• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Zx14 AND a C14?

Rhoades

Bicycle
Because I suffer from motorcycle ADD I tend to buy and sell quickly (except my C14, that’s here for the long haul).

I’m selling my Aprilia and have been looking for a bike to replace it.

There is a very clean ZX14 for sale locally at a good price I have been looking at. My concern though is that it may share too much DNA with my C14 and I will essentially have two of the same bikes.

For you guys that have some seat time on both platforms is the ZX14 different enough from the C14 to justify it as a second bike?

I suffer from the same affliction as you. I don't even like my second bike to have the same type of engine as my primary bike. I want a totally different experience getting on my second bike.

I owned a first gen ZX14 for 10 years and sold it to buy my 2016 Concours. To my mind, the bikes are very similar in many ways and my Concours reminds me of my ZX literally every time I start it up. If you have an opportunity to test ride the ZX14, you will see what I mean immediately. 

Well I looked at the ZX14. I was a piece of junk. Kinda glad it didn’t work out as I fell into an amazing deal on a 2013 MV Agusta Brutale. I will fill the gap between my supermoto and my C14 perfectly I think!

I joined COG when I owned a ZX14. It was an awesome machine, but too heavy to be called a sportbike.

Many times I passed 8 or so cars on a straight passing area in a blink of an eye, and it was an absolute hoot at speed. Slow speed maneuvering not so much, but for her weight, not bad I guess.

Mine had full Japanese hand-laid carbon fiber on it, every single piece of plastic was replaced. The engine was breathed on a little, and she had Brock's Performance CT-Dual titanium exhaust system which I had ceramic coated inside and out. Ohlins front fork and rear shock. Eventually she got Givi bags and top case, heated grips, a less reach handlebar with risers, and peg wideners to untuck the foot pegs and wider for the foot to rest on.

Then I traded it in on a C14, and frankly, I was never really happy with the C14 after having owned a ZX14 and ridden it so much.

My favorite currently of Kawasaki bikes is the H2 sport touring version, which is pretty awesome.