• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

90 degree valve stems ????

jsmick1

Moped
I'm getting ready to replace front tire, and am wanting to put 90 degree valve stems in. Motorcycle Superstore has what I think I would like, but it gives 2 choces....8mm & 10mm. Can anyone tell me which size is required. I've looked in my big book and also talked to local Kawasaki dealer, and they can't provide answer. So I'm turning to the "real" experts.

Thanks....John/Sourkraut

Not sure since I don't have stock rims but make sure they install them pointing out to the right. I didn't tell them which side so mine are pointing left and when on sidestand makes it a little harder to get to.

Thanks for replies. Here's another question concerning angled valve stems.

What do y'all think are the chances that a 45 degree valve stem, pointed to the right, could cause the serious scalping on the right side of my front tire???? I still have plenty of tread depth in center, but since I have a ride coming up, I have already bought a replacement for it.

Just wondering.

Thanks....John/Sourkraut

Whatever you do, DO NOT USE 90 DEGREE STEMS WITH RUBBER BASES THAT YOU PULL THROUGH THE RIM.  I had them and spent a morning at the Canaan Valley National replacing the rear one and was stranded on the side of the road on the way home when the front tore loose.  I have replaced both with straight stubbies that have the lock nut.  I had my rear 90 degree pointed left, so as not to have to deal with the brake rotor being in the way.  I don't see how a little valve stem would have any impact on uneven front tire wear, since it's weight is so minimal.

I use these from KurveyGirl.com.  I replaced them after a couple of tire changes because I saw some cracks starting in the rubber gasket.  But once I removed them, I found that those cracks were extremely shallow and apparently only cosmetic.  There was plenty of good, flexible rubber still sealing everything.  They've worked great for 50k miles or so, now.  Next time I'm thinking about replacing them with the anodized aluminum ones, but that's just for the nicer look.  The ones I have work great and make filling the tires MUCH easier. 

1197-ox106--.jpg

oxford_valve_access_tool_detail.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Oxford-Valve-Access-Tool/dp/B00GC299LQ

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/oxford-valve-access-tool

Bill Hookman said:
Whatever you do, DO NOT USE 90 DEGREE STEMS WITH RUBBER BASES THAT YOU PULL THROUGH THE RIM.  I had them and spent a morning at the Canaan Valley National replacing the rear one and was stranded on the side of the road on the way home when the front tore loose.  I have replaced both with straight stubbies that have the lock nut.  I had my rear 90 degree pointed left, so as not to have to deal with the brake rotor being in the way.  I don't see how a little valve stem would have any impact on uneven front tire wear, since it's weight is so minimal.

I'll second that! I've had a 90 degree valve stem on the back tire for 2 years. Yesterday it failed by leaking (splitting) on back side. Centrifugal force at high speeds pushed the valve toward the rim and the back side broke allowing a pretty fast loss of air. I had a short straight valve with a lock nut installed today.