• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Timing chain broke

brotheriam6109752

Timing chain broke. This is a scope of the top of the pistons. What am I looking at here?

Attachments

• IMG_20240406_164402.jpg
    IMG_20240406_164402.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20240406_164052.jpg
    IMG_20240406_164052.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20240406_164042.jpg
    IMG_20240406_164042.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20240406_163752.jpg
    IMG_20240406_163752.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20240406_164042.jpg
    IMG_20240406_164042.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 32
One would question why you started a seperate thread, away from the noise thread? Some of the folks following ot may not get the correlation.

Question - which piston is the below picture I inset? And which one had the broken rocker arm?

Seems a couple of the shots have witness marks of material interference on compression stroke, see the circled areas. My concern would be are there pieces of a broken valve face floating around in there? Anyone who brought their machine to me for repair in this case I would immediately note the head comes off for inspection of the valves.

Some might get lucky here, put a timing chain on it, set valves, do a compression check and as long as good, run it.

I in good faith would not do the above; I think further investigation is warranted.

Also have you identified where that broke-off piece of metal you showed before came from?

Wayne

52686971-E15A-4FF2-A609-D20F1A21A429.jpeg

I think;
The scars you are seeing are from the Hydrolock test.
Note that most of the scars are not in the valve recess area where a valve would hit.
Broken piece came from his lower Chain Guide.

Adding a timing chain before a teardown is probably the only way he can check compression.

Ride safe, Ted

New guy on here. Thread, string or a ravel, I don't quite know what I'm doing. I have a vacuum hose to collect debris from the cylinders. I have the chain, guide set on order. Still looking for a rocker arm. Used preferably.
MARC

Someone sent me a link to get the entire upper assembly for just $64. I'm going this route because this will give me new valves, cams and rockers. Thank you for the offer.

I'm curious if the broken chain has detectable wear. Can you measure some representative lengths (stretched out) and see how they compare to the service limit of 161.5mm for a 20 link length?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-11 172920.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-11 172920.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 2
I'm curious about why the chain broke too.
Possibly the chain was the cause here, but it may be a result of something else.
I suspect it does not have an excessive amount of wear.

Here's the skinny. The tensioner was removed to replace the alternator. I suspect, according to the nice manual I'm using, that it was reinstalled incorrectly. This caused the chain guide to disintegrate. Pieces got between the chain and gears. Snapped the chain. That's what I'm going with. Sound plausible?

Here's the skinny. The tensioner was removed to replace the alternator. I suspect, according to the nice manual I'm using, that it was reinstalled incorrectly. This caused the chain guide to disintegrate. Pieces got between the chain and gears. Snapped the chain. That's what I'm going with. Sound plausible?
That's quite likely. The tensioner is a ratcheting design, and when it's removed (or even loosened), it has to be fully removed, retracted, reinstalled, and then released per the manual procedure. If that procedure wasn't followed, then it's likely the tensioner extended when it was removed, and then was too tight on reinstallation, causing the guide and chain failure.

I think this may be promising for repairs, as it may have resulted in less damage (especially to pistons/valves/head) than a worn-out chain failing at high RPM.

Can't win for losing. Broke the Axel in my blazer
More repairs. Got the change out completed. Back to normal.

Attachments

• IMG_20240414_150010.jpg
    IMG_20240414_150010.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20240414_145959.jpg
    IMG_20240414_145959.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 16
Well it's an old 95 model. All original factory. Driving along and suddenly, the right Axel gave up the ghost. See photo.

Attachments

• bdb1c0a0-bae4-46f6-8567-9b065b766f6c.jpg
    bdb1c0a0-bae4-46f6-8567-9b065b766f6c.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 24
The break happened at around 50 mph. Died instantly.
If the engine was in gear, the engine continued to turn until you pulled in the clutch.
So dying instantly wouldn't have prevented possible valve damage.

I'm guessing that after the chain broke, some of the valves were stuck open e'nuff to hit a piston.
If so, hopefully the damage would be limited to only the 1 cylinder.
Looking at your photo's I don't see any big dings on the pistons where the valves would have hit.
So you may be in luck with only 1 cylinder needing a new rocker.

If (after you install a new chain) you have good compression, your definitely in luck.
But if you have bad compression in one of the cylinders, you will have to pull the head to check for bent valves.

Ride safe, Ted

Found a crazy deal on a 1400 intruder. 80% new condition. $600. You read right. She sits at my house now. Young man who owned it was scared of the power. And he was short. Now I can ride and work on the Connie at a better pace. Still want that Connie

Will the heads to a 2007 fit a 2002 C10? eBay says no.
There was no 2007 model year Concours. 2006 was the last year of the ZG1000-A (Concours 1000, aka C10), and there was a 1-year gap before the ZG1400 (Concours 1400 aka C14) was released as a 2008 model year.

People seem to mis-label the years on these bikes a lot, especially the C10.

Any head from a 1986-2006 C10 is the same, though. The 2008-up C14 is a completely different engine, though, based on the ZX-14, with no lineage from the GPZ900-derived C10 motor.

Also notable, is that Kawasaki used the same basic engine design from the GPZ900 in a lot of other bikes, and while some parts swap, others do not. For instance, the head on a lot of other bikes that used this family of engines did not have the top motor mount bosses for the stressed-member frame design of the C10. I know the GPZ900 shared a similar frame design as the C10, but I don't know if the heads swap directly. In any case, there are thousands more C10 heads out there than GPZ900 ones.

if you search "Concours 1000" or "ZG1000A" cylinder head on ebay, it looks like there are quite a few examples, many under $100. A bit of a risk on knowing condition, but as long as the valves don't show damage, and cams don't appear pitted too bad, your odds should be pretty good.

Any head from 1986 to 2006 is the same. The 1986 model had some issues with soft valves, so if you have a choice, I'd err for one off a newer year.

One note of caution, however, is that sellers don't always correctly describe or list the parts. I see at least one ZG1200 Voyager head listed as a Concours head. The difference is obvious if you know what you're looking for, though. The Concours head is pretty distinct. Just make it looks right.

Another thing to watch out for is that the original cam caps for the head are included. Cam caps are not mix and match between heads or positions as they are bored as a unit during manufacturing. Each cap is assigned a number to match their specific location on the head they go with.

For example - this head - Ebay Listing (NOT MINE) with no cam caps = Bad - is useless as it doesn't have the cam caps:

I have 2 complete heads available if you are interested.

- 94 C10 with 31,659 miles

- 1990 with 44,500 miles

I personally disassembled both bikes and have the original cam caps, locater dowels and bolts belonging to each head along with all the cylinder head mounting bolts and cam chain retainer.

Last edited:
Very good point, Stasch! Just like cylinder cases and rods, the cam bores are line-bored, so they have to stay mated where and in the orientation when they were line-bored.

Does this fit??
This would fit - to point mentioned earlier you really need to make certain you are not receiving some mix / match of parts, not by someone purposely trying to fraud you but just unaware.

I see above @Stasch has two complete heads. Personally, I would stick within the group if feasible - we love our machines!

Wayne