• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Stock Lower Air Deflector Effectiveness

SethInIllinois

I'm contemplating making some front tip-over bars (since Murph is out of his), and looking at bringing a bar back to tie in at the rear motor mount. If I leave the stock black air deflectors off, I can keep it tucked tighter to the fairing, but will I miss them? If they are important, I can build the bars to wrap around them. They were off the bike in a box when I got it, and I honestly didn't know what they were for until I looked at stock photos. They seem like kind of an afterthought.

Most of my riding is in warm seasons here in the Midwest. I've always had sportbikes, where staying cool is not a problem unless you are stuck in traffic, and I just got my Connie at the end of October and tore it apart to fix it before any riding. I gather the wind protection can leave you wanting more airflow in hot weather. The bike came with a set of Baker Air Wings in a box, which I also could use.

What does the COG-mind think about the deflectors? Will I appreciate them keeping my feet/legs cool in hot weather, or will I not notice a difference.

Lots of folks have removed them . Haven't heard any negatives. If those air wings are for the top side , I really like mine . Draw air in when hot and block it when cold

Attachments

• 20211023_100206_(1)_(1).jpg
    20211023_100206_(1)_(1).jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20211023_100206_(1).jpg
    20211023_100206_(1).jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 29
Lots of folks have removed them . Haven't heard any negatives. If those air wings are for the top side , I really like mine . Draw air in when hot and block it when cold
I'll have to look through my box with them. I think there were 4 or 6 panels, and some extra hardware. I don't recall if there were any instructions, so I'll need to figure out where they go. I always have thought they looked kind of dorky except for square sort of bikes like GL1200s, but if it prevents sweaty legs, I may sacrifice some style, lol.

Install them so they direct air at your ankles in summer and install them upside down to divert air away from your ankles in winter. Some have stuffed a chunk of foam between the fairing and deflector for winter use to help keep their feet even more warm. Worth a shot. Then you have to decide if you'd rather have the advantages of the deflectors over the tip-over bars or vice-versa. :)

Thanks for the feedback, folks. My concern is more about heat in warm weather, as that's when I do most of my riding, and this will already have more wind protection than any bike I've owned before.

I think I'll put the deflectors on when I start mocking up my tip-over bar concepts and see how much they complicate things. I'm sure I can go around them, but would like to avoid bars that are spaced far out, or need a weird loop to get around them.

Thanks for the feedback, folks. My concern is more about heat in warm weather, as that's when I do most of my riding, and this will already have more wind protection than any bike I've owned before.

I think I'll put the deflectors on when I start mocking up my tip-over bar concepts and see how much they complicate things. I'm sure I can go around them, but would like to avoid bars that are spaced far out, or need a weird loop to get around them.
The only issue I could see with linking the front and rear bars is the front mounting points on the Murphs bars ( if you were to mount them the same way). They attach to the engine . If they were too strong they might break part of the engine itself . I recall that happening to someone here with just the standard bars .

The only issue I could see with linking the front and rear bars is the front mounting points on the Murphs bars ( if you were to mount them the same way). They attach to the engine . If they were too strong they might break part of the engine itself . I recall that happening to someone here with just the standard bars .
I'm going to tie them back to the rear motor mount, not the rear bar.

Something like the rear bar on these much more complex ones:FB_IMG_1701282757580.jpg

FB_IMG_1701282739995.jpg

FB_IMG_1701282719903.jpg