• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

A Case For Canyon Cages

satxrider

Never have been a big fan of the way canyon cages look on the C-14, so did not bother installing them.  Flash back two Sundays ago, was out for a short evening ride down the interstate.  As I was exiting the freeway, to my unpleasant surprise, was a large slick spot of oil or hydraulic fluid (not sure which) at the top of the exit ramp.  I was slowing down (front brake only) and leaning slightly to the right when I hit the slick spot and went down immediately.  Probably going around 50mph.  I skid about 15 yards and sit up in time to see my bike finishing its slide about 50 yards further down the ramp.  Fortunately there was not a car exiting behind me to run me over.  I hop up and jog down to the bike and see engine oil leaking all over the ground.  So in addition to all the right side plastic being scratched, a concrete stone punctured a hole in the cam sprocket cover.

Insurance estimated the damage at about $3500, which included the CS1 Slipon.  It was a hot afternoon, so like an idiot I did not have my jacket on.  Result was a nice case of road rash on my lower and upper right arm.  So this just goes to show, even if you're out for what you consider a very low risk ride, bad luck and reach up and bite you in the ass.

With that said, I will be adding Canyon Cages to the bike.  I have seen MC Enterprises mentioned on the forum but are there any other cages that work on the C-14?  I will get the rear cage as well to protect the bags.

Steve

Attachments

• Crash 1.jpg
    Crash 1.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 274
  • road image 4.jpg
    road image 4.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 232
Sorry to hear about your incident two Sundays ago.  I had a similar experience about 35 years ago on a freeway cloverleaf with my KZ1000.  It was after dark, front tire missed the oil slick and back tire hit it while I was leaned over.  Bike was sliding away before I had any chance to react.  When I bought the 2016 C14, I put the Canyon Cages on as insurance against tip-over or slide damage like this.  If you get the CC, consider adding Rivco highway pegs to them - see this thread:
http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c14/new-hwy-peg-set-up-for-c14-2010-2016-with-canyon-cages/

Sorry to hear about your spill. Lots of crap on the roads to upset 2 wheels. Canyon cages are great insurance for tip overs. Non moving naps of the bike. Don't believe they would have prevented damage from the incident you describe Satxrider, lots of momentum in your slide. CCs  may have even done more damage if the engine got rocked good. Road rash takes some time to heal but glad you're ok otherwise.

That right there just sucks.  Imagine how many will have a problem when a little drizzle hits that same patch.  It looks to need a lot more kitty litter.  Where is it?

I'm really happy you were not injured more severely. Sorry to hear about the bike, however they are easier to replace than body parts.

Glad you are ok but there are other options out there outside of the bumper car look.....take a look at Top Block.  Also, keep in mind they are all only for tip over protection but only offer a small amount of protection from speed crashes.  Good luck with whatever you go with.

i-NxW4Bfv-M.jpg

Bob

This exit is located off Interstate 10 Eastbound at loop 1604 exit.  As I was standing there looking over the damage, a guy on a Honda pulled up after having almost gone down himself.  His only saving grace was he was only using the back brake.  Have all the damaged parts off and getting ready to start installing the replacement.  Getting to the mirror bracket requires quite a bit of tear down.

At this point, looking at getting the MC cages so I can add the foot pegs.  Will make long trips a little more enjoyable as you change the riding position when needed.

I shouldn't have to much trouble avoiding that intersection.

I opted for top blocks and Ronnie's pegs.  Not sure the comfort and protection is as good but it does look a bit better than the cages.

I have the Top Blocks but will send this endorsement for the Canyon Cages. A few years ago I was leading a group ride of 8 bikes at a COG event. One of the riders low sided at about 20 MPH on a left hand sharp down hill turn. The rider was ATGATT so he was fine. The Canyon Cages saved the left side of the bike, with minimal damage. The C-14 did a complete spin and stayed on the road.  Because of the force of the fall, the left mirror was broken. Some duct tape for the mirror at the next town, and we were off and finished the entire ride.  :motonoises:  I’m convinced that without the protection, we would have called a tow truck. I think he got a replacement free IIRC.

I tested the MC Enterprises Canyon Cages not too far from there last year. Going about 50mph in a light shower and well-worn front tire. Hydroplaned and slid about 100 feet. 100% my fault. The left side bar ripped out of the head casting and punctured the radiator and coolant bottle. A standard Heli-Coil won't fix the stripped out head threads, but there's a different thread replacement system that is similar, but far superior that my mechanic installed. I can't remember the name of it.

I then installed another set of MC Enterprises Canyon Cages. Like others have said, they're not for sliding down the pavement, but the tip-over protection is quite good.

I dropped mine two times. One to the left and one to the right. The Canyon Cages are magic some how. After the install almost two years ago have not dropped it. They work that way I guess.