• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Grips on Murphs'. Easy install? Need glue?

BrianG

I was just looking at the grips for the C10 on Murphs'. I am not much of a 'wrencher' so am curious about what the procedure is to install them.
Also, there is a "Grip glue" option. Is that necessary/recommended?

I've never used grip glue on my road bike grips, only on my dirt bikes.

I put those same Murph's grips on my bike - my procedure was to remove the old grip, clean the bar, spray the bar and inside of the grip with Windex, slide it on, let it dry, good to go. (y)

I installed grips last month. I had to add a stip of electrical tape as a spacer, then sprayed with just plain hairspray inside the grip and slid it on. Within 24 hrs all was dry and has been solid ever since, even when using my heated grips.

Doug Meister

Did you have to cut the old grips off or were you able to remove the bar ends and work them off?

I like that compressed air trick. It looks like you would need to get them at least halfway off first though. I hate the thought of cutting them off in case I hate the new ones and want to put them back on.

I like that compressed air trick. It looks like you would need to get them at least halfway off first though. I hate the thought of cutting them off in case I hate the new ones and want to put them back on.

If your air gun has a long snout, poke it in as far as you "easily" can, then keep blasting in air as the grip expands to increase the size of the pocket to free it from the bar end.

On another note, I've tried all kinds of different adhesives but found all of them lose their effectiveness over time and allow the grip to turn. I wound up just safety wiring the things in place too.

Fixed.

KLR:
grip1-L.jpg

Connie:
grip2-L.jpg

Last edited: