• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

50 vs 55

jrmotha

I ride a 2011 C14, this is my second C14.  I generally run Metezler tires on mine, however I have decided to try the Michelin road pilot 2.  A friend of mine was telling me to switch to the 190/55 size instead of the stock size 190/50 for the rear tire.  Its suppose to help you corner in better.  I'm not too sure has anyone tried it or know of anyone who has?

Several C14 folks have used the 55 and all comment on how better the bike handles in the twisties.
i have not read one negative about the 55.

Does the 55 center actually have more rubber, or is it just a change in the overall profile of the carcus that makes it taller?

It will be 5% taller in respect to the sidewall size. the 190 is the tire width. The 50 (profile) is a percentage of the width for the height of the sidewall. A 190 mm tire width, at 50 profile would be 95mm high. Where as a 55 profile tire would be 104.5mm high.

its just a profile change, but it will make the bike turn quicker, no doubt.  That is a normal change that trackday and racer have made in the last 2 years for 190 size rear tires.  it will also make the bike a little more stable at medium lean angles as it gives a larger contact patch thru the middle of the corner.

8)

MikeERideWNC said:
^-^ Just an FYi if anyone is interseted.

I have 190/55-17 -120/70-17 Michelin PR2 available in Western NC.
300.00 Mounted and computer balanced.

More info here: http://www.ridewnc.com/change.htm
How far from Deals Gap?
Where'd you get stock of PR2's? Any PR3's on this type of deal?  :)

I too, am going with 55's on the next tire swap.I was going to try PR3s.....but, changed my mind.....I have no reason to try another brand, Angels are fantastic!

popcorn.gif

Just be aware that changing the attitude on a motorcycle impacts many aspects of handling. Not only does it affect rake and trail (which impacts turn-in) but it also transfers weight from the rear to the front, which impacts suspension settings. It also will change the seat height which may make the bike harder to handle at low speeds and more tippy and prone to being dropped. It will also affect the speedometer and odometer, but in this case it may actually help get rid of some of the speedo error. Another point to consider is that it may reduce available suspension travel before the tire rubs on the rear fender. Its also possible that some of these changes could result in a high speed wobble, and there really is no way to know if it does without testing.

I'm not saying don't do it, but just go into this with your eyes wide open, since changing attitude has an impact on many aspects of the bike that you may not have considered.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
Just be aware that changing the attitude on a motorcycle impacts many aspects of handling. Not only does it affect rake and trail (which impacts turn-in) but it also transfers weight from the rear to the front, which impacts suspension settings. It also will change the seat height which may make the bike harder to handle at low speeds and more tippy and prone to being dropped. It will also affect the speedometer and odometer, but in this case it may actually help get rid of some of the speedo error. Another point to consider is that it may reduce available suspension travel before the tire rubs on the rear fender. Its also possible that some of these changes could result in a high speed wobble, and there really is no way to know if it does without testing.

I'm not saying don't do it, but just go into this with your eyes wide open, since changing attitude has an impact on many aspects of the bike that you may not have considered.
Will do,Fred!
Your advice and insight are truly appreciated! Thank You!

MikeERideWNC said:
The five MM taller equates to five MM of chicken strips.

Thanks for the review Mike!

So... doesn't that mean that the extra 5 mm isn't used??  :017:

The 55 makes the bike easier to get up onto the center stand, I do use a lot of rear ride height added, and my speedo is nearly spot on until the rear tire wears and the error progressively grows back according to Mr. Garmin.. I like the quicker turning of the 55, not everyone does. Some like the slower, more stable feeling turn in of the 50 aspect ratio 190.. Yep, easier to get to the edge of a 50 also, you have to corner harder on a 55 to shave the chickens off....