• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Moly paste

Con05

Does the old moly paste need to be removed from the splines first or just recoated when changing rear tire?

I can't say what is actually the correct way, but I've never removed it. I have only recoated them since new & only with high quality grease. When done at tire changes 3 - 4 times a year grease sems to be fine. It hasn't caused a problem me, but that doesn't it's the recommended way just my way.

Being the tidy person I am, I clean it off first, no problem ever. I don't think there is any particular way to do it, just the fact you are using it is what counts.

Reactions: Bud
Nice timing on this...
I just replaced my rear tire. I had a hard time finding moly paste. The local dealer didn't have any in stock, but their head mechanic gave me his old tube that had enough to coat my splines (yes, you read this right!).
First time using this stuff.
In my C10 I used marine spline grease and I can't remember what I used the previous two times on my C14; may have been juat good quality grease.
My C14 splines looked new, with no signs of any wear.
I did wipe off the old grease and applied the moly paste, but wondered how significant this is, vs. Good grease with EP additives.

I've been using the Honda stuff pictured below since the second tire change ('cause the first change was at only 40 miles), I bought it at my local Kawasaki dealer that is also a Honda dealer. I've got about a third of the tube left after 128k+ miles, maybe I'm not using enough,....but when I used more it was all over my wheel in a few hundred miles...so.... šŸ¤” šŸ«£ ?
20240411_113833.jpg

I got that same tube Marty! I bought mine many years ago for the C-10. 110,000 miles on the 2001 C-10 and 10,000 on the 2022 C-14.

I got that same tube Marty! I bought mine many years ago for the C-10. 110,000 miles on the 2001 C-10 and 10,000 on the 2022 C-14.

ā€¦. I've got about a third of the tube left after 128k+ miles, maybe I'm not using enough,....but when I used more it was all over my wheel in a few hundred miles...so.... šŸ¤” šŸ«£ ?
A little goes a long way on this grease / pasteā€¦

I have not had my machines do it but some customers machines were a mess. Either way too much grease / paste applied or it was an entirely different ā€˜less stay in placeā€™ product.

I think that is the big difference of this type grease / paste product versus others - sticksā€™ in place.

Wayne

The stuff the mechanic gave me is Honda branded, I think it was "M-77" (I'll confirm when I get home, visiting my son and his family in VA).
BTW...that mechanic is truly a "master mechanic" that used to have his own shop and is VERY well known in the region.
He gave up his shop because he couldn't get good help and the strain was getting to him. The local dealer hired him and I'm sure they get more service business because if him.

It looks like the Yamalube, and potentially the Honda M-77 are a grease base with moly added, while the loctite is a higher-moly content?

This is what I used when I just changed my tire, but I'm not sure what the moly content actually is. I'm wondering if I should switch to something else.

Perhaps this is one of those things were the fact that you use some kind of grease that stays there is more important than the specific properties?

Then of course there's the prop shaft splines into the final drive, which the factory service manual says to lubricate with "high temperature grease", although it appears that it gets oil from the final drive. I believe there are various debates about that as well, and the type of grease to use.

Reactions: Bud
Here's a photo of the tube the mechanic gave me. It's a very stuff material, feels like Permatex anti-seize compound, also looks like it, but much darker.
FWIW...the grease I'd put in the last time was still three although there was quite a bit of smearing on the face of the hub.

Attachments

• 20240413_111719.jpg
    20240413_111719.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 3
I have used Bel-Ray Waterproof grease on my Vulcan for about 104,000 miles. I do wheel and shaft maintenance almost annually and I am confident in the stuff. Is Moly Paste the standard for the C-14?

Limited only by your imagination!

Heath, I think use of moly paste applies to any shaft-driven bike.