• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

yet another tpms question..

brutus

Hey there.,just need a quick easy answer in this topic. 2012 c14 with low battery flashing.
1-Once those batteries die....will that message go away without me having to push my two buttons to reset.
2-if i remove the sensors........will that message go away without me having to push my two buttons to reset.
3-if the answer is no to 1 and 2...can you dealership do anything to get ride of that annoying issue.

My dealership is telling me that no matter what, the low battery message can only be resolved by replacing the sensors.
Thank you!

1 & 2 - yes, the low batt message will go away and the tpms screen will show dashes

The dealer is ignorant. There are 2 ways to eliminate the dashes: a. have a dealer with KDS delete the ID numbers in the KIPASS ECU (before the batteries are dead flat) then disconnect bike's battery momentarily; b. wait until both F&R show dashes (or remove the sensors) then disconnect the bike's battery momentarily which will remove the dashes from the display - until either the old sensors are fitted with new batteries (easy with early type) or new sensors are fitted and registered to the KIPASS ECU with KDS. The TPMS feature will then magically return when the bike is ridden a short distance.

Last edited:
My Concours is a 2012 and the original TPMS design has replaceable batteries.

In January 2023, my front tire stopped holding air (not even for a day!). So I removed the wheel and took it to the Kawi dealer. Part of the fix was a new TPMS (the old one had a broken shell and couldn't seal to the rim). The dealer told me there are no more TPMS units with replaceable batteries in the supply network. The newer version TPMS, with battery not replaceable, will work -- but this part is almost $300. Personally, I want to be able to view tire pressures on rides or longer trips.

Someday we'll all have to make this decision. CAVEAT EMPTOR: Let the buyer beware.

I have a '09 and replaced my tpms batteries one time and now just run an external tpms system I bought of amazon. It works well and even has temperature alerts which is novel at best but works. I've been using it for a couple of years so there is probably better out since but a cheap solution that doesn't hinder the safety aspect.

I think o.p. was telling us that his orginal tpms sensor was replaced with the new, non replaceable batt model. And that he has had success with a aftermarket brand...

I replaced both batteries on mine last spring when my 09 arrived. One detail I missed was testing the leads on the circuit board for voltage. I realize now that I soldered improperly and zapped the power out of the battery for the rear wheel. My tire replacement effort this week included a new battery for the rear TPMS. This time I did it correctly and have the 3.2 volts at the circuit board. Now if our Michigan warm up continues, I will be able to retrieve her from winter slumber and smile when the rear pressure actually gives me a value.

My Concours is a 2012 and the original TPMS design has replaceable batteries.

In January 2023, my front tire stopped holding air (not even for a day!). So I removed the wheel and took it to the Kawi dealer. Part of the fix was a new TPMS (the old one had a broken shell and couldn't seal to the rim). The dealer told me there are no more TPMS units with replaceable batteries in the supply network. The newer version TPMS, with battery not replaceable, will work -- but this part is almost $300. Personally, I want to be able to view tire pressures on rides or longer trips.

Someday we'll all have to make this decision. CAVEAT EMPTOR: Let the buyer beware.
What model year did they change from replaceable batteries to non replaceable?

Here's how to tell if you have older or newer style tpms. The one mounted in tire is newer style and the one being held is the older style

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220526-114043_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220526-114043_Chrome.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 86
FYI, I'm still doing battery replacements for people on the original version sensors, and I have a one day turn around on them.

Good to have it on this thread as well. It was discussed on a different thread . I think cliff was involved or was.gonna try that route. I thought there were references to amazon for the battery holders..

I successfully replaced/soldered new batteries into my 2012 C14 TPMSs. I was surprised to get 8+ years out of the original ones. Was bummed to see that later year models have TPMSs that are not as simple (if it can be done at all) to replace.

I just purchased a new 2022 C14 and want to plan for the eventuality of having to replace those newer TPMSs. I'd rather use older TPMS units since I know I can easily change out the batteries.

A couple questions for the brain trust.
  • Does anyone know ... if I were to purchase an older set of TPMSs from say a 2008-2012 C14, what would I need to do/know to replace TPMSs in a newer C14 with the older style TPMSs?
  • Is a dealer able to pair older units to a newer bike?
  • Would you need some original S/N or other identifying information off the older TPMSs?
Thanks for any info you can provide!

1. They come up on ebay occasonally. North American bikes tale 315MKz rest of world take 433/434MHz. The sensors have the 8 digit ID on them.

2. Yes - or anyone with KDS.

3. Yes - the ID number is on the small label. If that is missing it's also printed on the circuit board.

1. They come up on ebay occasonally. North American bikes tale 315MKz rest of world take 433/434MHz. The sensors have the 8 digit ID on them.

2. Yes - or anyone with KDS.

3. Yes - the ID number is on the small label. If that is missing it's also printed on the circuit board.
Freddy,

Thanks for the information! Good stuff.

It's just too easy to clone the OEM sensors. $100 for a sensor and a programming pad. Side benefit is you can wake the sensors up without ever moving the bike or even starting it.

It's just too easy to clone the OEM sensors. $100 for a sensor and a programming pad. Side benefit is you can wake the sensors up without ever moving the bike or even starting it.
I borrowed a tool but dont have it anymore but maybe you can tell me. If you have the key on and wake them up can you read the pressure on the bike? I know I could on the tool but curious about reading in the bike?

I borrowed a tool but dont have it anymore but maybe you can tell me. If you have the key on and wake them up can you read the pressure on the bike? I know I could on the tool but curious about reading in the bike?
Yes you can.