• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

1999 C10 Project "Bahnie"

jstutz20038113

I've been riding and wrenching for a little over 20 years now. A little after I got my first bike I got a certificate in motorcycle repair mostly to do my own maintenance. I'm finally well established with a job I love, military fuels management, so this summer I was looking for a nice hobby and came up with buying bikes in need of repair, fixing them up, and rehoming them. I find it very cathartic to work on them.

So I've taken on a few projects already with great results. I picked up this Barney bike from a local gentleman who owned her for something like 17 years as the second owner. I know it isn't super original, but I named her Bahnie because she is a Connie, a Barney, people east of me in Boston pronounce Barney as "Bahnie", and I suspect she would be fun to take on the autobahn when running.

She sat for about 5 years. The bad: No battery, bit of rust, faded plastics, torn seat, locked up front calipers, rough looking outer fork seals, and almost certainly gummy carbs and fuel system. The good: No dents, excellent plastic other than fading, no leaks, under 17,000 on the odo.

I do have some other projects going on, but will be working on brakes first so she can move around(I had to pull the calipers off the rotors to get her in the garage), then move on to battery and fuel systems.

Update: Got the carbs out, broken down, cleaned, and rebuilt. I'm glad I didn't try to start it before doing this, the varnish was pretty bad in the bowls and three of the float valves were stuck pretty hard with one being degraded on the tip. This is my second time rebuilding a 4-carb block and I feel like I have improved a lot even though the first one(CB750) went really well. I also lubed the cables while I had them off the carbs. They are in good shape, but dry. Air filter disintegrated as I pulled it out, so will grab another from local dealer.

Now I just need to get the damned air box boots to go on. No problem getting the engine side boots on. I ordered a heat gun(thanks Steve).

Questions:

Is there a good place to order new boots from? I am not ready to go that route, but having a price would help me think about it.
The brakes are dragging hard. Any tips on dealing with this? I am planning on bleeding all the old fluid out of them and the clutch, but should I do anything else?

If the brakes are dragging, the pistons are not pulling back in when the lever is released. I would clean and rebuild the calipers. Just new fluid will not fix it. Never push an used dirty brake piston back into the caliper. Any dirt or corrosion on the piston can cause it to bind. While you are at it you could add SS lines.

Reactions: Bud
A radiator hose tool like this is great for the carb boots.

Ride safe, Ted

Okay, synched up. I think I have the cables adjusted pretty well also. Moving on to brakes and maybe fork seal. Question about that coming up.

You will have to pull the forks to replace the outer seal.
If it were me, I'd go ahead and change out the inner seals while I'm there as i know that they would fail as soon as I put the bike back together.

Also it looks like the sun and corrosion made the outer seal to fail.
I'd suspect the snap ring below the outer is corroded badly.

If you're interested, there is a way to do the seal change without disassembling the forks.

Ride safe, Ted

Yeah, pretty much what I figured.

I have it pretty much ready to register now. I got a cheap pair of calipers on ebay that were in much better shape. The pistons on the ones I had were really rough. I will still try to get them apart and rebuilt, but the ones I have on it now work well.

I had a hard time getting it to start after replacing the petcock, and choke seems to be weak. I think the inline filters a PO added are clogged up, so I am just going to try replacing it with a straight hose for now like stock. It was also a bit stuttery in the higher RPMs during the couple road tests I have done, so I think and hope that is the problem.

I used Solution Finish black trim restorer and it worked amazingly well. The plastics look new again.

No, the tank inside is in good shape, and the screen and petcock are new. The old one was leaking from the diaphragm. The bowls just seemed slow to fill when it was hard starting. Hopefully tomorrow I can get some new fuel hose on it and see if that fixes the problem. I will also take a good look at the in-line filter when I get it out.

Aside: After rebuilding the carbs I rebuilt a set off of a VMax. The VMax carbs are way easier to take off and put on, but much more difficult to rebuild than the Connie carbs. Once again the heat gun worked wonders.

The outer seal(s) are probably that way from living in New England.šŸ˜‚ Mine on my 2000 looked like that after being in Maine for 15 years. Looked bad but never leaked.
3998B7F2-3E8B-41B7-97BF-00B091F109D1.jpeg

Yeah, the only things that generally stop me from riding in the winter are the ice and the salt, both equally terrible. I lived in Phoenix for 4 years before moving here and boy would I prefer that weather, despite the summers.

A tip for installing a new fuel line on the carb with them installed is to insert a Phillips head screwdriver into the hose and use it to guide the hose onto the nipple. It has to be a long one to go all the way in the hose.

My dry start is crank for 10 sec. Turn off wait 20 sec. Repeat, it might take 3 or 4 trys and then only start on one cylinder. The others come on as they get enough fuel.

I've been riding and wrenching for a little over 20 years now. A little after I got my first bike I got a certificate in motorcycle repair mostly to do my own maintenance. I'm finally well established with a job I love, military fuels management, so this summer I was looking for a nice hobby and came up with buying bikes in need of repair, fixing them up, and rehoming them. I find it very cathartic to work on them.

So I've taken on a few projects already with great results. I picked up this Barney bike from a local gentleman who owned her for something like 17 years as the second owner. I know it isn't super original, but I named her Bahnie because she is a Connie, a Barney, people east of me in Boston pronounce Barney as "Bahnie", and I suspect she would be fun to take on the autobahn when running.

She sat for about 5 years. The bad: No battery, bit of rust, faded plastics, torn seat, locked up front calipers, rough looking outer fork seals, and almost certainly gummy carbs and fuel system. The good: No dents, excellent plastic other than fading, no leaks, under 17,000 on the odo.

I do have some other projects going on, but will be working on brakes first so she can move around(I had to pull the calipers off the rotors to get her in the garage), then move on to battery and fuel systems.
Love what you are undertaking here. Have fond memories of my '99 and wish you well in your endeavors to help this one relive her glory. And, oh yeah, I have several odd bits and screws from my days of wrenching with it. Let me know if you need any.... :)

A tip for installing a new fuel line on the carb with them installed is to insert a Phillips head screwdriver into the hose and use it to guide the hose onto the nipple. It has to be a long one to go all the way in the hose.

My dry start is crank for 10 sec. Turn off wait 20 sec. Repeat, it might take 3 or 4 trys and then only start on one cylinder. The others come on as they get enough fuel.
The petcock has a prime position. That works well on starts when bike has set for a few days. Just 10 secs at most and bike starts with a little enricher.

After replacing those fork seal, I added some foam coozys to the fork to protect that sensitive area just above the seals from damage and bugs. Naturally my bike was orange so I used orange coozys. Black might have been a better choice but I'm special. Lol. I.cut the bottoms off and split them in the back. Trim to.fit and zip tied them to the lower tube. Worked well for years.

Attachments

• 20200418_212820.png
    20200418_212820.png
    811.6 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: Bud
Okay, I got the new fuel line on, but discovered a new problem. The petcock flows in on and reserve with no lines attached. What would cause this and how would I fix it? The petcock is new.

It sounds like it is defective. The plunger with the O-ring is not seated in the valve. In posts of using a rebuild kit I have seen people say to stretch the spring during assembly. It should take vacuum on the back side of the diaphragm to unseat the O-ring and open the port to the on and reserve positions. The extra tension on the spring makes a more positive closure of the port.

You could try to put a little pressure on the vacuum port then some vacuum and see if it frees up the diaphragm plunger so it operates correctly.

Better to dismantle the petcock and clean it up. This will sometimes fix it. But, more reliable would be a new petcock from Murphskits.com. Just my .02 after years decades of hydrolocking stuff.

The extra tension on the spring makes a more positive closure of the port.
Thanks a lot Jpd. I took it apart and the spring in this one seemed significantly weaker than the petcock I replaced. I cleaned up the old spring and swapped it in, seems to have done the trick.

Also, your screwdriver trick with the fuel hose was a big help. Everything is such a PITA to get to on transverse I4s, it is nice to know the tricks.

I didn't have time to road test it today, but that is next on my list to see how everything is running.

One thing I have noticed is that the starter doesn't always turn when it should, as in all start conditions met and button is pressed. Then a few more presses and it works. Is this a known issue someone can link me to? I have the feeling it has to do with neutral start and sidestand down, but I haven't delved into it.

Looks better than mine. I didn't know any better and payed 2k for mine that "needs some carb work." Should've checked for rust in the tank! Not to mention I'm not the best wrench monkey out there. Didn't even come with the cowling! Just the front fairing. Saw a fully functioning ZG1000 on Offerup for the same price as mine fully functional just 7 years older and slightly uglier, but at least it had the cowling!

Just remember to post pics when you get your bike all pretty šŸ˜