• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fixed broken well nut tabs

laker9142

New to me 08 (28k miles) reveals some previous damage. This is simply from overtightening, because I've run the Baker air wings on my original 08 (165k) with no problems. Although I have snapped a couple tabs from overnighting myself and was able to use ABS glue and additional abs pieces to reattach.

Now on to the rear brake. Lots of orange/brown goo inside the master cyl. Corroded bore, will be replaced with Chinese unit thanks to Fast Freddy AU. Back flushed the abs unit and got some goo chunks, but not bad. Alcohol dissolves the stuff instantly so it could have been worse than observed. Alcohol was in there for all of 10 seconds and then dried with compressed air.

Trying a photo link, if it doesn't work Ill post them the old-fashioned way.

AP1GczOq5VEL3nkWRovPA50H2G3dRSxlEoFnTi6AdpT3FNm6pPeL-4IelOu-XzxB5xpZtESEgK_3sGRhxASZYoi9JdvR9nr1C093Gv6ZvDWh6eG2xKZ6SVCa1FdCAOXejaO4fRtEss_nTOt2t99LFBuGSOZY=w3280-h1845-s-no

Even if you were to sell those, I probably would not be able to afford them (of course I really could afford them, but I'm cheap and would pretend I couldn't)....but....
I'd be willing to pay for a copy of your drawings so I could perhaps pound my own out.
It looks like the one you made for the right side was made from aluminum angle stock and one smaller piece, the one for the left side out of bar stock and 2 small pieces of angle stock? Is that correct?

EDIT: Yes, like Bud said, excellent work and a very good solution to the problem. đź‘Źđź‘Ť

Last edited:
It looks like the one you made for the right side was made from aluminum angle stock and one smaller piece, the one for the left side out of bar stock and 2 small pieces of angle stock? Is that correct?
They both started out from angle but I had to change the well nut location on the left one. The dimensions came from the right side, turns out they're not the same. I was told this bike had been dropped on the right side and I think it tweaked something in the fairings about an eighth of an inch. An eighth on both sides is a quarter, and that's about how far the well nut hole was off. So I whacked it off and bolted on another piece. Looking back thats the way to do it anyway, much easier. I'll pm you a drawing tomorrow, all the numbers are good but leave out the well nut holes until the end and then just transfer the locations from the fairing as you hold it in place. This would be Gen 1 only, I don't remember what you have.

I'm more impressed by that very detailed/over the top drawing. He has a lot of time in that alone, very nice.
Yeah that's the hardest part. The rest of it's easy. You should see Ted's drawings. He's a real honest to goodness draftsman. Mine are legible and understandable by any real machinist but wouldn't be acceptable to a big company.

This would be Gen 1 only, I don't remember what you have.
Ahha....well I've got Gen II but if you send them and they work even partially for me, I will pay you for them. It could be that the differences between Gen I and Gen II are why I stopped mine at just the bottom hole. Be interesting to revisit that area with your drawing in hand.

....not looking to detract from Dave's creativity, buy nate Choate at falconinformaero.com makes a set of 3d printed repair tabs that are extremely affordable. I only mention it cuz some us aren't that good at fabricating like Dave and Ted, and need to go to the easy button. Lol

....not looking to detract from Dave's creativity, buy nate Choate at falconinformaero.com makes a set of 3d printed repair tabs that are extremely affordable. I only mention it cuz some us aren't that good at fabricating like Dave and Ted, and need to go to the easy button. Lol
I just got a set.

nate Choate at falconinformaero.com makes a set of 3d printed repair tabs that are extremely affordable.
I just looked again at the plastic ones. The guy did a fine job, BUT, they only have one bolt hole and thereby rely on the integrity of existing broken plastic to work. Mine were in such bad shape that his wouldn't have worked for long, if at all.

I just looked again at the plastic ones. The guy did a fine job, BUT, they only have one bolt hole and thereby rely on the integrity of existing broken plastic to work. Mine were in such bad shape that his wouldn't have worked for long, if at all.
They don't rely on any of the old plastic at all. Pop out the correct mirror attaching bolt,.pop repair bracket into place, and secure with the aforementioned mirror bolt.

There's a YouTube video if anybody wants to see him install it.

I just bought and installed a set of the ones from falconiformaero.com and they work great! Can't go wrong for the price.