• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

4k dash cam front and rear?

Oilman

Anyone know if there is a dash cam or a gps with front and rear dash cams that both record in 4k? I can only seem to find with 4 k in front and 1080 in rear.

Just curious on what you plan to use it for... A "dash" cam is usually used to record the events leading up to an accident. Mine is one of those with a 1080 camera in both the front and rear. I can easily make out license plates.

Chris

Yes mostly just want detailed video. I don’t understand why no one seems to offer 4 k for both front and rear cameras.

Most people who want that much detail, buy an Action Camera. That's the niche they have carved out...detailed and smooth video of whatever thing they are recording. I look at my Dash Camera as being something my wife (if she even remembers it is there) can use to provide evidence that I was killed by a vehicle and prove the color, model and even license plate number. For that kind of use, you don't need much resolution.

You also run into a problem with providing a SD card that is fast enough. When I bought my HaloCam, I was dropping a lot of frames or getting only half a frame. My SD card was supposedly "fast", but not really. It wasn't fast enough to transfer the data of two cameras, sound and GPS data all at the same time. Now if I had problems with two cameras that recorded only 1080...what would it be like for two cameras to be recording at 4K? They may not have SD cards fast enough.

When I first bought my Sena 10C, I thought I'd post videos of my rides. I didn't. If you want the video online, you have to pay for someone to store it for you. It takes a lot of time to edit and trim videos. And after glancing at the video, most people don't look at it again. I've found it far easier to use my Sena 10C to take individual photos to post and share.

Chris

What kind of dash cams do you guys recommend? Just something like you are talking about with enough to identify cars, license plates for potential evidence?

Im most likely going to het the Vantrue F1. Best resolution available and has a lot of good you tube reviews . Runs about 400.
There are several however that will do the job at under 200

Most people who want that much detail, buy an Action Camera. That's the niche they have carved out...detailed and smooth video of whatever thing they are recording. I look at my Dash Camera as being something my wife (if she even remembers it is there) can use to provide evidence that I was killed by a vehicle and prove the color, model and even license plate number. For that kind of use, you don't need much resolution.

You also run into a problem with providing a SD card that is fast enough. When I bought my HaloCam, I was dropping a lot of frames or getting only half a frame. My SD card was supposedly "fast", but not really. It wasn't fast enough to transfer the data of two cameras, sound and GPS data all at the same time. Now if I had problems with two cameras that recorded only 1080...what would it be like for two cameras to be recording at 4K? They may not have SD cards fast enough.

When I first bought my Sena 10C, I thought I'd post videos of my rides. I didn't. If you want the video online, you have to pay for someone to store it for you. It takes a lot of time to edit and trim videos. And after glancing at the video, most people don't look at it again. I've found it far easier to use my Sena 10C to take individual photos to post and share.

Chris