• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Trip to Devil's Cut?

fartymarty

SC AAD
I'm planning on going to SWCOG's Devil's Cut event and I'm wondering if there is any interest of others from the South Central area of going and maybe making a roving Rally week out of it.

I'm just going to Abilene the first day and getting dinner at the Beehive Steakhouse there. Then I'm planning on heading to Carlsbad NM (actually Whites City NM 2 nights) taking a couple of Cavern tours and then heading to Springerville for the Devil's Cut Event (2 nights). On the way back I'm planning on stopping in East El Paso (near Fabens TX) so I can go to dinner at the Cattlemans SteakHouse at Indian Cliffs Ranch for dinner, if you've never been, it's what I'd call a destination restaurant. First time I followed some out to it, I wondered if they were taking me out into the desert to bury me.
Then head for home on Monday.

My tentative itinerary attached for those interested.Divils cut .jpg

Last edited:
Took this route a few years ago'
180 across Texas to Hobbs NM
62 to Carlsbad
North on 285 to Artesia
West on 82 you will go by the historical marker for the Trinity sight the first nuclear bomb explosion
North on 25 to Socorro
West on 60 check out the Very Large Array they can be spread out over 22 miles on railroad tracks. after this you will come to PIE TOWN have some PIE
You will get to Reeds in a little over an hour Friday night meal I recommend Trailriders about a !.5 miles from Reeds
Enjoy the trip.

Unfortunately I’m gonna be doing a high-speed burn on Friday eventually through Silver city, then 181 up to Springville. I will probably try a different way going back on Sunday.
OOph! You sure make it hard on yourself to have fun.

However, I was expecting something like that from you. It must be rough trying to get away when you’re young middle aged with your career still ahead of you half ahead of you 1/3 ahead of you yet. :D

I think I'd skip Silver City if I were you and save almost 2 hours by taking northern route....--> https://goo.gl/maps/AX1XuF8yvYKr1by17
It'd be even better if you could skip out on Thursday afternoon/night and go to Abilene. If you can get a few hundred miles behind you on Thursday night, it'll make the Silver City route on Friday easier and then you can take the northern route home on Sunday.

All stuff you could determine for yourself of course , but you're at work 😵‍💫 and I'm just sittin' 'round hiding from the heat 🤗.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d really like to try going through Lincoln National Forest to Alamogordo on my way to 181 north. Just don’t want to dip down to Las Cruces and then hit 10 across. Trying to look for a way to hit the north side of Silver City. Who knows, I’ll probably just do a high speed burn along the interstate. Wish I had more time.

I’d really like to try going through Lincoln National Forest to Alamogordo on my way to 181 north. Just don’t want to dip down to Las Cruces and then hit 10 across. Trying to look for a way to hit the north side of Silver City. Who knows, I’ll probably just do a high speed burn along the interstate. Wish I had more time.
Yeah, It'd be great if they'd put a road through the middle of missile range, but until they do it's pretty much either HWY 380 or I-20 for most of the way.
Both can be pretty boring, with lots of "the wide open", although Montana likes to call it "Big Sky". I think there might be more of the wide open along 380 Than I-20 but then it makes looking for deer much easier because there isn't much for them to hide behind.
If you take 380 be sure to stop by for a quick photo of the Bridle Bit Bull west of Throckmorton TX.
See you there.

Edit: You can drop down to Las Cruces but instead of hitting I-10 across you can take I-25 up to 152.
152 is nice!

Last edited:
I'm planning on going to SWCOG's Devil's Cut event and I'm wondering if there is any interest of others from the South Central area of going and maybe making a roving Rally week out of it.

I'm just going to Abilene the first day and getting dinner at the Beehive Steakhouse there. Then I'm planning on heading to Carlsbad NM (actually Whites City NM 2 nights) taking a couple of Cavern tours and then heading to Springerville for the Devil's Cut Event (2 nights). On the way back I'm planning on stopping in East El Paso (near Fabens TX) so I can go to dinner at the Cattlemans SteakHouse at Indian Cliffs Ranch for dinner, if you've never been, it's what I'd call a destination restaurant. First time I followed some out to it, I wondered if they were taking me out into the desert to bury me.
Then head for home on Monday.

My tentative itinerary attached for those interested.View attachment 36473
Howdy Mr. Marty. Thanks for the "invitation" (??) Unfortunately I will be out of the country on another mission . Maybe 2024 ? Enjoy & Have fun !

Yeah, It'd be great if they'd put a road through the middle of missile range, but until they do it's pretty much either HWY 380 or I-20 for most of the way.
Both can be pretty boring, with lots of "the wide open", although Montana likes to call it "Big Sky". I think there might be more of the wide open along 380 Than I-20 but then it makes looking for deer much easier because there isn't much for them to hide behind.
If you take 380 be sure to stop by for a quick photo of the Bridle Bit Bull west of Throckmorton TX.
See you there.

Edit: You can drop down to Las Cruces but instead of hitting I-10 across you can take I-25 up to 152.
152 is nice!
Looks like I’m gonna hit 152 across. It’ll be a 895 miler that day. Guess I’ll leave at 5 and hope to get to Reeds by 6:00pm Springerville time. The time change will save me two hours. Better install the Amazon air hawk seat cushion for this one. 😁

Marty, what time are you leaving Las Cruses after meeting up with a few from the group tomorrow? Which way you going? Not necessarily to meet up but just want to do a flyby when seeing three Connie’s together. 😁

We are meeting at 8:30 AM in Las Cruces heading up to Roberts Lake then back down to Silver City for lunch....then on to Springerville....I'm not leading so I'm not sure of the exact route, but I imagine that if you were to catch us it would be on Hwy 180 before Alpine AZ or on 191 heading north out of Alpine AZ. You be safe you silly canuck. Now go to bed and get some sleep...oh wait I'm an hour behind you...hoping you are already in bed and asleep....read this in the morning.

We are meeting at 8:30 AM in Las Cruces heading up to Roberts Lake then back down to Silver City for lunch....then on to Springerville....I'm not leading so I'm not sure of the exact route, but I imagine that if you were to catch us it would be on Hwy 180 before Alpine AZ or on 191 heading north out of Alpine AZ. You be safe you silly canuck. Now go to bed and get some sleep...oh wait I'm an hour behind you...hoping you are already in bed and asleep....read this in the morning.
image.jpg