Author Topic: Using a Pinlock Visor at Night  (Read 1148 times)

Offline 4Bikes

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Active
Using a Pinlock Visor at Night
« on: November 06, 2013, 06:15:59 AM »
Last November, I purchased an HJC RPHA helmet that came with the Pinlock visor shield.  I only use the Pinlock anti-fog insert on my clear shield, and only use that during the colder months.  The colder months also mean more chance of riding at night.

I read a warning somewhere (likely the packaging) that said Pinlock was not suitable for night riding, since light transmission is only 80% and multiple reflections can occur.

I definitely see the reflections, and if you don’t focus your eyes long distance, I can see how they could distract you.  Since the purpose of anti-fog helps so much in the cold, I’m not sure which would be worse, the reflections or the fog. 

Is anybody else seeing the reflections with the Pinlock Visor, and do you feel it’s safe to use it at night?
Silver 2011 C-14. Retired rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline smithr1

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
Re: Using a Pinlock Visor at Night
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 10:34:01 AM »
Yep I can see why they are not for night use.  I don't even like it in the day because of the changes to my vision.  I really like having clear vision.  I find that since I ware glasses having anti fog on the shield might work but does not do a thing if my glasses want to fog.  I may just take it off because of all the issues.

Offline JeffP

• Jeff In NC
  • Moped
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10856
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 10:47:16 AM »
I have the Pinlock on my Shoei GT-AIR helmet. I don't notice any visual interference during the day or night.
2008 Neutron Silver C14
2007 Honda CRF250R

Offline Rob

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 6362
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 11:56:42 AM »
I use one with a Nolan and don't have any issues.

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 9735
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 12:02:50 PM »
I have one on my Neotec and use it in the dark with no issues, I do remember seeing that warning sticker on it not to though...  ???

Offline 4Bikes

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 12:17:56 PM »
I will need to do some more night riding to be sure, but I think if you recognize the moving reflections are there, but not real objects, you will just adapt your eyes and get used to them over time.   It has to be better than a fogged lens.  I think all Pinlocks are the same regardless of the manufacturer of the visor and helmet.
Silver 2011 C-14. Retired rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline kawcon14rider

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8557
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 02:27:36 PM »
4Bikes I have the same helmet and don't have any problems. Had the pinlock insulted since last March.
Sammie Timmons  COG# 8557  CDA#0291  AMA# 818592  74 GT380 totaled  74 GT750 totaled  80 GS850 totaled  05 Vulcan 750 traded  08 C14 my baby  08 Versys (my wife's) 2012 Ninja 250 [thanks Kawasaki for the gift]

Offline 4Bikes

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 03:04:17 PM »
4Bikes I have the same helmet and don't have any problems. Had the pinlock insulted since last March.

Do you use the Pinlock full time?  Perhaps I'm just noticing the change and reflections after going back to it last week after months with a light smoke visor that I usually raise for night riding. Did you see the night time warning with the Pinlock that shipped with the helmet?

Offline kawcon14rider

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8557
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 03:45:12 PM »
Yes I use the pinlock full time. I pulled the instructions for the Pinlock sys and could not find anything about not using for night riding. Only warning has to do with cleaning and that it is less resistant to scratching than the original visor. All is well.  :great:
Sammie Timmons  COG# 8557  CDA#0291  AMA# 818592  74 GT380 totaled  74 GT750 totaled  80 GS850 totaled  05 Vulcan 750 traded  08 C14 my baby  08 Versys (my wife's) 2012 Ninja 250 [thanks Kawasaki for the gift]

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 9735
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 05:36:07 PM »

Do you use the Pinlock full time? 

I do.  :great:

Offline Cigar Jay

• Training Wheels
  • born to be mild
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10822
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 08:51:29 PM »
running mine at night small amount of reflection is easy to get used to
-fogging up on the other hand is unacceptable
just my two cents worth
jay

Offline Tony

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 10522
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 09:13:21 PM »
Not sure if it has to do with the RPHA helmet.  I also have the same helmet and don't really like the pinlock visor because I like 100% distortion free viewing.  I've been using it during the day when its cold but I prefer not to use them at all.  The seal is so tight on the RPHA I have that it really fogs up quickly in our moisture laden PNW weather
2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
2008 Kawasaki C14

Offline Grumpy Goat

• Scooter
  • IBA 57952
    • The Grumpy Goat blog
  • COG#: 8923
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 12:06:54 AM »
I am in awe at how effective the Pinlock visor is at preventing fogging, and I use mine all the time: clear at night and smoked during daytime.

There are some reflections at night, hence the 'daytime use only' warning, but I have learned to ignore them. IMO zero fogging outweighs the reflection issue.
]}:-{>

2008 Kawasaki 1400GTR;  1986 Kawasaki 1000GTR;  1985 Kawasaki GPz900R;  1984 Kawasaki GT750;  1982 Suzuki GS650GT;  1981 Honda CX500;  1979 Kawasaki Z400;  1978 Kawasaki Z200

Offline Brass

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10663
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 03:56:23 AM »
I have one on my Neotec and use it in the dark with no issues, I do remember seeing that warning sticker on it not to though...  ???

Same here
Shaun - Collegeville PA
2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400 ABS - Black
To many previous bikes to mention but so far the Kawi is the best

Offline 4Bikes

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 05:38:19 AM »
I figured other forums would be discussing this and found this post on ADVrider.  I don’t have my helmet with me, but is the daytime warning stamped on the lens?

He is a snip from the post:  (the guy analyzes the stuff like BDF)

I've read a few reviews elsewhere of other riders mentioning this reflection issue in dim light, so I know I'm not the only one. The rest here is for informational/discussion purposes, so if you don't care or aren't having any problems, you can skip this part, but for those of you interested, here's my theory...

I think what's happening here is the result of two reflections. it appears that the light is passing through the face shield and reflecting off of the insert.  These "bright" spots are then reflecting back out toward the shield.  Some of the light escapes through the shield, but because the inside of the shield is also glossy, a weaker version of the bright spot reflection reflects back into the rider's eyes. Due to the curvature of the shield and lens and the approach angle of the light, the ghosting typically appears toward the center line of the helmet shield.  If you look at a light head on, you actually get two ghosts, one to either side of the light source.

The DAYTIME USE ONLY is clearly stamped on the clear lens insert as well as the smoke, so I'm guessing that Pinlock is aware of this issue and that this is the warning. This is their product, of course, and they can certainly govern its intended use, but personally,  I bought this product to do away with shield fogging when it's the worst -- cold nights. I've kind of just traded one problem for another.  It doesn't seem like it would take much in the way of design to make a version that works equally as well at night, too.

That said, I think I'd rather have ghosts than deal with fog and cold, so I'm still relatively happy with the purchase, but still, the problem can disappear with a small design change, and let's face it, this system isn't exactly cheap, so what's wrong with expecting the best in clarity?