• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

ZZR 9 BLADE FAN IS A DIRECT REPLACEMENT FOR THE ZG 1000 4 BLADE FAN

I'am going to attempt to replace the stock 4 blade fan with the ZZR 9 blade fan. I'am told the air circulation for the ZZR 9 blade fan is twice as much as the stock four blade oem fan can produce. How hard of job is this. Do you half to drain the antifreeze. Any tips on this job. Their are 3 bolts that hold the ZZR fan on do I use blue loc-tite on those bolts.

I bought one of these 2002 ZZR fans for $24.00 dollars on E-BAY and that was including freight. Very nice fan also.

I know of one person who has done this job. Has anybody else done this mod if so how do you like it.

Thanks Dean

Last edited:
hello
I’ve adapted a propeller from a refrigeration unit, I won’t be able to help you ;)

image%2F2190700%2F20211105%2Fob_673c76_20211101-161408.jpg

Bonjour
Voilà quelqu'un qui a de l'oeil, effectivement les pales sont inversées et j'ai inversé le branchement pour qu'il tourne dans le bon sens;)

@+
Bernard

Last edited:
Dean, can you tell us why you're doing the install?
ie; Are you having problems with the current set up?
If so, what issue are you having?

I've been trying to find an image of a ZZR-9 (?) fan. I haven't heard of anyone installing one, but it may work. Won't know until you try.
With the plastic off the bike, you should be able to rotate the radiator away enough to do the install.

Ride safe, Ted

TED. I bought a radiator complete with orig fan and all the trimmings off E-Bay. From looking on-line the ZZR fan is a direct replacement 3 bolts line up just as the original ones do. It has 9 blades compared to the OEM 4 blade. They said the ZZR fan pushes a stronger stream of air and could keep the temp's down. I'am not having any problem at all but if I can keep my bike cooler I'am game. I will be testing the ZZR fan against the OEM 4 blade in the next couple of days or so. I have a fresh battery I have been charging up to do this. I will report back to let everyone know how it went

Rt now I'am replacing all the rotted wood on my ramp for my motorcycles.

Ted. To find the ZZR fan go to E-BAY and ask. / Pictures of a / 2002 Kawasaki ZZR 1200 fan blade on E-Bay.
Ted. I found the COG member who spoke about the ZZR fan his name is CRAGANTLER.

Dean

Last edited:
Fan only comes into play when you are stopped. Easy solution... don't stop.

A bit of humor, but also true. That they run relatively cool at 80+hints at the best use of a C-10.

Ted. That is the fan. Sorry for the confusion. I'am hoping it will push more air to keep the Connie cooler.
I will test it as soon as I get my motorcycle ramp finished. I put the galvanized post in the ground today. Trying to keep all wood off the ground so nothing will rot. I'am using 2 by 8 by 8 long so the ramp will be longer. The guy that built it originally built it really short and I never liked it. So this will be a lot nicer and sturdier and hopefully last for a long time.

Dean

On the ramp; I like it. Best of luck on the ramp.

On the fan: The only issue I see is the amount of plastic at the outside edge.
Many C-10 fan blade "tips" melt from being too close to the head pipes.
Keep an eye on the plastic in that area.

On doing something recommended by Cragantler:
Be very careful. CA can be a sneaky individual. :rolleyes:
(Don't tell him I sed that)

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
On the ramp; I like it. Best of luck on the ramp.

On the fan: The only issue I see is the amount of plastic at the outside edge.
Many C-10 fan blade "tips" melt from being too close to the head pipes.
Keep an eye on the plastic in that area.

On doing something recommended by Cragantler:
Be very careful. CA can be a sneaky individual. :rolleyes:
(Don't tell him I sed that)

Ride safe, Ted
Yeah, good thing I didn’t know you said that Ted😂😂
Comparison photo of the 2. Heard about this mod years ago and finally got around to it.
Valve cover is going back on this weekend so I may be able to get a test run to see the difference.
01A954E2-1123-41F0-960F-E6D01A3CF6F8.jpeg

If you look on picture 16 you will see the ZZR 1200 fan appears to be just as big or bigger than the original OEM ZG 1000 fan to the left of the ZZR fan. This is not true the ZZR fan is 6.5 inches across and the OEM ZG 1000 fan is 8.5 inches across. I had a chance to compare the two fans today as far as the amount of wind speed that both fans produce. I had no technical device to do this but other than my own judgement of the two fans. I just bought a radiator and fan off a 99 ZG 1000 on E-Bay. I had a fresh 12 volt battery to perform this test. I chose to test the ZZR fan first. It is a direct bolt up to the ZG 1000 and fits perfect and spun freely. It produced a modest amount of air and ran great on the ZG 1000 fan. I then put the ZG 1000 original fan I bought on E-Bay on the fan motor to test it's wind speed. It absolutely roared and had twice the wind speed of the ZZR 1200 fan. Their is no doubt in my mind the ZG 1000 fan produces twice the amount of air flow than the ZZR 1200 fan does.
When I bought my new to me ZG 1000 several months ago I spent a great deal of time detailing it. One thing that stuck out to me was the amount of hard dirt that sprayed back to the radiator fins. I cleaned this with foaming bathroom cleaner about 3 times. When I first sprayed it down it poured black dirt on the driveway. I did this 3 times and rinsed it down each time with low pressure on the hose. Without a fender extension the water & dirt will spray back to your radiator and clog it up with dirt, grime, road tar, and small pebbles rendering your radiator ability to cool your bike down properly. Morale of the story is clean that radiator and you will be surprised at the amount of dirt that is clogging up your radiator. I put a Murph's fender extension on my ZG 1000 to keep the spray off my radiator it works perfect. Using the stock ZG 1000 fan and keeping your radiator clean and full of Honda 50/50 pre mix will keep your bike cool along with MURPH's fender extension you can't go wrong.

Dean

hello
it’s obvious, before changing anything, a good cleaning is necessary, the oil radiator is the worst, personally I disassembled everything to clean the cells one after the other
bernard

If you look on picture 16 you will see the ZZR 1200 fan appears to be just as big or bigger than the original OEM ZG 1000 fan to the left of the ZZR fan. This is not true the ZZR fan is 6.5 inches across and the OEM ZG 1000 fan is 8.5 inches across. I had a chance to compare the two fans today as far as the amount of wind speed that both fans produce. I had no technical device to do this but other than my own judgement of the two fans. I just bought a radiator and fan off a 99 ZG 1000 on E-Bay. I had a fresh 12 volt battery to perform this test. I chose to test the ZZR fan first. It is a direct bolt up to the ZG 1000 and fits perfect and spun freely. It produced a modest amount of air and ran great on the ZG 1000 fan. I then put the ZG 1000 original fan I bought on E-Bay on the fan motor to test it's wind speed. It absolutely roared and had twice the wind speed of the ZZR 1200 fan. Their is no doubt in my mind the ZG 1000 fan produces twice the amount of air flow than the ZZR 1200 fan does.
When I bought my new to me ZG 1000 several months ago I spent a great deal of time detailing it. One thing that stuck out to me was the amount of hard dirt that sprayed back to the radiator fins. I cleaned this with foaming bathroom cleaner about 3 times. When I first sprayed it down it poured black dirt on the driveway. I did this 3 times and rinsed it down each time with low pressure on the hose. Without a fender extension the water & dirt will spray back to your radiator and clog it up with dirt, grime, road tar, and small pebbles rendering your radiator ability to cool your bike down properly. Morale of the story is clean that radiator and you will be surprised at the amount of dirt that is clogging up your radiator. I put a Murph's fender extension on my ZG 1000 to keep the spray off my radiator it works perfect. Using the stock ZG 1000 fan and keeping your radiator clean and full of Honda 50/50 pre mix will keep your bike cool along with MURPH's fender extension you can't go wrong.

Dean
Hey Doug/Crag, did you see that?

Ride safe, Ted

I just ordered a fender extender from Murphkits. I live on acreage and have a 1000' gravel driveway. With all the rain in NorCal this year, my oil cooler and radiator have picked up a LOT of mud. No matter how slow I navigate the puddles. Will be keeping an eye on the coolers this year.

A lot of people do not realize how much mud, small pebbles, dirt & grime comes up to your radiator & oil cooler rendering it's capacity to cool your engine properly. Mine needed a good cleaning. It was absolutely filthy with all the above. I took a dental pick and spent a couple hours picking the rocks out and straightening all the fins back up with a light coat of black heat paint it looked great when I was done
Your fender extension looks very nice. It will get the job done very ingenious of you. And you saved $40.00 dollars.

Dean