• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2014 SW regional rally location poll

Possible locations for a 2014 SW regional rally

• Nor Cal 1st qt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nor Cal 2nd qt

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Nor Cal 3rd qt

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Nor Cal 4 qt

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • AZ 1st qt

• AZ 2nd qt

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • AZ 3rd qt

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • AZ 4th qt

• Total voters

OMoaC

For a possible announcement at the 2013 SW regional Red Rock and Rally a location for a 2014 Regional Rally. Because of the diverse topography, Northern and Southern CA and NV are divided into 2 groups but more can be added. Looking for interest and participation. No snivelling about lack of events in the SW region. Vote. Join.Participate. What say you? Have suggestions? Throw 'em out. Places to stay and see? Post 'em. Rolling Rally? Say So. I want Camping? Let 'er rip. I like highway miles? Naw, never mind. Throw it out and let's see what stick's. Mod, Can we get another sticky? Let's dance. :motonoises:

Mammoth is nice. Good compromise for the arrival and departure, not too many choices for a good day ride, maybe loop through Nevada? Could Topaz Lake work, there are several ways to crisscross the Sierras for a day ride then.
The other side of the Sierras is a harder trek for members out of California but a better selection of Day rides.
If we pick Ca. next  I would probably show up wherever. :great:

Arizona, who would what to go anywhere else :-[ ?  It's full of California refugees, at least the ones that could get out.  Californians come see your new home  :beerchug:.  But seriously, northern Arizona is high country not desert.  Check out Oak Creek and Sedona.  Then lets go visit my five girlfriends at Nellie Bly's in Jerome.  Yes my wife knows about them, they've been know to stop by at the B&B we stay at.  After that we'll climb to the top of Mingus Mountain 140 +/- turns in tight hairpins that will make the Alps look like a straight line. From there it's down to Prescott and Whiskey Row :beerchug: and then onto Skull Valley for more lunch :beerchug:.  Lots of places to play and stay.

48 votes for Arizona

Bert

DGOLD said:
Mammoth is nice. Good compromise for the arrival and departure, not too many choices for a good day ride, maybe loop through Nevada? Could Topaz Lake work, there are several ways to crisscross the Sierras for a day ride then.
The other side of the Sierras is a harder trek for members out of California but a better selection of Day rides.
If we pick Ca. next  I would probably show up wherever. :great:

I suggested Mammoth because we've held several successful rally's there in the past and I know it would bring out a big group. Our last rally there had almost 50 people. Great access no matter where you come from and there is more nice riding than you may suspect, like the woops on 120 east.

Topaz is OK, but I don't know much about the area - have to contact my local expert.

Attachments

• Linda_small.JPG
    Linda_small.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 108
like the woops on 120 east.
[/quote]
Oops, don't say "woops", anything but "woops", around my better half.  She would vote for your ride everytime.  We were at a Cog rally up in Mammoth in '92 or '93 and had a great time. Nice roads.

Bert

I submitted a vote for Arid-zona.  The Sedona area is spectacular.
Anyway you look at it - I'll get to enjoy the ride from Colorado!

notsluggo said:
Way cool, if we do Sedona we'll have to eat at the Cowboy Club.  Reta and I had a buffalo flank steak salad there that was out of this world good.  Check out their web site if you like.  Great place to eat and water down.

Bert

BertL said:
notsluggo said:
Way cool, if we do Sedona we'll have to eat at the Cowboy Club.  Reta and I had a buffalo flank steak salad there that was out of this world good.  Check out their web site if you like.  Great place to eat and water down.

Bert
Cowboy Club is nice but if you want to sample some of the strange things like cactus fries, rattle snake, and buffalo, plan on a meal around $30 each.  Just FYI.  Prices have gone up, I was up there last month after 3 years and had to leave, not able to afford to feed the family of 5.

Cowboy Club is nice but if you want to sample some of the strange things like cactus fries, rattle snake, and buffalo, plan on a meal around $30 each.  Just FYI.  Prices have gone up, I was up there last month after 3 years and had to leave, not able to afford to feed the family of 5.
[/quote]
I just checked out their menu.  Salads around $7.00, burgers $12.00 and Signature dishes around $27.00.  That's in line with what we pay here, at a nice restaurant, down by the river.  Granted, I wouldn't make it a daily habit or take all the niece's, nephew's and 3rd cousins twice removed, but than again, once in awhile with good friends it's worth the price of admission.

Bert

Old Man on a Connie said:
Keep it coming SW. It's your rally. Jim, Is kernville middle or south? :beerchug:
Mark

Kernville is in the South as it's in the north end of Kern County.  If memory serves me, Fresno is in the middle of the state.  That is also Rolland Hill's riding and stomping area.  We sold him our '86 Connie way back when.

Bert

DGOLD said:
I would call Kernville the middle of the state, but only just.

Kernville is on a line drawn between between Bakersfield and Ridgecrest - that makes it southern Cali. Just ask anyone who grew up in that area.

Not a bad area for a rally, but lodging for a big group would probably be down around Lake Isabella and that's not cheap.

Good stuff folks. Things to keep in mind. The 2014 national scheduling and time of year. Mountains are the place to be in the summer and the lower and upper desert shine in spring and fall. Also some States that border with other areas can throw a combined rally.

Good stuff folks. Things to keep in mind. The 2014 national scheduling and time of year. Mountains are the place to be in the summer and the lower and upper desert shine in spring and fall. Also some States that border with other areas can throw a combined rally.
The timing is also contingent on the National Rally.  In AZ we have the summer Monsoon season.  However, the high country tends to be just drop dead gorgeous in September and early October.

Bert

Ok Mark, time to end the poll as AZ's ahead by two - don't want those California folks jumping in and stealing the party  :rotflmao:

Bert

DGOLD said:
I would call Kernville the middle of the state, but only just.
Apparently you haven't lived in Kern County.  The folks in the county seat, in the main, would not agree with you  >:D.

Bert

DGOLD said:
BertL said:
Ok Mark, time to end the poll as AZ's ahead by two - don't want those California folks jumping in and stealing the party  :rotflmao:

Bert

Hey!!
I dunno. This could get tricky. If we combine all CA votes..........well. We all know Ca should be 3 seperate states anyway. South, Central and North. And Yes I'm an original Californian that lived in both Central and Southern. I'd like the peeps that voted for Northern NV to chime in with ideas 'cause there is some really purtty stuff up there. Reno is nice, good lodging and access to mammoth, tahoe and lassen. Elko has some great riding into ID and over to Ely. Nice temps. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. I haven't voted yet. :confuse: :campfire:

DGOLD said:
BertL said:

Bert

Hey!!
I dunno. This could get tricky. If we combine all CA votes..........well. We all know Ca should be 3 seperate states anyway. South, Central and North. And Yes I'm an original Californian that lived in both Central and Southern. I'd like the peeps that voted for Northern NV to chime in with ideas 'cause there is some really purtty stuff up there. Reno is nice, good lodging and access to mammoth, tahoe and lassen. Elko has some great riding into ID and over to Ely. Nice temps. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. I haven't voted yet. :confuse: :campfire:
Mark, I've got it covered.  We can stack the Cali. votes together and have a ride from San Ysidro up to Grants Pass Oregon and call it the 3 in 1 plus 1 ride.

I'm also a California refugee as we worked our way up from San Diego to North Monterey County.  It takes too long to swim across the Pacific pond so we headed East instead.

Bert

Mark, I need my vote for Colorado reset please.  Sorry Bradman.  After a good deal of thought...

Colorado - Stunning - I've done it many times and it's hard to beat.  Did it last year.
Northern Cali - Magnificent Redwoods.  Did that last year too into and across Oregon.
Northern Nevada/Central Cali - Beautiful.  Lived in Reno for 7 years.  LOVE the Sierra's, Mt. Rose and Tahoe.
Southern Cali - Gorgeous.  Rode Topaz Lake, Mono Lake down to Bishop 3 years ago.

Arizona - Have never ridden in Arizona. I've heard Sedona is an incredibly cool town and the area, amazing.  A late September or early October ride would fit a nice gap in my Northern Utah riding season.  Could be chilly gettin' back home, but I'm game.

So...that's my vote, Arizona.

So far AZ is kicking Butt. I'll let this roll for another week or 2 and then we can crown the winner. Then we can break it down into locations and dates. What say you? (I already know what your thinking Bert). :motonoises:

So far AZ is kicking Butt.

I wouldn't say kicking butt. Cali is up by one. No other states got split into 3. Come on, it's about making things fair. If you're gonna split Cali, ya gotta split the rest.

I viote for a new, fair poll!!!!

Arizona is fine during the right time of year but whats the rush to decide? Is the date not as important as the location?

So far AZ is kicking Butt. I'll let this roll for another week or 2 and then we can crown the winner. Then we can break it down into locations and dates. What say you? (I already know what your thinking Bert). :motonoises:
Thinking, thinking?? :rotflmao: It's 75% "in the can" just some loose ends to tie up hopefully  ???.

HOWEVER, we could use a few more votes for AZ to nail this one down  :beerchug:. Yes, I am as shameless as a professional politician pandering for votes  :-\ Uncle Bert needs you.

Am I sensing some local Pride? Good on all of ya! :great: Jim, Cali was 2. Sometimes splitting the vote's a minus. David, your absoloutley correct. Mammoth in Jan and Sedona in August would both be miserable. Dates and locations go hand in hand. I aren't smart enough to split these polls in so many different ways. I was going for following the national lead and having a location to announce at this year's Red Rock'n Rally. What about this? We use this as a guideline and get a secret Ballot at the regional this year to select locations and dates? After the tally we can make an announcement? Those who participate decide? Again, what say you members? I will say this, it's great to see some interaction for rides and rally's in the SW area. All you folks this rides for you. Keep the discussion going. :beerchug:

How about this, something to consider, there are 7 states in our region by my count using all my fingers and some of my toes.  Hawaii is out. Using old math that leaves 6 viable states.  It's reasonable to assume most Cog members would like to have a Regional Rally in their state so why not cycle through each state starting with Utah.  You can use a poll to pick the next state.  Then next year another poll on the 4 remaining states and so on. You could also pick the order by state names drawn out of a helmet.  Each state would cycle through.  States with issues could opt out of that cycle or maybe get help or resources from a neighboring state.

Just some thoughts thrown out.

Bert

maybe northern nevada,you could do nevada, utah and arizona all in one day three of the sw region states.

scooter said:
maybe northern nevada,you could do nevada, utah and arizona all in one day three of the sw region states.

Pretty sure Scoot meant "southern" Nevada.  This is akin to a Rollin' Rally, which is also a viable option.  However, I like Berts suggestion.  We could do Utah this year and pull the remaining states at random for the following year or pull all states one at a time and run them in order.  That seems like maybe the fairest you're gonna get.

Mark, just in case the poll still retains any validity whatsoever.. :eek:..did you switch my Colorado vote to an Arizona vote?

[/quote]

Pretty sure Scoot meant "southern" Nevada.  This is akin to a Rollin' Rally, which is also a viable option.  However, I like Berts suggestion.  We could do Utah this year and pull the remaining states at random for the following year or pull all states one at a time and run them in order.  That seems like maybe the fairest you're gonna get.

Mark, just in case the poll still retains any validity whatsoever.. :eek:..did you switch my Colorado vote to an Arizona vote?
[/quote]
Mike, of course the poll is valid as long as AZ's ahead  :rotflmao:

Mark, in Chicago the dead vote early and often, I'm not dead, yet, but can I vote again?

Bert

Nope north like mesquite maybe not sure if there's enough riding for a rally but I've rode there a few times and there are some fun short rides. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the area can chime in

I think it's a good idea butt.........just some issues I am guessing at. Who would be the state rep to opt out and put up with the guff? What if a state is pulled and we struggle with folks to throw the party? The SW area needs a better infrastructure for this. I'm told it's being worked on. Scooters idea is intriguing. Mequite's So Nev and you can hit NV, AZ and UT in about an hour (that chunk of the AZ strip canyon is fun!) 4 corners (AZ, NM, CO, UT)? Tahoe Friday Night, across No. NV on Sat into UT Sat night. Rolling rally's sound like fun but a logistical nightmare me thinks. I'm suprised to see no votes for So Cal. From San Juan Cap south there is some great riding and scenery. Almost to much must do riding here. Dgold has a good point too. Date can really effect area choice. I also talked to the WY AAD and the SoCent area about maybe putting something together to join up for the 2014 National way out travel. This is all good stuff folks and I'm not the final judge. Just a reluctant organizer. You guy's pick a spot and I'll do my best to help organize it. BTW, Don't forget about the 2013 Red Rock'n Rally June 7,8.9 in Cedar City Utah CU There

The SW area needs a better infrastructure for this. 

If there's enough interest in putting on Regional Rallies, maybe at some future point, we need to discuss a Rally Organization Team.  Large projects can be daunting to say the least.  However a large project is nothing more then a series of smaller tasks some of which may be unfamiliar and unanticipated so it becomes stressful  :mad:.  If you have an Organizational Team to guide your team you don't have to reinvent the wheel each time - just modify it to roll down your path a little smoother  :beerchug:.

Just a thought,

Bert

I'm not up on what all it takes to putt one of these rides on. When you go through more than one state and have to deal with rules and such I guess it's a pain, just thought that mesquite would have nice weather,lodging ,food and beer plus the multiple state thing going for it

scooter said:
I'm not up on what all it takes to putt one of these rides on. When you go through more than one state and have to deal with rules and such I guess it's a pain, just thought that mesquite would have nice weather,lodging ,food and beer plus the multiple state thing going for it
:great:

scooter said:
Scooter, why not just do this as a scheduled event.  Sounds like it could be fun.  Map it out, tell us what you have in mind, from where to where and on what roads.

I'm in Bullhead AZ.  This sounds like a nice little get away & I'm always up for getting away, way away.

Bert

I took the top 2. Nor Cal and AZ. Then split them into 1st through 4th quarters for a possible date. The positive thing here is I rec'd emails from folks in each of these areas that would be willing to work on a regional  so votes are again open. Please keep in mind folks I'm just the guy trying to herd cats here. If anyone else is willing to jump in with suggestions (and these are suggestions) chime in. Also keep in mind the 2014 national dates. Cheer's. C U in Cedar City. :great: :beerchug: :)

I took the top 2. Nor Cal and AZ. Then split them into 1st through 4th quarters for a possible date. The positive thing here is I rec'd emails from folks in each of these areas that would be willing to work on a regional  so votes are again open. Please keep in mind folks I'm just the guy trying to herd cats here. If anyone else is willing to jump in with suggestions (and these are suggestions) chime in. Also keep in mind the 2014 national dates. Cheer's. C U in Cedar City. :great: :beerchug: :)

I think for AZ 2nd quarter say May or 3rd quarter in late Sept. or early Oct. would work for a rally in the High Country.  While summer's up there are nice we have monsoon's to deal with and crossing the Mohave in the summer on a bike does not make for happy campers  :mad:.

Bert

Early 4th quarter or late 3rd quarter could be really nice in AZ with color changes and temperatures.  October is a great time to ride.

Be hard to argue with that Jim. I'll let this roll for another week, Pic the top 2 and we'll go from there. Get your votes in now. :motonoises: :beerchug:

MikeB said:
Brian said:
Early 4th quarter or late 3rd quarter could be really nice in AZ with color changes and temperatures.  October is a great time to ride.

Totally Agree!
+1

And I 3rd that!!  Of course, I'm biased (living in the Valley of the Sun Stroke as I do)...  No.Cal. would be awesome too, so I'm happy wherever it's held.  How's that for decisive!?!  :rotflmao:

Thank you to all who replied.  :great: The poll is locked. Nor Cal in the 3rd q is ahead with AZ in the 3rd q a close 2nd. Here is the current thinking and I would like members input. In 2013 with the National in our relatively back yard in August we would like to concentrate on day and overnight rides in the SW area and rebuild our infrastructure. Currently on the calendar for '13 is the Red Rock 'n Rally in Cedar City UT and the Oatman Ride in No AZ/NV. Day rides in all areas and at least 1 overnighter (think Death Valley/Kernville) are being discussed. Planning for 2014 is underway with a possible regional in AZ late 1st/2nd q (with the desert wildflowers blooming) and a regional in Nor Cal for early 3rd q before the snow sets in. Please jump in and give opinions and suggestions as your voices are heard! Let's dance.
Mark
COG/SWAD