• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Yamaha DT 175

JohnC

Street Cruiser
Folks:

I have a friends DT-175 here for a rpm problem, it won't go above 5k rpm.  I've totally rebuilt the carb, now it will go to 6500 before it stalls.  Made way too many adjustments to the carbs settings, no significant change in the problem.  Anyone else got an idea?  Looking into the ignition next, then the exhaust.  I do know that the old DT250 I had many, many, years ago had a sweet spot on its timing, so I hope that will solve it.  All others who dare, please do reply.  Yes, this has gotten to me, one more seemingly simple problem that as of yet is not taken care of.

John said:
Folks:

I have a friends DT-175 here for a rpm problem, it won't go above 5k rpm.  I've totally rebuilt the carb, now it will go to 6500 before it stalls.  Made way too many adjustments to the carbs settings, no significant change in the problem.  Anyone else got an idea?  Looking into the ignition next, then the exhaust.  I do know that the old DT250 I had many, many, years ago had a sweet spot on its timing, so I hope that will solve it.  All others who dare, please do reply.  Yes, this has gotten to me, one more seemingly simple problem that as of yet is not taken care of.

Have you tried manually turning the carbeuator throttle cable wheel by hand?  If the cable is not adjusted properly, or the wrong one, or perhaps there is a limiter placed on it for whatever reason, you are not fully openning up the carb WOT.  Just a thought.  Also make sure there is no air blockage and the gas line is not crimped or restricted in anyway, this includes the petcock as well.  Best of luck!