is available ( Bud $0.25 a can or $0.15 draft).
  Going fast is great and I have ridden the autobahn between Weisboden and Munich several times. I've been going 160 mph and had a Porsche come up behind flashing his lights like I was stopped, probably going 190.
  They very aggressively enforce the traffic laws. The cops drive Turbed Porsche Carrerra's and I don't care if your Andy Granatelli they will catch you. That's what makes it safe to drive that fast plus being required to have Un-Restricted Drivers License and an Un-Restricted tag on your vehicle. Total cost about $1650.00. They have 3 levels of driving, each requiring driving school and the unrestricted one is 5 days on a race track with an instructor in the car. On the last day there are other student/instructor cars running interference against each other. If your going 185mph and a car going Only 120 cuts in front to pass a car going 90 mph what will you do to prevent an accident. It's how they grade you for the unrestricted class. 30% don't pass their first try.

I was wondering about the speed laws on the Autobahn.
During last years Alps Ride, we were on it (in the sections in which you can go the fastest).
I was at about 130 MPH, and occasionally some others were around 150.
We had cars pass us like we were stopped.
I was not aware you had to have a special license?

(Yes, I know a meer 130 is nothing to you)..  ;)
But, in my defense, that is all the BMW I was on would do!

Ride safe, Ted

130 (240 feet per second) on a public road is far more challenging  than 200+ on the salt or dry lake (no obstacles to hit or get hit by). The skills required are completely different, think Drag vs Road racing. For a short burst of speed to pass other vehicles the Polizei will not bother you, but continued high speed they will watch for the license sticker. A couple of years back I got pulled over going 265kph (165mph). I didn't have the unrestricted license but the officer recognized my FIM Class A racing license, along with massive amounts of humility (groveling?), and let me go with a stern lecture. Dodged a big $$$$$ fine and learned about the driving laws. I now have an International License. You can go to any AAA office and for $20 get an International Driving Permit. It's not unrestricted but it does allow you to drive in the EU and many other countries without taking a test or paying any $$.
  I've seen a line of Porches, Ferrari's, Lambo's and Motorcycles all flashing their lights for the one in front to get out of the way while going 150+. You do not want to pass on the right side at speed. It will land you behind bars and your vehicle gets impounded. You also don't want to be the one going to slow in the left lane. If you're holding up traffic or pass more than 5 cars without moving over it will get you a $$$$ ticket.
  Sure wish people drove here like they do there. Last year I spent 3 months riding around Germany on back farm roads and didn't see even 1 pothole or any litter.

Thanks Deepsea.
I did have an International License, and was aware about the left lane rules.
But, I was not aware of the Special License. Is there a certain speed you can not exceed without it?

One thing Bernd told us is, never/ever pull into the left lane without looking carefully to see what was approaching.
He was totally right!!

(Humiliating story)
While doing approx. 120, 2 rotten individuals {Bernd's wife (Anette) and my wife (Judy)} passed me in Bernd's Volkswagen car, {And waved at me}...    ;)

Ride safe, Ted

C. Moore said:
I'm impressed too. I'm really impressed by that list of motorcycles on DeepSeas sig line. A Z1 and Z1R? Still at the house or is that from the motorcycling past? :great:

And He's got a CDA#  Yeah Baby!! :great: :beerchug:

Yup. That was about day three of ownership (CDA). Red light, lane split to front of line, feet down, oh shit nothing under left foot-slow motion all the way down. Right in front of an 18 wheeler just as the light turns green.  :mad: :mad: :mad:

If the truck driver hadn't been paying attention my C14 would have been crushed under the front wheels along with me. Fortunately he saw it happen and got out to help me get up and going again. Now I'm even more conscious of holding back traffic, creating space, when an 18 wheeler wants to change lanes.

Last question;
In your last Autobahn note you mentioned "they will watch for the license sticker".
Is there a special sticker on the rear of the cars that identifies what speeds they are allowed to run?
I notices stickers on some of the cars (D, etc) and assumed it mean the country they were from?

Reason I'm asking is I want to understand the details before next years "Ride the Alps Rally"..

NOTE: At the Rally, there will be lots of twisties and VERY little Autobahn riding, so your cornering skills will be needed more than your amazing speed skills.
If I get to go;  I hope to do a little extra exploring..  >:D

Ride safe, Ted

My most humble apologies to everyone.

It seems that in the intervening years since I first drove in Europe, before the EU existed, the German laws have changed and I haven't kept up with them. They no longer have the levels based on skills or training. Now there is only one license. Well actually two based on age/number of years of driving experience. No more "U" stickers in the window. If you have a license and three years experience, over the age of 21, go for it. But, if you've been driving less than 3 years the legal limit for alcohol is...... 0.00%. Any blood alcohol higher than 0 gets your license automatically revoked. After 3 years experience the limit is 0.05%. :beerchug: :beerchug:
Even this old dog can still learn something. Sometimes.

182? Oh... you mean on the bike. Earlier in life I was a Navy SEAL, and a pilot. Yeah, I flew the SR... SR-71. Yeah that's right.  3,145 mph... Then I went home to my wife... Morgan Freeman.. Yeah, that's the ticket... (in my best Jon Lovitz voice.)

Well done. Deepsea..

When I actually hit 155 on my Aprilia, all I was thinking was... DON'T FALL OFF... No DEER, SQUIRREL!!!!!

rrsperry said:
Then I went home to my wife... Morgan Freeman.. Yeah, that's the ticket... (in my best Jon Lovitz voice.)

this is one of those times that "words matter" ... a lot . I'm hoping you mean fairchild, not freeman  ;)

Steve

Attachments

• fairchild.jpeg
    fairchild.jpeg
    8 KB · Views: 121
  • Freeman.jpg
    Freeman.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 184
Steve in Sunny Fla said:
rrsperry said:
Then I went home to my wife... Morgan Freeman.. Yeah, that's the ticket... (in my best Jon Lovitz voice.)

this is one of those times that "words matter" ... a lot . I'm hoping you mean fairchild, not freeman  ;)

Steve

Doh!!!

Well played Steve...lol Yes, that's the ticket... Fairchild.... Morgan Fairchild... (cause Freeman would just be weird...lol)

Decide for yourself..

Any doubts regarding this post?

Fake time slip from a CAR that was run at El Mirage dry lake

This is proudly displayed on his website and Facebook page as a Concours 14 that made this run.
(Usually when claims like this are made, there is a proud photo of the machine & rider that made the run.)

Although it was actually made by a car !!

See e-mail chain below that verifies time slip authenticity.
E-mail respondent is the Sergeant at arms on the elected board of S.C.T.A

https://scta-bni.org/contact-us

Attachments

• ZG1400_bogus_time_slip1.jpg
    ZG1400_bogus_time_slip1.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 167
  • ZG1400_screenshot_bogus_time_slip1.png
    ZG1400_screenshot_bogus_time_slip1.png
    58.9 KB · Views: 171
  • ZG1400_screenshot_bogus_time_slip2.png
    ZG1400_screenshot_bogus_time_slip2.png
    177.1 KB · Views: 166
  • ZG1400_screenshot_bogus_time_slip3.png
    ZG1400_screenshot_bogus_time_slip3.png
    112.6 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Good morning Deepseamdv..Congrats on the top speed run on the Connie. I own a 2009 !... Have completed several upgrades to bring the bike out. Flash/Area P/Power Cmdr... etc. Last dyno pull if I recall was 164 to the wheel. Took the "dumbo ear" mirrors off years ago and replaced with Z1000 handlebar mirror. Made a big difference at speed. I am curious as to your "modified ram air" upgrade you did on your Connie. Could you send some pics ? Is this a ZX14 ram air system ? Do you feel you actually needed it to attain your MPH ? Did you install ZX14 TB's ? Thank you...Sean

Decide for yourself..

Any doubts regarding this post?

Bogus time slip from a CAR that was run at El Mirage dry lake

This is proudly displayed on his website and Facebook page as a Concours 14 that made this run.
(Usually when claims like this are made, there is a proud photo of the machine & rider that made the run.)

Although it was actually made by a car !!

See e-mail chain below that verifies time slip authenticity.
E-mail respondent is the Sergeant at arms on the elected board of S.C.T.A

https://scta-bni.org/contact-us
Got a link to his facebook page? I can never find anything on facebook but I can find everything instead. If there is a way to filter the data they throw at you after a search I haven't found it.

Last edited:
Got a link to his facebook page, I can never find anything on facebook but I can find everything instead. If there is a way to filter the data they throw at you after a search I haven't found it.
He is the moderator for the Kawasaki concours 14/ GTR 14. group

I meant Michael Cox that Ivan was referring to...

so KCOG not COG ...correct?
I'm enjoying the Koi reference...but yeah I'm so lost here that I think I'll just drop it.
Yep. He's the moderator . The group is called Kawasaki concours 14/1400 GTR enthusiasts.
Not a bad group. The knowledge depth isnt as deep as this forum but its a well moderated group.
For what its worth I think Ivan has the wrong guy

Yep. He's the moderator . The group is called Kawasaki concours 14/1400 GTR enthusiasts.
Not a bad group. The knowledge depth isnt as deep as this forum but its a well moderated group.
For what its worth I think Ivan has the wrong guy

I now believe that it's possibly a different Michael Cox on the Koiphin website.... and I have deleted the post that refers to it...
(it was sent to me by someone else.)

However, the time slip is from a car, and this is proven by the emails between me and the, SCTA's sergeant-at-arms.

Edited to remove the names of the people who possess the time slip at the request of COG management.

Last edited:
FACTS MATTER... especially when a mans reputation is concerned.

A 10 minute internet search revealed a clearly mistaken identity. The pic below is the Michael Cox in question; the you tube video CLEARLY identifies the Michael Cox from the KOI email that was posted. No question, a completely different Michael Cox. Imagine that, 10 minutes to be sure of a FACT before damaging a man's reputation.

Kind of make you wonder about all the other supposed "facts", too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-10-16 468478_105837992918413_1801147658_o jpg (JPEG Image, 1280 × 800 pixels) ...png
    Screenshot_2022-10-16 468478_105837992918413_1801147658_o jpg (JPEG Image, 1280 × 800 pixels) ...png
    1.5 MB · Views: 76