• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

That darned turkey

Bud

I was on my way to Walmart when a turkey decided to run out in the road and into the side of my 14. I wasn't in a situation to stand on the brakes or swerve as it was a relatively busy two lane state highway. The speed limit was 45. I was not speeding. All was fine except the bike. Markel is the insurance company. I've never had a motorcycle insurance claim personally. We'll see how this one goes. Here's the results.
PXL_20240413_171008861.jpgPXL_20240413_171006277.jpgPXL_20240413_223753632.jpgPXL_20240413_223812094.jpg

Wow. Almost hit a hen turkey in the mountains on my C-10 one day when she flew up from the left side of the road. She crossed so close to my windshield that I could see her chest feathers. I was slowing for a stop sign and was probably only doing 25 mph. Scared the crap out of me and my wife. Those birds are big. Glad you’re okay except for maybe your underwear.

Turkeys are large enough to cause some really serious damage and injuries. Glad you came through OK Paul! My claim with Dairyland a few years ago was very fair and easy.

I was on my way to Walmart when a turkey decided to run out in the road and into the side of my 14. I wasn't in a situation to stand on the brakes or swerve as it was a relatively busy two lane state highway. The speed limit was 45. I was not speeding. All was fine except the bike. Markel is the insurance company. I've never had a motorcycle insurance claim personally. We'll see how this one goes. Here's the results.
View attachment 38514View attachment 38515View attachment 38516View attachment 38517
Your crash bars probably stopped more damage. Good job driving through the Turkey and not hyper-swerving or slamming the brakes or worse yet both.

As already mentioned the insurance will likely be very fair, accommodating.

Glad you’re ok and got that behind you.

Wayne

Thanks everyone. I'm a big believer in just hitting the object. I've seen too many videos online of riders and drivers that make things worse with their reactions. The bike didn't budge when hitting the turkey. I'm really glad it wasn't a deer! You don't see many in town, but it does happen. If that turkey was at head level, it may have gone bad quickly.

Good save while taking the hit. About 20 years ago while living in SW New Hampshire, I was rolling along on my ‘83 GS1100 ED on a 2 lane country road. Came upon a part of the road where it dipped and both sides were above my head. Came around a corner and started to accelerate, when from the left came a flock of about 5-6 turkeys running along and trying to leap over the road. Luckily a lot of ducking and swerving on my part got me thru unscathed.
But like you said, I stayed on the gas and got thru.
A memory I’ll never forget.

Reactions: Bud
Called markel this morning and opened a claim. Good experience so far. We'll see how it goes from here.

Glad to hear you were able to escape injury.
With all the human distractions we deal with on the road. I agree hit it & hold tight.