• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2018 C14 how to cautiously remove brake / clutch reservour cover with out stripping

cybercopdan

Happy day to this kind great group of fellow more experienced riders.
I took my bike into the shop for basic maint and after getting it back I see the brake and clutch reservours are lower than I thought they should be. Just a little closer to the lower level so I would have thought they would have topped them off. Guess I expect to much :) My bike has about 25K on it now and as I read more about brake fluids on bikes I see one should have them flushed every two years. Something I'll get done by the shop in the future. But figured I would add some DOT 4 to the reservours this week. I ordered a brake fluid tester to check the quality of the fluid too. The fluid looks clear from what I can see through the plastic windows. So was going to take off the cover and add some fluid for now. However I fear I may strip the screws and fear I'll damage things. I watched a few videos seeing how people unscrew the covers with various tools but those are against older metal reservours. What direction / steps would you all give me to avoid damaging the screws and or reservours? I believe some of the videos indicated to use an impact hammer to tap the (proper fitting) phillips down into the screws. I suspect this would not be the best approach for these plastic reservours. Any guidance / direction you could provide me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all! Dan

I think you're worrying too much. A proper fitting JIS screwdriver is all you need. These screws don't need to be torqued down a lot. The screwdriver in the tool kit should be fine.

I think you're worrying too much. A proper fitting JIS screwdriver is all you need. These screws don't need to be torqued down a lot. The screwdriver in the tool kit should be fine.
Use of a typical Phillips head screwdriver is probably the #1 cause of damaged screws. I change my fluid every season using a JIS with no issue. The clutch fluid always gets dirty the fastest even if the water content is low. I always cut a cross pattern in blue paper shop towels to tuck around each reservoir to catch drips. An old towel protects the gas tank and a wet cloth is near. Brake fluid will damage paint quickly so you can’t be too careful.