• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C14 Trailering

perkins5932

I understand trailering a C14 is different than the C10, involving the handlebars rather than the triple tree. Any assistance will be welcome as I have to take my or another C14 out to a motorcycle show in early January.

NEVER attach the straps to the handlebars of a C-14.
If you overtighten, they can break.
Get a set of soft Tie's or straps with a loop that allow the strap to wrap around the lower Tripple tree and you will be fine.
Also secure the rear.

Ride safe, Ted

NEVER attach the straps to the handlebars of a C-14.
If you overtighten, they can break.
Get a set of soft Tie's or straps with a loop that allow the strap to wrap around the lower Tripple tree and you will be fine.
Also secure the rear.

Ride safe, Ted
Those I have for my C10 so I'm good. Thanks Ted. I had heard of some sort of gizmo that fit over the handlebars and that drove my question

You might be thinking of the Canyon dancer bar harness gizmo. I have used one for years on bikes with fairings to keep the straps away, but only after using it on the C-14 when I traveled 2.5 hours away to pick it up did I read on the forums that this has led to snapped cast handlebar risers. I was OK because 1, I do not tie the bike down like I am trying to hold the world together, and 2 I almost always use a 3-point stance employing the side stand when the bike is angled to fit in the bed of the truck. The tailgate locks the rear tire in place. I have since added some SS eyelets tot eh bottom bolts of the steering stem. Not sure how they work yet, but I may be bringing the C-14 down to Canyonville that way and pull my RV with wife and dogs to the National. Will find out then!

I'm in agreement with Ted and would never attach tie down straps to the bars by any means.
I use a wheel chock ,a and pair of soft-ties on the lower triple clamp to ratchet straps down to the D-rings, and pair of soft-ties and straps to keep rear tire from shifting side to side.

Saw a handlebar on a 2008 C-14 snap off in a guy’s hand during an accident. Listen to Ted and Steve. I’ve trailered a lot and always secure to the triple tree and use a wheel chock in front.

You might be thinking of the Canyon dancer bar harness gizmo. I have used one for years on bikes with fairings to keep the straps away, but only after using it on the C-14 when I traveled 2.5 hours away to pick it up did I read on the forums that this has led to snapped cast handlebar risers. I was OK because 1, I do not tie the bike down like I am trying to hold the world together, and 2 I almost always use a 3-point stance employing the side stand when the bike is angled to fit in the bed of the truck. The tailgate locks the rear tire in place. I have since added some SS eyelets tot eh bottom bolts of the steering stem. Not sure how they work yet, but I may be bringing the C-14 down to Canyonville that way and pull my RV with wife and dogs to the National. Will find out then!
Thanks for the get-back, ZXtasy. I have the loop straps in abundance so that will do this occasion. As for the National next year, I hope to attend as well and, if so, I'll seek you out to say hello. I live in Toronto but a friend in Vancouver has a bike for me to use anytime I'm in town so he and I will make the trip if all goes well. Happy Christmas to you and yours...

I'm in agreement with Ted and would never attach tie down straps to the bars by any means.
I use a pair of soft-ties on the lower triple clamp to ratchet straps down to the D-rings.
Hi, Steve. It's me, Dave Perkins, seeking the advice! Thanks for the feedback, Chum.

At one of the Nationals, (before I had a C-14) I saw a guy strapping his C-14 down with straps at the handlebars.
And he was pulling it down "TIGHT".
I thought that looks awfully hard on the bars and headed his way.
But, before I could get there, one of the handlebars broke and launched his bike across the trailer.
The launch broke all kinds of plastic, a mirror, and (I think) the Windshield. ARGHHHHHH!!

Later, we were able to get the bike tied down using the lower triple three, but (needless to say) he was sick!!

Since i got a C-14, I've tried the Canyon dancers. They worked, but I didn't like them.
From there I went to the lower Triple Tree. That works but it is a PITA to get the Soft Ties in place.

So, I built a system that uses Turnbuckles to secure the bike at the axles.
It's the perfect solution. Bike suspension is no longer compressed, and the bike is EXTREMELY secure.

Unfortunately, it's also hard to find one to buy, and it's kinda expensive to buy.
(I tried to find a way to build/sell them, but the cost of machining is too many $$ for most).
Found some at T-Rex that would do the trick and cost less than I could make/sell them.
Here is the discussion.

If I make it to the National, I'll show you my set up.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I know the pure riders are thinking we're all sinners for trailering.
So, yes I know I'm a sinner. But, it's the best method for me.

PS #2: The eyelets that ZXtasy mentioned are shown on post #27.

Last edited:
This is a topic worth the ink. (well maybe not ink these days)
Yes! The first time someone wants to strap down a C14, it is a WTF moment. Soft straps over the lower triple clamp do work. Still, they are a PAIN to slip on.
Sooooooo........Why not simply tie the front wheel into place from whatever points you have. Then strap the bike ,side to side, from the main frame above the rear footrests? Easy pesey (is pesey a word?) Tie the rear wheel into place and done. Bike will ride better with it's own suspension travel not restricted. NOTE: I suggest putting bungie cords over the staps from hook to hook just to keep the hooks from coming loose when or if the suspension bounce lets the strap unhook. This has worked for me for many many towing miles across Canada in Winter. Of coarse I also use a wheel chock in the front.

Side note, Am I the only one who has his battery levels get lowered during long distance tows? Seems that when a bike is tied down tight, the "electrolyte" tends to find it's way out the vent tube. An AGM battery fixes that but more expensive. I learned the hard way that the Battery levels should be checked after any long tow.

Oh yea, and if you decide to use "turnbuckles" make sure they are STEEL and NOT aluminum turnbuckles, which will break causing...you know.

This is what I used with a wheel chock when I trailered my bike down to Mountain Home AR to have a valve adjustment performed. It worked out well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221228_165916_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221228_165916_Chrome.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 117
+1 on using Tank Straps and a standard wheel chock. I use these when transporting the C14 in my toy hauler. No suspension compression, so this approach is very solid. I also use some basic ratchet straps on the rear to keep it from hopping to the side.

Wouldn't u still need to compress the forks with these? Otherwise u have to be concerned with the suspension bouncing out of the hooks. I think that's the point of Ted's axle spindle system.

Thanx BD. The Rings you posted are used by others too. I think they would be easier to use than strapping around the Tripple Trees and I'm doubtful the hooks would come undone.
I have 2 concerns;
1: The rings are made to hold 300# Dirt bikes, not 600# Connies.
2: (as KH sed) the suspension can still compress in hard bumps or turns (allows bikes to lean).
Either of my concerns is not a showstopper and the Rings seem a good alternative.
1 good thing here; The rings are a heck of a lot less expensive than my Turnbuckle idea. (y)

My idea was to completely prevent any movement of the bike. (particularly to the side/in a turn)
Below is Jim's trailer with the turnbuckle system. The bikes are about 3" from the side of the trailer walls, and we can't have any lean.
In the confined space, the turnbuckles are easier to attach to the bike than straps too.

index.php

index.php

Last edited:
Wouldn't u still need to compress the forks with these? Otherwise u have to be concerned with the suspension bouncing out of the hooks. I think that's the point of Ted's axle spindle system.
BD shows a great option for using regular tie down straps. As for the hooks possibly coming out at a big bump? A very simple insurance for that scenario is to connect a bungie cord from one hook to the other (over the tie down strap). The bungie with keep the hooks in place no matter the bump. Cheap too.

I trailered my 2012 about 100 miles to get it home. But... I notice the fork seals were leaking pretty good when I got home. I clean the seals with the little plastic hook thingy and that solve that problem. My first time trailering a bike so I probably did it completely wrong!

Attachments

• IMG_20240128_134504258.jpg
    IMG_20240128_134504258.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 20
Guys, just a quick comment on the soft ties to the triple clamp...why take them off?
Yes, they are a pain to put in place, but there no reason to take them off that I can see.
I've haf them in place for several years, and it saves quite a bit of time. They are essentially invisible .

Reactions: Bud
Guys, just a quick comment on the soft ties to the triple clamp...why take them off?
Yes, they are a pain to put in place, but there no reason to take them off that I can see.
I've haf them in place for several years, and it saves quite a bit of time. They are essentially invisible .

I leave mine In place until I get home, but I’ve had more than one person come up to me at an event and say “you’ve got something hanging down in your forks…