• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

tire changing

redline

I have not taken the tires of my connie, always take it to the dealer but after having watched enough tire changes :) I'm ready to tackle that myself.
Question I have is this.
If I remove both wheels, what is a good bike jack / stand that I can use ?
any other suggestions?

Thanks

If you're doing it yourself, there's no need to remove both wheels at the same time. Change rear tire, put wheels back on. Find something HEAVY and hang it from the back to bring front wheel up, and do the front.
This is what I normally do.

If you're doing it yourself, there's no need to remove both wheels at the same time. Change rear tire, put wheels back on. Find something HEAVY and hang it from the back to bring front wheel up, and do the front.
This is what I normally do.
You can also either jack under the engine to lift the front, or use a soft sling around the head stock or something to lift the front up with a ratchet strap from a garage rafter.

I use a scissor jack up front with a small block of wood when I do the front tire. I jack it up maybe a half inch. Doesn't take much. I've never had both wheels off at the same time.

If you raise the front and/or remove the front wheel, put a strap on the center stand so that it can't accidentally fold up.
I was doing a project and had that happen. No fun!

And NOW, "the Rest of the Story".
My incident occurred when I was installing Lowering Links on the bike.
** I was raising the rear wheel to align the bolt that goes thru the new Links.
That slight push (from raising the rear wheel) caused the center stand to fold up/collapse (and the bike fell).

Since that time, I always add a safety strap {from the Center stand to the headers (or Center stand to the front wheel)} when I'm working on the bike with it on the center stand.

The same thing could happen if you have the bike on the center stand and you're installing a tire.
ie; Pushing against the bike as you install the wheel could easily cause the bike to roll forward slightly.
That movement can cause the center stand to fold up. And that is "BAD"!!
It would be particularly bad if a wheel (or 2) is not installed when the CS folds up.
I highly suggest; Always use a safety strap.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
I've got both wheels off my C-14 right now for TPMS and tire swap.
It's easy to do.
Take off rear.
I put a floor jack under the engine/ exhaust system and lift the front a hair, just get the tire off the floor say 1/4"
Take off front.
The angle of MY center stand is such is that I'm not concerned about the bike moving forward and falling off the floor jack.
Have to take some care of course not too move the bike in that condition.
YMMV
Nick
2014 C-14

thanks all for the info. yes the goal is to take both tires off and take to dealer for tire change instead of having to go twice. i was concerned about the stability while tires removed. don't have a garage so doing that in my car port. wasn't sure where to support the bike underneath. i also looked at jacks for motorcycles and wasn't sure if those work with our bikes and that is a better solution. i thought they be more expensive but seen them going fro 100 - 200 bucks

i also looked at jacks for motorcycles and wasn't sure if those work with our bikes and that is a better solution. i thought they be more expensive but seen them going fro 100 - 200 bucks

Hydraulic jacks can leak down, I prefer a mechanical jack when leaving it sitting with no wheels for an extended period of time. A $5.00 scissor jack out of a junk car is what I have used for years. I've left mine sitting a couple weeks at a time with no wheels.

I do a variation of all the things mentioned.

I put the bike on the centerstand while its on a long piece of 2X10 making sure the rear tire is beyond the end of the 2X10

I installed a big lug bolt to the other end that I tie a piece of rope to and loop it around the centerstand so it won't fold under

When I drop the rear wheel, I don't have to worry about fender clearancec-14 tire change2.jpg

Last edited: