• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Intermittent Engine Stopping on my 2009

rlievenski4555

I was on my way home from my son's house on Sunday. The weather was perfect with 76 degree temps and sunny weather. Previous rides this spring have only hit the low 50s. At roughly 1/2 a tank, I experienced a complete loss of engine power while buzzing along in 6th gear at around 75MPH on an open two-lane highway. The gages never lost power and as I coasted with the clutch in, I was able to hit the starter to fire her back up in a few tries. This was not isolated as I experienced the same intermittently about a dozen times in the next hour and a half on the way home. This happened at various speeds. I tried to just go with the clutch engaged as the engine was decelerating and noticed that she lurched back to life immediately after a few seconds of waiting. It feels to me as if the fuel injection system is shutting off and coming back to life.

I had a somewhat similar situation last summer, but not exactly the same symptoms as there was also poor running and low power when she started back up. I did not feel a loss of power this time as the engine runs. I replaced the fuel pump, bag filter, and pressure regulator at the time with a kit from The Fuel Pump Shop with no further issues for a couple thousand more miles. The bike is at around 22,500 miles right now and the valves were checked and adjusted at 15,400.

When I have mechanical issues, I always think about "what changed?":
1) On my way over to my son's, I had to stop for a bit of gas after fighting a head wind all the way. I could only find a country gas station that only had regular and put in only a gallon. I always use recreation fuel without any alcohol and with some octane boost. The recreation gas in Michigan only comes at 89 or 90 octane.
2) I filled the tank with 89 octane recreation gas for the trip home. I added roughly 1/4 bottle of Seafoam injector cleaner (first time since the fuel pump replacement) and a bit of STP octane boost.
3) The temperatures were much warmer for my trip home than anything experienced previously this spring. Prior to the issue, she was running great and at roughly the half mark on engine temp.

I have a spare bag filter and my thought is to pull the tank and fuel pump to inspect, clean, and replace the bag filter. I thought of replacing the fuel line anyway since it is OEM and well beyond the 4 year replacement suggested. I wonder if the mix of injector cleaner and octane boost reacted and caused some kind of restriction in the filter or pressure regulator.

My fear is that some sensor is starting to go out. I wonder if the computer can be plugged in for diagnosis by a qualified mechanic. The tough part is to find one that is qualified. I used some 600 sand paper to clean up the battery grounding surfaces when I got her ready to come home a few weeks ago. I know that a bad ground can create all kinds of gremlins. I doubt this to be the issue since the battery readout continues at 14.5 volts the whole time, even when the issue happens. When I got close to home, I revved her out with lots of throttle. A few seconds after going back to stable throttle, the power cut out again for a few seconds, making me confident that it is a fueling issue.

Has anyone experienced this problem and have any hints? It is very much appreciated if you share your expertise. :)

Rob from Michigan

You wouldn't be the first to have the suction screen/filter get blocked in short order. There is also a 'hidden' hi pressure filter inside the plastic bit the regulator fits into.

You wouldn't be the first to have the suction screen/filter get blocked in short order. There is also a 'hidden' hi pressure filter inside the plastic bit the regulator fits into.

I just received my replacement fuel line from Babbitts Online ( my favorite part source ). Since I need to pull the tank for checking the fuel pump anyway… might as well make the swap since 11 years on the first one is a long time. I also plan to take the offer from my local, small motorcycle repair shop to run a fault code diagnostic analysis. I do not want to get stranded on an upcoming long ride. Will report the findings later.

I took her out yesterday for a test ride after rebuilding the brakes (new seals on calipers and master). Bleeding a totally dry system took patience; however, the condition of the internals is back to like new. I found zero corrosion and the old seals were only slightly stiff. It pays to change fluids every season!

I looked through the fuel injection troubleshooting in my maintenance manual. The sensor that results in a shut down of the FI is the vehicle down sensor. I wonder if this sensor could have intermittent faults when going bad. Right now, it seems like it is only happening when it is warm outside.

Has anyone experienced intermittent down vehicle sensor operation?

Before going off the deep end of the pool! How about simple troubleshooting first, Steve mentioned tank vent, my suggestion is water slugs in your fuel, how about doing the simple stuff first ? Tip over sensors very rare to give issues!

Sounds like fuel starvation from a poor tank vent.

Steve
You likely nailed it! I pulled the tank today to inspect/replace the bag filter on the fuel pump. I pulled the vent hoses and blew through them to check operation. The left one was completely plugged, which cleared when blowing it out. The right one was partially restricted.

I also found a relatively dirty bag filter, which I replaced to be sure since the fuel pump was already apart. (See picture)

I plan to get get back together, fill the tank, and go for a long Saturday ride.

Thanks so much for the suggestion!!!!IMG_2595.jpeg

Before going off the deep end of the pool! How about simple troubleshooting first, Steve mentioned tank vent, my suggestion is water slugs in your fuel, how about doing the simple stuff first ? Tip over sensors very rare to give issues!
You are right. Sensors tend to fault completely… not intermittent. I took care of the possible fuel system issues today as noted. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Bud
Update. It was finally warmer and dry today. I filled her with gas and went for a shakedown ride. Was so nice and I ended up riding most of the day. Tried all speeds and outside temps varied from 47 to 73 degrees. She ran perfectly all day! Who would have thought gas tank vents could create such an issue? Thanks for the tips!!!IMG_2599.jpeg