• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

MEANSTREAK 17 INCH WHEEL MOD QUESTION

I was looking over the 17 inch Kawasaki Mean streak wheel mod. I think I would like to do this. Can someone who has done this mod verify the wheel part #. I saw a wheel with part# 41073-0042 a 2007 is this the correct part number.
Also if you have any input pros or cons I would love to hear them to.

Thanks Dean

one of the first things to do is to find a machine shop that will do the machine work. I had 4 turn me down before I found one that accepted the work. the print is in the tech pages I think. the machine shop I got the work done at also deepened the brake rotor bolt holes/threads by the amount they milled off of that brake rotor mounting surface. if I recall 0.3" but check the print.

once the machine work was done I had both front (zr7s) and rear (meanstreak) wheels powdercoated before I put rubber on them and all the internal parts back and got the bike up and running.

look through the classifieds here as occasionally a fully prepped ms wheel shows up for sale. check fleabay, etc. buying a new ms wheel is a pricey way to proceed but of course it will work.

if I remember correctly, Murph's sells a SS rotor for the ms conversion (or use to). ebc perhaps? he also sells, if i recall, some ebc front ss lightweight rotors too. and ebc HH pads.

anyway regarding the rear ms wheel conversion, the tire sizes that seem to fit are 160/60, 160/70 (what I picked due to the higher weight load rating) and 170/60 is supposed to fit, but appears to me to have very little clearance wrt the centerstand legs. one might have to grind off the inside foot ledges on the centerstand?? since I went with the 160/70 no centerstand clearance issues.

everything was plug and play once the machine shop work was finished.

I like the greater selection of 17" rear tires, though a lot of folks are evidently having no issues with getting the factory rear rubber since I still see some C10s on the road in the area.

be persistent.
-tdbru

tdbru. Thank you for your help. I found a Mean streak rim on e-bay for $144.00 dollar's freight included. I found a little more info today on this mod that will help me. Thanks for the info on the tire that could of been a big mistake. I think the biggest problem that I may have is getting some machine shop work done to the rim for the rotor. I wonder if anyone on the COG site could machine the rim for me. I will ask.

Thanks Dean

tdbru. Thank you for your help. I found a Mean streak rim on e-bay for $144.00 dollar's freight included. I found a little more info today on this mod that will help me. Thanks for the info on the tire that could of been a big mistake. I think the biggest problem that I may have is getting some machine shop work done to the rim for the rotor. I wonder if anyone on the COG site could machine the rim for me. I will ask.

Thanks Dean
You’ll never regret it. I was lucky and went to a sheet metal shop in town. They wouldn’t be able to do it, but one of their machinist did. Charged me $100 and it was great.
May want to try that route. I know some have used M/S parts and ground them down to work.
I wanted to go with the wheel machine work yet it depends on the availability or cost.
Enjoy it.

CRAIG Can you tell me or show me a picture of what part needs to me machined. A picture would be great. That is the only part that I'am confused about.
Any help would be great.
I can get a 280 rotor to fit

Dean

3378DDE0-6649-446A-B586-80B25E698834.jpeg
If you go to the tech pages, it will give you a complete walk through. Try a search for alternate M/S wheel fits and they will go into the means of fitting it.
Anything I can help with, please ask. Doug

Alternate route to go. FYI

Thanks Dean
Dean find the bracket for the meanstreak and rear caliper. Hopefully the wheel you found has the rotor. I used a grinder to get the meanstreak bracket the same width as the c10. I had the grind away a little from the point the caliper mounts to the bracket so it would line up with the rotor correctly and bought a steel braided line a few inches longer than the oem. I cut the back of the stay off and drilled it slightly larger to accept the bolt for the caliper bracket. If you’re handy you may be able to do it without needing a machine shop. Get the 17” front too. It has less gyroscopic effect which will improve turning responsiveness and improves braking as well.

Attachments

• 71177107351__7650035A-2BCF-41B1-8D1B-17BB8184DA8F.jpeg
    71177107351__7650035A-2BCF-41B1-8D1B-17BB8184DA8F.jpeg
    249.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 71177095141__7B0A1FBE-3F65-4930-A402-16FE046251F2.jpeg
    71177095141__7B0A1FBE-3F65-4930-A402-16FE046251F2.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 41