• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2018 H2-SX

godpossessed

Tricycle
I have recently had the opportunity to speak with someone from Kawasaki marketing and they indicated that the dealers are not ordering many of these for their showrooms. There are concerns with the price point. The magazines should have their hands on one soon for approved review and evaluation. The Fat Ninja family tree continues to branch.

Godpossessed said:
I have recently had the opportunity to speak with someone from Kawasaki marketing and they indicated that the dealers are not ordering many of these for their showrooms. There are concerns with the price point. The magazines should have their hands on one soon for approved review and evaluation. The Fat Ninja family tree continues to branch.

Yea, 22k (19k) sport tourers don't sell so well in America, regardless of the marque.

Akumu said:
Godpossessed said:

Yea, 22k (19k) sport tourers don't sell so well in America, regardless of the marque.
KTM seems to be doing OK
https://www.google.com/search?ei=-EhEWveKAcaFmwGO05CoBg&q=ktm+1290+super+duke+gt+price&oq=ktm+1290+super+duke+gt&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.1.0.0i71k1l5.0.0.0.5173.1.1.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1..64.mobile-gws-serp..1.0.0....188.drM99I2QG2k

KTM are not doing ok in America with the GT. They brought assloads of 16s in, some of which are still on showroom floors. They barely brought any 17s in, and they sold better, due to some tweaks. (Because the 16 model of that 20k bike has kick stand tangs snapping off, suspension problems, exhaust servo problems that force the bike into limp mode and a few others.) They won't be brining in any 18s...until the remaining 16s sell, if then. As usual, practical bikes sell better in AU and EU.

Definitely not ok. :(

Source: forums and every KTM dealership I've called. (Not just local.)

I would say if you look at an H2-SX be sure to ride a Ninja 1000 for comparison. You could definitely add Cruise if you felt it necessary and save almost $10,000 in the process. I've had no real complaints with mine and it has plenty of power. Windshield is also adjustable which is not the case on the SX. I am interested to ride one but really have no idea where I would use another 75 horsepower.

I'll report on it as soon as I get my axx on it. I put my down payment on a SE and it should be in and my butt on it by the end of February.

KevinRLI said:
I'll report on it as soon as I get my axx on it. I put my down payment on a SE and it should be in and my butt on it by the end of February.

So jealous! Tuning in, please keep us posted...  :popcorn:

The front range Colorado dealer is expecting delivery on one H2-SX this month.
It will be a demo for a select customer base. I'm honored to be in that base.
200hp is nice but I'm going to give the H2 a couple years to refine.

They also have a new 2016 ZX10R that I've been wanting since December. This puppy is considerably less expensive!

Are we looking at the replacement for the Concours?  The side strakes, the luggage, the reminders of "better mileage/more power with a smaller motor.  I'll be surprised to see a 2019 Concours.

This bike is vastly different from the C-14.  Would be hard to see it as a replacement at those costs.  I imagine Maw Kaw will wait to see how this bike sells.  Seems very one dimensional to me and there has not been a lot of support on this forum for it.

Steve

Yea, I looked at this bike at the motorcycle show. It's got all kinds of cool features.  I don't see it as a replacement for the C-14 but I do wonder if Kawasaki will start to incorporate some of the technology into bikes like the C14.

If you browse around youtube for the actual road and track tests, two points start to be common for the H2-SX (and more so for the SE version).

1) The throttle is quirky, in that it seems to be on/off all the time, making setting up for corners and exiting them more difficult than it should be. Perhaps the next year model will address this.

2) Its almost as heavy as a ZX14R, and has the same difficulty turning in due to this mass. Several test riders said it felt more like a ZX14R than a Z1000.

Gypsy JR said:
If you browse around youtube for the actual road and track tests, two points start to be common for the H2-SX (and more so for the SE version).

1) The throttle is quirky, in that it seems to be on/off all the time, making setting up for corners and exiting them more difficult than it should be. Perhaps the next year model will address this.

2) Its almost as heavy as a ZX14R, and has the same difficulty turning in due to this mass. Several test riders said it felt more like a ZX14R than a Z1000.

Pretty much meant to replace the 14R, I think. Similar hp/tq, has luggage (many 14R owners put Givi luggage on), similar weights. As for the throttle, nothing new there. A damned ECU flash (or rejetting) has been needed to sort out many a Kawi...

Akumu said:
Gypsy JR said:

Pretty much meant to replace the 14R, I think. Similar hp/tq, has luggage (many 14R owners put Givi luggage on), similar weights. As for the throttle, nothing new there. A damned ECU flash (or rejetting) has been needed to sort out many a Kawi...

Hopefully it will be straightforward to develop a good flash for it. It has 3 power modes, but that's probably in the ECU too.

I had Givi side and top cases on my ZX14, and extended handlebars. Heated grips, ports for heated liners, pretty much turned it into a 200 mph sport touring bike. After I traded it in for a C14, I was sorry I didn't keep it. It had better balance and performance than the C14, and was every bit as comfortable to do distance with.

So I'd probably think a H2-SX SE was the cat's meow.

Regardless of what Kawasaki makes you're not going to make everyone happy. I've said it before and I'll say it again. There are SPORTTouring riders and there are sportTOURING riders. Me... I'm all in on the SPORTTRouring side of the fence and I'm very much looking forward to losing 120LBS and gaining 50HP. Not to mention cruise control and all the other electronic goodies this thing comes with. What's the downside? If anyone is looking to grab one Long Island Kawasaki has 4 SE's and 2 SX's coming in. The 1st SE in is mine :)

KevinRLI said:
Regardless of what Kawasaki makes you're not going to make everyone happy. I've said it before and I'll say it again. There are SPORTTouring riders and there are sportTOURING riders. Me... I'm all in on the SPORTTRouring side of the fence and I'm very much looking forward to losing 120LBS and gaining 50HP. Not to mention cruise control and all the other electronic goodies this thing comes with. What's the downside? If anyone is looking to grab one Long Island Kawasaki has 4 SE's and 2 SX's coming in. The 1st SE in is mine :)

Grats! You are going to have a lot of fun with that!

I hate waiting! My SX SE is off the ship in California and being trucked cross country to my dealer in NY. I should be picking it up the 1st week of April.

Gypsy JR said:
Akumu said:
Gypsy JR said:

Hopefully it will be straightforward to develop a good flash for it. It has 3 power modes, but that's probably in the ECU too.

I had Givi side and top cases on my ZX14, and extended handlebars. Heated grips, ports for heated liners, pretty much turned it into a 200 mph sport touring bike. After I traded it in for a C14, I was sorry I didn't keep it. It had better balance and performance than the C14, and was every bit as comfortable to do distance with.

So I'd probably think a H2-SX SE was the cat's meow.

I have both, the C14 and ZX14r.  I seen the H2 SX SE at the motorcycle show, Kawasaki did an awesome job on it including the new 900.  I think it will be a very nice bike, but I wouldn't get rid of anything I have now for one and my $20k in stock trim.  What is very interesting is the soon to be ability (shops are working on it if not already capable) to go from the 197rwhp to 240+ on pump gas.    Having that much power in a somewhat comfortable chassis would be a first.

As far as quirky throttle, this is ride by wire hence the cruise control was easy to implement.

At least that was the feedback from Kawa at the IMS when I looked at it.

Craig

Well I was wrong again. I picked up the SX SE today! What a bike! Yeah definitely more on the sport side than the touring side and I love it! Took it very easy riding a brand new bike on brand new tires and will get a lot more miles on it as the days go by. 1st impressions are out of sight!

KevinRLI said:
Well I was wrong again. I picked up the SX SE today! What a bike! Yeah definitely more on the sport side than the touring side and I love it! Took it very easy riding a brand new bike on brand new tires and will get a lot more miles on it as the days go by. 1st impressions are out of sight!

Cool...keep us informed.  I would put the C14 directly in the middle of the Sport / Touring equation.  Doing both very good but not the best in sport or touring, but a good compromise.  It looks like the SX SE is more sport oriented than touring.  The aftermarket will be designing and selling items  to make it more sport or more touring, which ever one wants I'm sure.  Nice bike.

What a beast! This thing has pull all day long. 4th gear roll on sucks your eye balls back in your head! This bike is 100% more sport or as it's advertised HyperSport-Touring orientated. I'm leaning over more in the saddle and I do miss my stock C14 wind shield. A larger windshield or one of those little add-on's for the top of the windshield would be fine. The quick shifter works flawlessly. Full power up shifts and take your hand off the throttle and you can downshift smooth as silk too. The past two days it's been rainy and wet. The bike has 3 power modes and 3 traction control modes. Comes in very handy to tone things down on days like this. This bike is not for everyone but if you're already reaching for more of the sport side than the C14 can give you then this is the bike.

just curious does the H2 SX have a spot for a rear rack, could a trunk be added? Have you ridden with a passenger and if so was there a comparison between it and the c14?

sc said:
just curious does the H2 SX have a spot for a rear rack, could a trunk be added? Have you ridden with a passenger and if so was there a comparison between it and the c14?

No spot for a rear rack and no stock rack at all. I'm hoping for aftermarket stuff soon... ish... But being brand spanking new I'm making due with the side bags. The rear does look very similar to my son's old Versys 650. I'm sure Givi will have something for a tail bag soon. 

No passenger yet and I'm not rushing it. I'm still getting used to a very different bike. When I'm 100% comfy in it I'll start risking the lives of my loved ones :)

ZG said:
Congrats man, so sweet!! Post up some pics!

:72: :popcorn: :TPIWWP:

Don't I know it!!! I got the bike Tuesday evening and it's rained one and off ever since... But here is what I have. I'm heading out on a 300 mile run tomorrow. Off to PA and back with some buddies. I'll get some better pics of it.

Attachments

• IMG_0976a.jpg
    IMG_0976a.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0974a.jpg
    IMG_0974a.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 209
ZG said:
Nice! Great plate too! :great: :great:

Do you find it hard to ride slow?

Nope. Not at all. Slow speed parking lot, U turns and general in town maneuvering was all very good and better than my C14. Last Saturday coming back from PA I was in heavy traffic and it was also well behaved.

Revzilla recently did a first ride report that was fairly comprehensive.  Someone mentioned a snatchy throttle but the three power modes address that o your liking according to the article. When you are in full tilt boogie mode there was mention of a more binary throttle response that took getting used to, but power level 2 smoothed that out.
From Revzilla: "The Kaw’s power is also electronically adjustable, with three levels. This isn’t your standard “rain mode gives you a completely numb throttle” setup. Instead, there are very fine gradients between the power settings and sensitivity levels, which was appreciated. Similarly, engine braking can be controlled, with either a normal or “light” setup. I found the most aggressive throttle to be just a leetle bit twitchy when adding maintenance throttle. I found that switching to light engine braking allowed me to stay on the gas for longer, which smoothed things out. Interestingly, at least one of my colleagues dialed the power setting back, left the standard engine braking, and was then happy with the throttle’s reduced snatchiness. Different ways to skin a cat, but the fact there were multiple ways to fine-tune power delivery was welcome."

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2018-kawasaki-h2-sx-se-first-ride-motorcycle-review

ajsfirehawk said:
Revzilla recently did a first ride report that was fairly comprehensive.  Someone mentioned a snatchy throttle but the three power modes address that o your liking according to the article. When you are in full tilt boogie mode there was mention of a more binary throttle response that took getting used to, but power level 2 smoothed that out.
From Revzilla: "The Kaw’s power is also electronically adjustable, with three levels. This isn’t your standard “rain mode gives you a completely numb throttle” setup. Instead, there are very fine gradients between the power settings and sensitivity levels, which was appreciated. Similarly, engine braking can be controlled, with either a normal or “light” setup. I found the most aggressive throttle to be just a leetle bit twitchy when adding maintenance throttle. I found that switching to light engine braking allowed me to stay on the gas for longer, which smoothed things out. Interestingly, at least one of my colleagues dialed the power setting back, left the standard engine braking, and was then happy with the throttle’s reduced snatchiness. Different ways to skin a cat, but the fact there were multiple ways to fine-tune power delivery was welcome."

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2018-kawasaki-h2-sx-se-first-ride-motorcycle-review

All new bikes are "snatchy" because it's basically an on off button to comply with the tougher E4 standards. Who wants to ride with only 75% power? Nah.... This is something Steve's flash takes care of on the C14's and it's something a good flash will take care of on this bike too.

I like the low powermode and traction control options when riding in the wet. When it's dry it's running on all cylinders :)

There are few motorcycles that make the C14 a gutless POS

The H2 SE/X is definitely, one of the few

It's power, F 1, is totally insane!

sc said:

You're not going to put a trunk on that beautiful bike are you ? That would just look goofy .

Just a heads up. The H2 uses a "different" oil filter part number.
And as of today they are on back order in the Midwest for 10-15 days :mad:

Quick update. I just rolled over 3000 miles. My stock rubber is done. Putting Angel GT's on it this week. Loving the bike. My 6.2 260Lb frame is fine on the bike. I'm comfortable for everything being stock. I have no desire to lower pegs or raise the bars. I will probably look into an after market seat when one becomes available. I do need to address wind protection before the winter riding season. I miss my KPASS! I also miss TPMS. For all the electronic wizardry this bike has something simple like TPMS was overlooked. Performance is unbelievable. Right now it's making 200HP at the crank and they say about 175 to the rear wheel. The few people working on a flash for this thing are getting between 210 and 220 to the rear wheel with just a new air filter and flash. I'm still getting used to all the power this is making now! If you want HYPER-SPORTTouring stop debating Shoodaben and Ivan. Neither will give your C14 what this will give you right out of the box.

KevinRLI said:
Quick update. I just rolled over 3000 miles. My stock rubber is done. Putting Angel GT's on it this week. Loving the bike. My 6.2 260Lb frame is fine on the bike. I'm comfortable for everything being stock. I have no desire to lower pegs or raise the bars. I will probably look into an after market seat when one becomes available. I do need to address wind protection before the winter riding season. I miss my KPASS! I also miss TPMS. For all the electronic wizardry this bike has something simple like TPMS was overlooked. Performance is unbelievable. Right now it's making 200HP at the crank and they say about 175 to the rear wheel. The few people working on a flash for this thing are getting between 210 and 220 to the rear wheel with just a new air filter and flash. I'm still getting used to all the power this is making now! If you want HYPER-SPORTTouring stop debating Shoodaben and Ivan. Neither will give your C14 what this will give you right out of the box.

FYI - There are aftermarket TPMS devices. Quite a few actually.

Hey, what's up Kevin? Glad to see you are out giving that bike a good whoopin. What do you miss about KPASS?

KevinRLI said:

Wow, congrats Kev on so much seat time already, that's awesome! If you plan to add a GPS, the Garmin TPS are pretty cool and bluetooth to the Zumo, I run them on my VFR with my Zumo 595, work great.

Enjoy that new beast, so jealous!  :great:

Kevin; I remember you telling me how important it was to watch the tire changing videos. How it made the whole process so easy. Now if only Jr. would agree........ Good luck with the GT's

If our readers only knew what your commute was like on the Island. Was on 495 yesterday. Spent 2 hours for a 30 minute ride. Keep rubber side down

Have a C14 and ZX14r.  The H2SX SE won't replace either in stock form for me right now, but I have seen the tuners are working with the H2SX motor and have found an additional 50hp with the stock exhaust retained, 171rwhp to 221rwhp.    That is what is interesting to me.

JDSCO said:
There are few motorcycles that make the C14 a gutless POS

The H2 SE/X is definitely, one of the few

It's power, F 1, is totally insane!

I was looking at YouTube video's on the bike and saw this.
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aLoZCWQyVI

In Europe, the compared the H2SX with a ZZR-1400.
  {I assume their ZZR-1400  is our ZX-14R}?

Anyway, they say the ZZR ran away from the H2SX as it is not the same power as a H2...

I'm not knocking Kevin's bike. Just posting info.
Kevin, I'm VERY jealous!

Ted

I did pick up an after market TPMS and it's installed with my brand new set of Angel GT's. Works great and as a bonus it also does tire temp.

What do I miss about KPAss… Considering the last 3 cars I've owned were keyless it's all about convenience. Why pump out a $22,000 technological marvel like the H2 SX and skip TPMS and Kpass?

There is still some kind left in me as my C-14 is well beyond what I kneed for power yet I still really  want one of these  :)