• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

17 Inch Tires

CRocker

I have a 2002 ZG1000 with 17" wheels front and rear...currently have Metzeler radials...120/70-17 in the front...160/70-17 in the back...they are nice tires...but, they are nearing the end of their lives after 4000 miles...and, let's face it, I ride like an old man, anymore...

I'm thinking about going to biased ply tires for a little more longevity...thinking about the Shinko 777 rear in a 160/70-17 and Pirelli Sport Demon front in a 120/70-17 size...I like the 70 series tire in the back...but, going to a 60 series isn't a deal breaker...

Probably 80% of my riding is two-up week-end recreational riding with SWMBO...

Not that I think anybody has had a chance to try these yet...not in these sizes, anyway, but...What say you?  Am I missing anything?

Thanks...

I would go with the Dunlop Roadsmart 2 or 3. Great tires. I get 10k out of a rear. 20k out of the front.

CRocker, what Metzlers are the ones you have to replace? Whenever I hear Metzlers I think of rock hard tires that go 10k+miles.
Can't help you on the bias as I have not tried any yet, good luck.

Bob_C_CT said:
CRocker, what Metzlers are the ones you have to replace? Whenever I hear Metzlers I think of rock hard tires that go 10k+miles.
Can't help you on the bias as I have not tried any yet, good luck.

Bob, the tires I put on before Brad bought the Silverbullet were Metzler Roadtec Z6 I believe.

Brad,
One option I found are the Shinko 005 Advance radials. Bike bandit has them in 120/70-17 front and 170/60-17 rear  ($72.95 for front & $107.97 for rear).

Yeah...Z6s both front and rear...the worst thing is we don’t sell a 160/70 series radial...I kind of like the 70 series and have gotten used to the final gear ratio with this tire...one of the differences is that I ride the bike...Jim only put a couple of thousand miles a year on it... :nananana:...although, he did use most all of the tire...I just seem to make a slick out of it in the center... :truce:

CRocker said:
Jim,

I am looking for more mileage that the radials provide...Roadsmart 3s are a possibility also...right now my priorities are to pull the exhaust off...put the center stand on...and pull the rear wheel...

Are you coming to this area for an extended period of time?

I see that the Arkansas Folk Festival is scheduled for April 21 & 22 in Mountain View...http://www.arkansasfairsandfestivals.com/507867-arkansas-folk-festival-mountain-view-arkansas-april-2018.html#.WsOTIZch3IU

I am going to Cliff's ride on the 19 thru 21st of this month.

Brad,
Here are two more options to look at.

Bridgestone BT-020-M

Shinto 777

Both are available in 120/70-17 front  and 160/70-17 rear.

Another option for bias ply tires is the Avon AM-26 front (120/70-17)  and a Metzler Lazertec bias rear (160/70-17)

Jim,

I am thinking about that Shinko 777 rear 160/70-17...it comes in a 120/90-17 front, though...so, no go there...

If I go with that tire, I will probably get the Pirelli Sport Demon in a 120/70-17 for the front...

I might just try that combo and see how they work...

Argh!  I got the tires...but, the “alleged” new Pirelli has a DOT date of 3114 and is hard as a rock!  Having to wait through the week end to sort through this makes for a long couple of days...at least it’s only in the 30s right now...

CRocker said:
Argh!  I got the tires...but, the “alleged” new Pirelli has a DOT date of 3114 and is hard as a rock!  Having to wait through the week end to sort through this makes for a long couple of days...at least it’s only in the 30s right now...

Who did you buy those tires from?
Would be nice to share with us, so other folks don't get surprised...

I've been pretty lucky tho, all the tires I've bought in the last 16 years have been current "less than 8 months old" items..

Id be on the phone with them first thing in the morning, "a new" tire with a 4 year old date of mfg number is not what some of us call acceptable sales practice...  unless it was like 60% off and pre understood that price was reflected as it is "old stock"..

Bummer...
I don't go thru tires as fast as I used to, but everytime I order some, I make it clear over the phone, I don't want "old stock"...
Even tho I'm "old fashioned", because I always place my orders over a telephone with someone, and ask before I pay.

Hope it all works out tho,  geesh, now I feel dumb/guilty, because I have 2 bikes sitting idle, both wearing practically new tires, that are now between 12 to 15 years old....  :mad: :mad: :mad: :'( :'(

" I feel dumb/guilty, because I have 2 bikes sitting idle, both wearing practically new tires, that are now between 12 to 15 years old...."

You must mean you have two sets of old tires mounted with lots of tread on them...wow...it sounds worse when you say it that way... :beerchug:

Not sure if you have replaced your Metzlers yet, but a very good radial tire is the Continental Conti Motion series. The 170/60-17 rear worked well for me, and the 120/70-17 front. I got about 11,000 miles on the rear before I replaced it, and I did the front too, as it had some wear, like scalloping, but not bad. I could have got another 4,000 miles out of it, I am sure. Both tires were shipped to my door for under $160.
I replaced the rear with a 150/70-17 because I needed one, and the 170 that we mounted at my friend's shop wasn't any good, had a bad bead from him mounting it on another bike, and removing it. But, I like the 150/70-17, it rides very nice on the Mean Streak rim. I wish Continental made the tire in a 160/70-17, but they only offer it in the 160/60-17 size, which I felt would be too low a profile tire for my taste.
Try them, you might be pleasantly surprised!
Charlie

i'm running Dunlop RSII right now and will go to the RSIII this winter when riding season is over  they have good wet grip, which is a big deal here in the coastal NW.  i do like the 160/70 rear, higher load rating and lower rpms.  i am not totally done with my RSIIs yet, but they will be used up by the time the rain starts again.  if i recall, they've got like 9K or 10K on them right now.
-Brian

tdbru said:
i'm running Dunlop RSII right now and will go to the RSIII this winter when riding season is over  they have good wet grip, which is a big deal here in the coastal NW.  i do like the 160/70 rear, higher load rating and lower rpms.  i am not totally done with my RSIIs yet, but they will be used up by the time the rain starts again.  if i recall, they've got like 9K or 10K on them right now.
-Brian
  I just changed out my RS3 back tire with a new one. 9600 miles. Very happy.