• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

A Real Learning Experience

icecadavers

Training Wheels
My Connie is my first and only bike, but in addition she is also the bike I learned to ride on. I bought the bike in January this year, and the previous owner, a friend of mine, was showing me the ropes. I believe it was Wednesday, the 13th, and until this point I had not ridden a motorcycle. Let me digress for a moment to explain something about this bike. She's sort of what you'd call a fixer-upper - not in terrible condition, but certainly neither complete nor well-kept. I'll save the laundry list of things to fix for another time, because the relevant detail here is the left front peg. My friend had dropped the bike a while back and cracked the peg; it stayed on nonetheless so he decided to leave it until he could find a new one on ebay, but then he lost the peg when it finally fell away while doing 80 down the tollway. So, he had a makeshift peg essentially clamped to part of the bracket. It wasn't pretty or 100% solid, but it held well enough for most of a year. Back to my first ride. I'd spent enough time on bicycles and with manual transmissions to know some of what to expect, but as I mounted the bike I had yet to truly understand how top-heavy a Connie is. Clutch in, I shifted into first gear, then cautiously began easing off the clutch, creeping the throttle back, feeling for that friction zone and praying I didn't find it all at once. Success! I felt it catch just enough, steeled my nerves and let myself roll forward. I picked up just enough speed to stay upright and scooted across the parking lot. It was a narrow space; I was nearing the end and didn't want to try turning with such little breathing room so I had to stop. Braking with a motorcycle, by the way, is quite different from braking on a ten-speed that you can lift with one hand! I slowed too quickly, and I hadn't prepared to be suddenly leaning further and further left. I stuck my foot out but knew already it was too late to catch myself; I managed to jump away a split second before all 600+ pounds of Concours crashed down onto where my leg had just been. Having gotten the bike into gear (and avoided seriously inconvenient bodily injury) I considered the brief jaunt a win nonetheless. Yet as I got the bike back up, the clamp-peg did not follow suit... Further inspection revealed that the bracket itself had broken, and the clamp-peg, while still whole itself, had nothing to attach to. In the end I had no choice but to suck it up and pay the $150 to order a new peg and bracket from the stealership, and thus my second ride ever took place a whole two weeks after my first. Since then I have dropped my bike five more times. Drop #3 busted the right-side peg, and #4 took my brand new left-side peg out of commission. Those two incidents removed any remaining desire to spend that kind of money on something as fragile as footpegs ever again, and are solely responsible for the invention of what I call Foolpegs: Made of steel angle post (I think that's what it's called,) duct tape and coat hanger wire and mounted through the bottom bolt behind the bracket, they hold my weight without any trouble, and after drops #5 and #6 they bent upward - I merely needed to straddle the bike and stomp down firmly but none to forcefully a couple times to return them to their proper positions. I'm rather proud; they aren't too pretty but I've seen worse, and they will surely last at least long enough for me to fix everything else and put on some rollover bars as added insurance. Kellin Mavis COG #9068 Houston, TX '95 Concours "Nausicaa"

Kellin - Thanks for sharing and I applaud your perseverance. Because of its size, weight, and top heaviness, many familiar with the Concours would not consider it a beginner bike. I am going to share with you something that was shared with me many years ago... taking a MSF Beginner Ridercourse will teach you things in 15 hours that you may not learn in 15 years. You now have a feel for the basic mechanics of riding, but there are techniques that you will learn that can make your future riding experiences much more pleasant.

I agree. I have taken two MSF course and I always learn something extremely useful. If you had invested in a MSF course for approx 150 to 200 bucks I bet you wouldnt have needed to buy those new pegs and brackets. But if you dont take one of the courses I believe you will have more drops if not worse. So, please name me as one of your beneficiaries and leave whats left of the Connie to me. Thanks C K Roach Jr COG#9094 CDA# 0319 you cant lose what you never had 2005 Concour "Gold Rush" 1983 Suzuki GS750ES - Project 1983 Suzuki GL850 - Sold 1982 Suzuki GS650G - Sold

As a new Connie owner, a relatively new rider and an MSF graduate(3rd season) - I would say the Connie is way too much for most for a first bike. Please consider the course, it can save much more than the bike. 1983 Yahama XS650 Heritage Special (Sold)
1989 Honda VTR250 Interceptor
1982 Honda GL500 Silver Wing
1999 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000

The Concours is in my opinion, a little big and top heavy for a beginner bike. But it's doable. I agree that the beginner rider course is a very good idea. Your already started on the right track! Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 08 C14,03 Mean Streak, & 86 C10
2638311280103513287fDmUTZ_th.jpg

Kellin, CDA0325. All I can say is - Holly crap! Great advice from everyone replying to this thread. Greg H from Mass Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle" 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z

My first bike was a Honda VTX1300. 700 lbs plus. I dropped it in a parking lot in a similar fashion. I had already signed up for the MSF course but was too impatient to wait. But that was 6 years ago. I now have 3 bikes and over 70,000 miles on two wheels. So keep at it. It is one of the most rewarding experiences you can ever have.