• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2002 gpz 10 volt draw key off. Need help

RBBS

Big Wheel
Battery wont stay charged, it has a 10 volt draw with the key off. Could it possibly be the ignition switch ???? Any help would be grateful...

What do you mean '10 volt draw'... are you saying the battery is charged to a certain voltage and it drops to 10 volts when connected? Or, did you mean a 10 amp draw? Could be the ignition switch, or any of a number of things... you need to do some basic trouble shooting, like, unplug the ignition switch to see if the draw goes away...

10 amp draw when off. New Battery. I have tried to unplug ignition. Did not fix. Thanks though. Any other ideas?

Try unplugging the alternator, (and/ or the regulator if you can unplug it separately), remove fuses, etc... Any aftermarket wiring, lights, etc.?

Look the wiring over carefully for any spot that is worn through, melted, etc. Anything that can be unplugged, unplug it and see if the short goes away.

How are you determining a 10 amp draw?

I have been using positive cable unhooked and amp probe between battery and positive cable. It is down to 2.35 draw per amp gauge.

Had a faulty amp meter that was showing 10 amp draw. Tried 2 different meters and showing 2. 35. Still having found the source of 2.35 drain. What is normal amp draw?
I have checked over wiring. Can't find any worn or bare wires. Have unplugged all plugs I can find underneath gas tank, removed fuse, checked aftermath wiring, and not found drain. Put new battery in recently. Not sure if drain was happening before change of battery.  Old battery was about 5 yrs old.
Thanks for any ideas.

Unless you have something like a clock that is on all the time, there should be virtually no draw. Certainly not a couple of amps. Even with a clock, it should be in the milliamp range, not amps. Are you sure the meter is not set up reading milliamps? How long before the battery dies, like, overnight, or are we talking weeks?

Robin, You need to explain how you are checking this.  are you reading Amps or Volts.  How have you got your meter hooked up? ETC