• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Cost of Motorcycle Insurance

My Motorcycle insurance keeps going up every year. Rt now i use Markel and the price is just two much $371.00 for a year just for average coverage for the ZG 1000 . I'll be 70 in November and I have never had a ticket or even a warning my whole life car or motorcycle. I had Geico and i called one time & got into a discussion about the policy going up and the lady told me they had a large number of motorcycle accidents this year.
Who do you use. I could use some advice on this. Is it that high for everyone or is it just me.

Dean

I
My Motorcycle insurance keeps going up every year. Rt now i use Markel and the price is just two much $371.00 for a year just for average coverage for the ZG 1000 . I'll be 70 in November and I have never had a ticket or even a warning my whole life car or motorcycle. I had Geico and i called one time & got into a discussion about the policy going up and the lady told me they had a large number of motorcycle accidents this year.
Who do you use. I could use some advice on this. Is it that high for everyone or is it just me.

Dean
Iā€™ve had Geico for years and am paying around $220 for full coverage. This includes roadside assistance. Granted I also have 2 cars and renters with them so that could help with the cost.

I've always used Dairyland - which was a major motorcycle insurance provider back when I started riding in 1980. Not sure for full coverage since my bike now has a salvage title. However the cost for liability with coverage for a rider is still affordable. An occasional speeding ticket never caused rates to go up and when we had an accident with $50,000 plus in medical bills Dairyland paid them all and was great to deal with.

$467 a year for the C14 and C10 full coverage. $67 a year for liability only for the 250. 250/500,000 on liability. The Suzuki is with Hagerty as a collectable. It's insured for $8,000. Same liability limits. Before the multiple vehicle discount, it's $220 a year. No mileage limits.You keep what is left no charge if it's totaled. The abs on the 14 is very helpful when buying insurance.

Well.... I'm at $102/mo (so around $1250 a year) for full coverage with Geico. All liabilities maxed out ($300,000), collision, and a $500 deductible across the board. Also comes with roadside assistance.

Its a lot of money....

Then again, I live and ride in DC, and its the Wild East out here.... red lights are a suggestion, emergency lanes are simply another lane to drive in, sidewalks should be called "sidedrives", and apparently, One Way signs are just there for decoration...

šŸ˜¶

-x01660

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Bud
I have 6 bikes and pay $450/yr with Progressive, full coverage on the '22 C-14 and just liability on the others. Each year I hold my nose , turn my head and write the check as Progressive was owned by Peter B. Lewis, a VEHEMENTLY anti gun person, nothing has changed since his death in 2013, I wanted to include this as it may change your mind.

My Motorcycle insurance keeps going up every year. Rt now i use Markel and the price is ... $371.00 for a year just for average coverage for the ZG 1000 .

Dean
Dean, I faced $$ insurance costs until I learned (to my satisfaction) how vehicle insurance is priced ...

A) please identify what is your average coverage and ID the price for each coverage. On a bike >8 yrs old, I don't include collision because an insurance firm won't credit much for the value of the bike if you wreck it. Collision (wreck repair) coverage is expensive for bikes. On my 12 yr old C-14 I have leaned down to liability (hefty $100k/$300k) and comprehensive (theft/vandalism) only coverages; saved a bunch$. Think I pay about $80/yr to State Farm. SF has my bike, my two cars, my house covered so I also get multi-policy discount. And I have a local agent I can go down and talk to, which I value!

B) Could/should contact the insurance firm that services your auto and your house. If they are separate insurance firms, why?, also change to get all your several policies under one firm. Insurance firms really give bettter prices if they have multiple policies - this is my best advice. Cecil

Dean
Location may have something to do with your insurance rate. Can you ride year-round where you live?

Wayne

Never thought location would have anything to do with price but you could be rt.

Dean
Location has a lot to do with pricing. Think big city with theft problems etc. Around here, I'm sure our deer population and history of damages to cars and bikes is factored in. Something else to consider is that inflation has brought up the value of our bikes. I never thought in a million years that any insurance company would pay 8 grand for my Suzuki. Ever. 10 grand for a Mark VII that needs paint badly.

Location has a lot to do with pricing. Think big city with theft problems etc. Around here, I'm sure our deer population and history of damages to cars and bikes is factored in. Something else to consider is that inflation has brought up the value of our bikes. I never thought in a million years that any insurance company would pay 8 grand for my Suzuki. Ever. 10 grand for a Mark VII that needs paint badly.
You have a Mark VII?!?!

That was my first car! An 88 Bill Blass hooptie that i bought for $400. I then had 3 other VIIs that were all LSCs, including a 90 that had the 120 MPH speedo!
Fantastic cars, and I'd LOVE to snag one in the future!!

-x01660

You have a Mark VII?!?!

That was my first car! An 88 Bill Blass hooptie that i bought for $400. I then had 3 other VIIs that were all LSCs, including a 90 that had the 120 MPH speedo!
Fantastic cars, and I'd LOVE to snag one in the future!!

-x01660
Mine is a 91 LSC with 79k. 3rd owner. Same family. Back to insurance.šŸ˜. Anyone have any experience with the insurance company comparison sites?