• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Petcock issue?

butchkummer3370

Hi all. Just went to pick up an 06 that was sitting for 2 yrs. Checked all of the fluids, air in the tires, etc, added new gas to tank, approx 3 gals. Just wanted to get it home to completely go over it. Hit the starter button for very short bursts. After 2 times gas started leaking, almost running out. Couldn't see st first but after getting the tank loose, it appeared to be running out of the petcock. Is this even possible? If it is, can petcock be rebuilt or is a new one needed? TIA for any and all suggestions.

There's been mixed results with rebuilding the petcocks . I had luck with it recently using this kit . I would normally just replace it but gave it a try and it worked . I do have overflows in the carbs though . Without them I may not have taken a chance on rebuild .

Hi all. Just went to pick up an 06 that was sitting for 2 yrs. Checked all of the fluids, air in the tires, etc, added new gas to tank, approx 3 gals. Just wanted to get it home to completely go over it. Hit the starter button for very short bursts. After 2 times gas started leaking, almost running out. Couldn't see st first but after getting the tank loose, it appeared to be running out of the petcock. Is this even possible? If it is, can petcock be rebuilt or is a new one needed? TIA for any and all suggestions.
UPDATE! I have gas tank at my house thinking it was petcock issue but now at home, petcock is working as it should. Nothing is leaking, nothing comes out in ON or RES, and gas flows in PRIME. Sorry for the bad info earlier. Thoughts and ideas welcome. TIA.

OK, where did you see the gas leaking from then?

Even if it was set to prime and the carbs are ok, you shouldn't see any gas leaking from anywhere.

If the float valve is stuck open in the carb, then in prime the gas would be flowing out the air box and possibly fill up the cylinder as well.

I had one leaking around the face. I think that's what he's saying. It mainly leaked when changing positions.
it is necessary to rectify the rotary reach and I replace the O-ring by a VITON

1696904465-gtrx2024-gf.jpg

I had one leaking around the face. I think that's what he's saying. It mainly leaked when changing positions.

Mine is doing this currently. I left it on RES (I have the resistor mod done, so the lever is accurate and I get 1.5 gallons of reserve when it hits red), and everything seems fine. I also have the overflow mod done on the carbs. Should I replace my petcock sooner rather than later?

-x01660

Depends on how long you want to milk it. It's always nice to have full functionality. Might want to consider fire risk as well.

OK, where did you see the gas leaking from then?

Even if it was set to prime and the carbs are ok, you shouldn't see any gas leaking from anywhere.

If the float valve is stuck open in the carb, then in prime the gas would be flowing out the air box and possibly fill up the cylinder as well.
I agree with mggodrich. Need this info immediately.
Gas leaks can result in a probable hydrolock.
BE VERY CAREFUL!!

I agree with mggodrich. Need this info immediately.
Gas leaks can result in a probable hydrolock.
BE VERY CAREFUL!!
It's leaking around the face and he said he has overflow tubes. Doesn't leak unless it's moved to a different position. Btdt. Hth

It's leaking around the face and he said he has overflow tubes. Doesn't leak unless it's moved to a different position. Btdt. Hth

I also have an inline fuel filter, and when I park the bike and come back the next day, the fuel level in the filter is only half.

I'll get a replacement soon, but for now, I think I'm ok. It doesn't leak at all unless I move it, and then, only a drop or two.

-x01660

Don't know why, but Air if the fuel filter is normal. Don't work about it.

I'm still a little confused on your fuel leak/drip.
Where is the fuel coming out?
Overflows/petcock/???

Don't know why, but Air if the fuel filter is normal. Don't work about it.

I'm still a little confused on your fuel leak/drip.
Where is the fuel coming out?
Overflows/petcock/???

Not sure about the OP, but mine leaks a couple of drops from the face of the petcock when I turn it from reserve to run. The gap between the rotating part and the body of the petcock on the front is where it drips from.

But only when I rotate it, and only a few drops.

-x01660