• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

In search of a better seat

ONOBob

My stock 06 seat hurts me after just a couple hours. It feels like I’m riding on a board.
This is the first Attempt

I have not tried it yet. But just sitting on it I can feel that ridge in the back ( the butt bucket) still pushing me into the to raised front. And that is another problem. That part of the seat makes me hurt… between my legs) maybe my arms are to short. 🤪

II ordered some nice high density foam from a supplier. I’ve got enough to make several attempts. View attachment 38590

Have you tried any of the popular aftermarket seats?

Or just have the itch for a DIY project?

Yeah, new is cost prohibitive to me. I don’t (can’t) ride that much.

A few used Russell Day Longs have sold on here, but all of them were built for people much bigger than me.
I’m 5’8” / /29” inseam

Also, I’m working towards building a pillion for my wife. The rear of the seat will have to be 2-3 inches higher than stock. She’s only 5’1”

Looks like it should be a cool project. I know I've heard that folks have gotten good results making their own seats for other bikes. I think the trick is just getting the right density of foam (and layers, if you go that route), and then (probably harder), getting the right shape. But, if you know what you're doing and make it just right for yourself (and passenger), then it certainly can be better than anything off the shelf.

BTW, there is a used Sargent on ebay right now for about $100. I put it in my watchlist (mostly because I like window-shopping) and the seller sent me an offer for 20% or 25% off, if I recall. It does look pretty weathered, though, and I don't know much about how Sargents were built. It clearly uses the stock pan, and the foam through the vent holes in the pan doesn't look any different from stock. I suppose it's also possible that someone just re-covered a stock seat with a Sargent cover.

My 2000 seat foam would collapse under me after an hour and I’d be sitting on the pan. I replaced it with a rock, I mean a Corbin. That never compressed a millimeter.

My 2000 seat foam would collapse under me after an hour and I’d be sitting on the pan. I replaced it with a rock, I mean a Corbin. That never compressed a millimeter.
I have both a Corbin that came on my bike and a stock seat I got from another member. I think the Corbin is growing on me, but yeah, it does feel about as compliant as the old wooden chairs we had at our kitchen table growing up. The stock one does seem wayyyy too soft in comparison, though.

I haven't had the chance to put on any long distance, but have a 1000-mile-plus trip over a few days planned near the end of June. I think I'll bring the Corbin and see how it feels.

I could see a harder seat like Corbin working really well with an Airhawk pad.

To me the key is the seat shape and angle. Most OEM seats slant forward, perhaps because it looks cool, who knows.

Aftermarket seats usually have a slight reward slant, often with a tractor-like seat profile more in keeping with our anatomies.

The need for these can vary by individual but these attributes seem to work to spread the weight evenly for greater endurance and comfort.

To me the key is the seat shape and angle. Most OEM seats slant forward, perhaps because it looks cool, who knows.

Aftermarket seats usually have a slight reward slant, often with a tractor-like seat profile more in keeping with our anatomies.

The need for these can vary by individual but these attributes seem to work to spread the weight evenly for greater endurance and comfort.
Yeah, I will say the Corbin I have does have an ample-sized flattish "tractor" seat area. It's certainly got a lot more area than I need for my butt, with empty flat area behind where I usually sit. I guess that does give more space to move around and adjust on long rides, though.

Yeah, I will say the Corbin I have does have an ample-sized flattish "tractor" seat area. It's certainly got a lot more area than I need for my butt, with empty flat area behind where I usually sit. I guess that does give more space to move around and adjust on long rides, though.

My Corbin looked exactly like the OEM seat, just harder.

Got Point.
Agreed.
I don’t know, but it might be the forward slant on the seat aligns with the forward leaning sport posture / clip ons seating posture. Which I cannot do. I have to sit straight up with my head balanced over my body due to my cervicl stenosis. ( too many blows to head) or I get migraines and EXTREME vertigo.

I put a handle bar adapter and KZ 900 bars on my c10 the first year I had it. Which fixed the neck issue and possibly made the seat design less than optimal, for me atleast

Thanks
Bob

I don't know if Kawasaki really did copy the style or not, but the 94-06 stock Concours seat bears a very strong resemblance to the original Corbin "Gunfighter" saddles they introduced back in the late 80s/early 90s. Here's one I have for my ZX600-C (I'm currently running the stock seat on that bike for various reasons, but am holding onto the Corbin in case I ever do want to use it again, as they are unobtainium for these bikes nowadays.

1000005460.jpg
1000005461.jpg

I use beads on my Corbin. My wife uses an Air hawk. I like the shape of the Corbin better than stock but the surface is slippery. With the beads I get air flow under my butt and don't sit in water if it rains.
The stock seat made pressure points at the inside of my legs to the pan edge and I slide forward into the tank.

I'm still mad, and that would not be a good thing for me to see him.

Not to highjack but he's a coward, and he would not be there when I showed up, he avoids phone calls and lies when I did talk to him, of course I'd never tell him when I would be there, but it would be precious to let him sweat by telling him I'm stopping by to get my seat. Someone told me last year he was out of business but his web site looks good to me....

So, back to seats. I have used beads and an airhawk with a sheepskin on my Corbin, air works good.