• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Overheating

bikeman194517

My 1988 with 119,000 miles is overheating. I determined that the radiator fan is not working. Took it to my mechanic.
He installed a new radiator cap which increased the pressure on the cooking system. He says that with the right pressure, it is leaking coolant from many O-ring positions within the cooling system. He also says that these O-rings for the bike are no longer available. Does this sounds reasonable? He may just not want to work on it and I am not sure I want to tackle it, any suggestions? Are there really a lot of O-rings that could be leaking? I replaced the cooling system hoses about 10 years ago and don’t think they are the problem. Suggestions?
Tom COG 293

I know I'm not the only one thinking it. Did u get a new fan? And I'm assuming it's not over heating any longer, just leaking? And what o rings are involved with the cooling system?? I can't think of any...and are we sure he got the correct radiator cap and why was IT replaced?

Your radiator fan isn't working and your mechanic replaces the radiator cap...You might want to look for a new mechanic. The most likely culprit is the thermostat/switch for the fan. The thermostat/switch is on the left/rear side of the radiator. Pull the plug from the thermostat/switch and bridge across the plug. If the fan comes on, it's your switch. If you search the forum, you will find additional details. Also, the thermostat/switch is fairly common part and you should be able to find it at any auto parts store.

Hope this helps.

Your radiator fan isn't working and your mechanic replaces the radiator cap...You might want to look for a new mechanic. The most likely culprit is the thermostat/switch for the fan. The thermostat/switch is on the left/rear side of the radiator. Pull the plug from the thermostat/switch and bridge across the plug. If the fan comes on, it's your switch. If you search the forum, you will find additional details. Also, the thermostat/switch is fairly common part and you should be able to find it at any auto parts store.

Hope this helps.
I will try this once the bike is back in my garage. Thanks!

o-ring
I've replaced coolant o-rings with an Amazon assorted set - used them elsewhere on the bike (final drive) with good, long lasting results. I post comments, links and photos in other forums without issues, but this forum... not so much. When I click the link icon it always places the hyperlink at the start of my comment. When I try to post a photo... well, I don't even bother to try any more. Even the maps of states I've visited don't work most of the time.