• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

1983 GL650 Silverwing Interstate Project Pics

Thanks! :great:  Do we have anyone here that is a whiz at polishing out the valve covers and the clutch cover?  That will be on my list of things to farm out in the future.

Thanks for the compliments guys!  I said I was going to have it running by the end of November.  I thought I had allowed enough time for life to get in the way a bit....but then there was that 1400 mile run to Savannah and back to trade my son's Speed Triple during some really great weather.  Then a burst of computer repair work.  Now it's freezing!!  If I ever build another garage, it will be well insulated as well as heated and cooled from the get go!  Insulating and all that wouldn't be that tough if it weren't for almost 25 years of STUFF in it!  I sure would love a weeks worth of warm weather......please??

Looks great!
When I polished out the valve covers on my CX500, I used a variable speed angle buffer (Harbor Freight, about $40) with first red, then white compound. This was after taking off the roughest scaling with a brass bristle brush. The grooves in the CX500 are difficult to polish inside. My best results were with the brass brush on a Dremmel, followed by the same polishing routine.

It will of course be easier with the valve covers removed and in a padded vice.

Attachments

• pinky cx500.JPG
    pinky cx500.JPG
    346.1 KB · Views: 164
I wanted a GL500 Silverwing really bad back then but ended up with a 1980 CX500 Deluxe instead. The 650 was definitely a positive move on Hondas part.

The achilles heel on the 500s is the waterpump; they will eventually leak. The dealers had a special tool to press in the seal that fits into the back engine cover because having it square/level was extremely important. I don't know if the pumps were improved on the 650 so it would be wise to be certain it is taken care of.

Took a good look through your pictures (thanks for the show) and it looks like you tore that thing about as apart as it could be. Good Job and it is looking great.

Bud, I had that identical bike a long while back. It also had the factory tail trunk that replaced the rear seat when you didn't near rear passenger space. The CX/GL 650 was a nice bike. Kind of bullet proof. It was a little funky getting use to the side to side vibration at idle. Good memories. Your bike looks very nice.

I was glad I had the 83. The one year of the 650 was a marked improvement over the 500, which in itself was a fine bike. Especially in Silverwing Interstate trim the 650 have much better power to move that fairly large bike.

Brooke_Benfield_OR said:
I wanted a GL500 Silverwing really bad back then but ended up with a 1980 CX500 Deluxe instead. The 650 was definitely a positive move on Hondas part.

The achilles heel on the 500s is the waterpump; they will eventually leak. The dealers had a special tool to press in the seal that fits into the back engine cover because having it square/level was extremely important. I don't know if the pumps were improved on the 650 so it would be wise to be certain it is taken care of.

Took a good look through your pictures (thanks for the show) and it looks like you tore that thing about as apart as it could be. Good Job and it is looking great.
I replaced the mechanical seal in the water pump while it was apart.  The main reason the engine got pulled was because the starter clutch was slipping to the point of squealing when you tried to start it.  Since it's gotten so freaking cold, I've not done any more work on it.  We'll see it the work I did to the water pump and starter clutch was successful.  Hope so....if not I'll pull it and try again.  I'm sure I'll be faster the second time!  This is the first time to tear one down so far all at one time.  I've rebuilt a wrecked interceptor and installed an engine in the GS1150ES rolling chassis I bought years ago....so this was/is a pretty big project for me.  I think the project thing is a sign of me getting old.  In the past I worked on them mostly to avoid paying a shop.  These days, I see it more as therapy.  What's up with that?  Oh yeah.....I want my warm weather back!! :mad:

Cap'n Bob said:
Bud, I had that identical bike a long while back. It also had the factory tail trunk that replaced the rear seat when you didn't near rear passenger space. The CX/GL 650 was a nice bike. Kind of bullet proof. It was a little funky getting use to the side to side vibration at idle. Good memories. Your bike looks very nice.

I was glad I had the 83. The one year of the 650 was a marked improvement over the 500, which in itself was a fine bike. Especially in Silverwing Interstate trim the 650 have much better power to move that fairly large bike.
This one has the taller trunk as well.  It's missing the backrest.  That's another thing I'm going to have to buy as well as a left fairing lower.  I've always had an interest in Honda's twisted twins.  I like having something that's a bit different from my other bikes and other bikes I see on the road.  It would be difficult for me to own a Harley for that reason.  Thanks to everyone for the encouragement! :great:

34 years and these are still cool bikes!
Always liked them, and got tempted several times, but in the end I waited for the C10.
Useless tidbit of info:  Anderson IN (where we lived from 1983 to 2015) used the 650 interstates as police bikes for many years.
Nice work!!

So I took a trip to some tiny place called Englewood,TN last month and picked up some much needed parts for the SilverWing.  I bought a decent fairing with a good windshield as well as the lowers that go with it and some other misc stuff (Hondaline stereo) for $90 from a really nice motorhead.  I saw parts of TN that I had never seen before.  It was a great day with some beautiful scenery!  Walked through this bike boneyard called 6 mile cycle https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x885e9a8374085e5b:0x70ded7fc2b1e841d!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipP5NzRwMaCsN-M323drI1dz8AYEHVmJiF4FcTE%3Dw312-h176-k-no!5s6+mile+cycle+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipP5NzRwMaCsN-M323drI1dz8AYEHVmJiF4FcTE&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjZ48fs1braAhXIxYMKHZwaCkEQoiowCnoFCAAQkwE  All I can say is WOW!  Lots of history there.  Too bad most of the stuff is outside.  So I've made more progress on the bike.  I still have to de-rust the inside of the fuel tank with metal rescue (love that stuff) and buy a set of mufflers.  It's just about there.  New pics in the google photos folder for those interested.  All I need is MO MONEY! :'(  Anyone want to adopt me? :))
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPMk-BlNw6jD0bb5VRyWm8hY6Q0DxUaLQP8p77ASTKPl522zmm-R7hwBKLGg_i4vw?key=SmhCZW8zaXZyUUZ0aEJDVWo0X2oxZ0h2U3lkalNB

My comment was going to be "what a labor of love!" but then you bring the whole money thing.  :mad:

You have just about transformed every piece of the bike. Beautiful job!

Thanks to all for the compliments and encouragement!  Well, it was a labor of love and a bit of an adventure as well!  I love the hunt for the bike and parts.  I love the alone time in my garage.  I love bringing something back to life and saving it from the salvage yard.  Now if I could just figure out how to do all of this without money!!  I've got plenty more work to do on other bikes in the meantime.  My son's C10 project still needs to be completed.  My son's C14 needs the final drive swapped and new tires mounted as well as the plastics put back on.  My C10 is getting a freshly painted upper fairing installed as well as some new farkles I bought recently that includes a nice set of helibar horizons, a fork brace, heat shields, murphs headlight wiring upgrade and a new set of tires.  What to do next? >:D

Bud said:
Well, it was a labor of love and a bit of an adventure as well!  I love the hunt for the bike and parts.  I love the alone time in my garage.  I love bringing something back to life and saving it from the salvage yard. 

:goodpost:  :iagree: 

Great rescue Bud, love the attention to detail!  :great: :great:

I finally got some mufflers.
I can actually start it now without waking the dead!

Attachments

• 1983 GL650 w Mufflers.jpg
    1983 GL650 w Mufflers.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 198
It would be interesting to see how your 83 GL 650 compares to my 2014 CTX700, bet they are very similar in size, ride, power.  I test drove a GL500 back in the day and didn't think it had much more get and go than the CL350 I owned at the time.  So passed it by bought a Yamaha Vision instead.     

2014 CTX700N SPECIFICATIONS *
ENGINE
Horsepower 51.1 @ 6250 RPM
Torque  46 lb/ft @ 4750 RPM
Engine Type 670cc liquid-cooled parallel-twin
Bore and Stroke 73mm x 80mm
Induction PGM-FI, 36mm throttle body
Ignition Digital transistorized with electronic advance
Compression Ratio 10.7:1
Valve Train SOHC; four valves per cylinder
DRIVE TRAIN
Transmission Six-speed
Final Drive Chain
CHASSIS / SUSPENSION / BRAKES
Front Suspension 41mm fork, 4.2 inches travel
Rear Suspension Pro-Link ® single shock; 4.3 inches travel
Front Brake Single 320mm disc with two-piston caliper
Rear Brake Single 240mm disc with single-piston caliper
Front Tire 120/70-17
Rear Tire 160/60-17
DIMENSIONS
Rake (caster angle) 27.7 degrees
Trail 114.0mm (4.4 inches)
Wheelbase 60.2 inches
Seat Height 28.3 inches
Curb Weight 478.4 pounds. Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride
Fuel Capacity 3.17 gallons
Estimated Fuel Economy † TBD
OTHER
Model ID CTX700N
Emissions Meets current EPA standards. Models sold in California meet current CARB standards and may differ
slightly due to emissions equipment.
Available Colors Cool Candy Red, Black

1983 GL650
Horsepower 64 @ 8000 RPM
Torque  45.7 lb/ft @ 6000 RPM

Attachments

• 1983 GL650 Specs.png
    1983 GL650 Specs.png
    312.4 KB · Views: 121
Very close...my guess is the CTX would loose a race though the gears but that a roll on race in 4th or 5th gears would be dead even.  Mine has the minor nuisance of the chain but I don't have carbs. My guess is the CTX engine will last forever but we don't know that for sure yet.  The new technology of the CTX will however most likely win the mpg race, I have averaged over 71 mpg for the last 600 miles.  Bring the GL650 to the Spider ride in Sept. I will be there on the CTX. 

No, other than my CTX having the factory faring and tall windshield my only option so far is an automatic chain oilier.  I will eventually get a center-stand but that's about as far as I plan to go. I will bungee a bag behind me for an overnight trip and dig out my tour master tank bag.  I am renting a cabin this time at the spider ride with another coger from my area so that should be all I need for supplies. Oh the 2 times I loaded up the old C10 with the suitcases full, tank bag, bunged behind me the tent and sleeping bag.I could hardly get on and off the bike. But the C10 didn't care it just said let's go ride!

Bud said:
I finally got some mufflers.
I can actually start it now without waking the dead!

I have a CX500 on my project list and would like to know what mufflers you picked and if there were any issues installing them.

They came off of an 883 I believe.  I'd have to ask the guy I got them from about the year.  The guy I bought some armor from in Bloomington, IN had them.  Told him I'd give him $40 for them.  He texted after I got home and said that he would bring them to me for $50.  When he got here, they were the ones that had the crossover tube coming out the side of them.  I didn't have the heart to tell him I didn't want them, so I rtv'd some beer can aluminum into those tubes to seal them off and called it good.  I think you want probably older 883 or dynaglyde mufflers.  All I had to do was pull the bushing from the H box, slide them in and tighten the clamps.  There is a guy on the CX forum that does carbs and other things for the CX.  He has tubes made up to replace the H box if that is desired.  He also does a non CV carb setup that adds some grunt.  Love to have them, but they are like $550 or something like that.
If I had a CX, I'd go for one of the CX reproduction ones.  I would have went that way but it sounded like 500 cans might not work out on the 650.  You might also look at Triumph Thruxton mufflers.  At some point those went to stainless steel. 

Great job on the rebuild. 15 years ago I had a CX500 custom. Which the now wife and I used to ride all over the place. I traded up to a CX650E which I loved but the wife hated the looks of. Sold it when I moved up north. Bought a GL 650 2 years ago to get back into biking.
Ended up needing a lot of work. So I sold it to a gent who was going to cafe racer it.
I still have the fairing, trunk with the extension (to use rear seat and trunk at same time) saddlebags and lower fairings.
Message me if you need any parts.
They were a great bike, but I do love my c10 because it’s never broken.

Thanks for the muffler info!  One more questions

Were the Harley mufflers the right size to fit the OEM CX header receivers with stock exhaust gaskets?

I went out to the garage and looked at the muffler joint again.  They have a pretty snug fit. Since I have a big can of never-seez on the shelf that says extreme heat on it, that's what I"m going to try.  I may run a really small bead of high temp rtv on the exposed connection.  I really want to be able to get these off when desired.