• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

02 REAR SHOCK

buzzard53

While working on my 02 refurbishing project last night I believe I've found a leaking rear shock.
There's an accumulation of dirt/grease all over the rear suspension arms and shock boot.
I found some droplets of clear-gold colored oil clinging to the lower shock mount point.
Would this indicate a damaged shock seal???

Thanks

It might or it might not. The shock fluid starts out clear and
over time and use it turns gray to black. If somebody changed
the fluid or had the shock rebuilt they may have used something
else.

Have you recently changed the engine oil on your Connie? That sounds like the color of fairly fresh engine oil....
Charlie

I wiped down the shock last week and over the past 7 days there has not been anymore evidence of a leak.
But, the bike has been up on the center stand without any weight on the shock and hasn't been ridden during this time.

I might have a chance to fire it up and take a test ride this weekend if I get all of the prep work done and the weather cooperates. I'll certainly check the rear suspension for any new drops of oil if I get it on the road.

Just curious, is there a way of testing the shock to see if the fluid is low?

Check your bevel gear gasket. My rear shock had similar oil patterns on it and it was engine oil from below the starter.

I have a stock shock if it comes to replacing it, but I think you are looking for the source of blown engine oil.

I've cleaned the entire lower engine case and rear suspension.
Beaucephus, thanks for the offer.
The engine was completely drained of oil a month ago when I removed & replaced the oil pan gasket. I've refilled it with oil, but the motor has not been run since.
I cannot find any evidence of an oil leak in or around the bevel gear or drive shaft boot. I could not locate any oil tracks which might point to engine oil dripping from the areas of the case/block down onto the suspension arms.
The small amount of oil that is visible seems to be concentrated on the shock fork boot lower area where it mates up to the bottom mount bracket.
I find no oil when the bike is on the center stand, but do when the bike is off the stand and weight on the rear tire.
I found a reasonably priced replacement shock on Ebay from a newer 05 with only 20Kmi.
I'll switch it out when it comes in and hope this was the problem.
Thanks for all of the comments.

Hope the rear shock fixes it for you. I know my bike didn't show any signs of leaking until I rode it at highway speeds with the bevel gear gasket blown out at the top-right corner.

Pretty sure now it's the shock seal.
My replacement shock from fleabay arrived. I pulled the old shock off and removed the rubber boot. Inside the bottom of the boot was a small puddle of oil and the whole lower portion of the shock was covered in a coat of oil. Can't see any obvious tears in the seal but for sure it leaks.
Got the new shock mounted, aired up and preload set so we're good to go.
:beerchug: