• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

'03 K1200RS to replace my '04 Connie?

Have a chance to purchase at a great price. BMW has 66k on the clock, my Connie, only 16. I see plenty about FD failure. The KRS has great tech on it, factory cruise, ABS, linked brakes (8 pots up front!), and heated grips. It is also sporting a reported 135 HP at the rear wheel.

I'll probably keep them both through the Winter, then sell the Connie in the Spring. I have the Connie all sorted out, and the KRS is an unknown, but quite clean. I can buy the Bimmer for $3600, and probably get $3200 or so for the Connie, so an even trade.

The Connie feels great in the Twisties, the KRS feels heavy around town. I have spent a ton of time getting the Connie rideable. I learned alot too. Did the forks, brakes with new SS lines, lubed the drive assembly and rear swing arm linkages. It is ready to roll.

I have loans on both a KLR and the Connie, so I am not flush with money. Seems smart to hold on to the Connie until Spring to get the most out of it.

Would like to keep both, but they are similar machines. Will have them both for a while though. Probably make better bank if I sell the K bike.

Where I am now anyway.

Potential Purchase

IMAG0248.jpg

I'd sure miss the great trunk though...

I have ridden a friends bike like this and Cap'n Bob is correct about the riding position. Not as quick as a C14 and not as up to date technologically. Plenty quick and nice handling.......just not comfortable for longer rides for some.

I like the KRS, just didn't care for the aggressive riding position. I loved the KGT, though.

That case looks like my trash can, only yours is bigger. My trash guys have to use some kind of fork to pick it up!

Oh, I also have that same helmet hanger on my bike!

The sad thing of it is, I like the way the Connie handles better than the K bike. I'm not sure why, but the steering on the BMW is really heavy. The riding position is better on the Kaw too.

I don't think that model K bike is prone to FD problems...it is about the newest BMW I would consider buying...nice bikes...both of 'em!

Oh I truly lusted after an R1150RT.  But when, after a few years on a Connie, I had the opportunity to buy one, I decided I didn't like the riding position.  I felt almost embarrassed, but knew better than to ignore that little voice in the back of my head.  It was just too upright for me after a few years of the Connie Crouch.

That BMW sure is a wonderful bike, but I'll stick with Connie.

ChipDoc said:
Oh I truly lusted after an R1150RT.  But when, after a few years on a Connie, I had the opportunity to buy one, I decided I didn't like the riding position.  I felt almost embarrassed, but knew better than to ignore that little voice in the back of my head.  It was just too upright for me after a few years of the Connie Crouch.

That BMW sure is a wonderful bike, but I'll stick with Connie.

I think motorcycle is a very personal device and must "fit" owner's physique. No matter how advanced/popular/desirable a particular motorcycle/model is, if it does not "fit" your body you are not going to enjoy it. I have tried to make both of my previous Connies to "fit" me but nothing quite worked. Then, I took completely stock RT for a very short ride and it felt like a custom bike tailored specifically for me! And it still feels this way after a year and 20K miles. So, for me, between 2 Connies and the RT, everything worked exactly the opposite.

Ride any bike you like and enjoy!  :motonoises:
Alex.

CRocker and I took a ride today. Almost 60 degrees in the Denver area. Here is a pic or two.

We switched bikes a while and I learned a thing or two: the Rifle windshield set up works sweet. So much quieter behind it. The Murph peg lowering kits are not a perfect solution. They seem to leave the pegs back too far making it a reach for the brakes and the shifter. My brake controls are soft, but I don't know why. Brad's lever and pedal both had more feel. I need to move my lever at least a third of it's throw before I get any brakes. I have fresh fluid in new stainless lines with new pads. I suppose it must be air.

IMAG0313.jpg

CRocker

Comadre%252520Connie.jpg

Good Place for Burritos and to start a ride

IMAG0311.jpg

Sedalia, CO

Axxman said:
Sell them both and buy a C14 :)

IMO, Alex doesn't need a C14. He is a very mellow rider. It's not about speed with Alex. It's about enjoyment and the ride! His RT is probably the perfect bike for him. Comfortable and capable. That's all he asks for.  ;)