• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Advice on dual motorcycle hitch carriers

funsize

Jorge and I just recently bought a class A motorhome.  We're looking into buying an enclosed trailer to put our motorcycles in when we're traveling.  I can drive fine with a trailer, as long as I'm going forward.  But ask me to back into a place with a trailer then I'm a dead duck.  Jorge has a C14 and I have a Vulcan S. 

With the size and weight of both our bikes, will a dual carrier be feasible and safe?  My concern would be that the hitch may not be strong enough to hold up both bikes.  I've checked online and I've seen several for dirt bikes.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Irene

The best way to back trailer is to practice with a smaller vehicle.
Remember IMO the shorter the trailer the quicker it reacts to the steering input
Also put your hand on bottom of steering wheel and move your hand the way you want the trailer to go. 

Class "A" I assume a 30 or 40 footer. That's going to be a real PIA to back.
Trailer great idea, I use one.
I would not even think about a bumper hitch carrier! Loading two bikes of
that weight and size, someone is going to get hurt.
I have seem some bike carriers for heavy weight cruisers on class "A"s.
They use hydraulics to raise and lower and cost in the range of $5000.

too much weight for the receiver. get a trailer and backup camera, btw a dual axle trailer is easier to backup as they don't jack knife as quickly. My buddy has a 38' class and tows a trailer backing up tends to take a copilot.

Go to a parking lot and practice, my wife can backup our 40' toy hauler only took her a few hours of seat time.

I know of no hitch carrier that could carry that much weight (almost 1500lbs). A trailer is your only real option.

Double axle traiers tend to be longer than single axle traiers. It isn't the extra axle that makes the trailer easier to back it is the length. The shorter the trailer the quicker it reacts making it more difficult to back.
I pull a 21,000 lbs equipment trailer with my one ton, it is specially set up for this much weight in the truck is license for 26,000. My receiver is a dual port top is 2 1/2" and the bottom standard 2" the rest of this receiver is massive and rated for 20,000 lbs. The hitch I use with this receiver is custom and uses both ports. The reason I am telling you about this is I believe this receiver would easily handle both bikes however you would probably have to have a custom carrier fabricated to do this as I doubt anyone makes one.

Thank you so much for your advice.  My biggest fear about a dual hitch carrier is that the bikes would go down if the hitch broke because of the weight.  I feel much more comfortable if we trailered the bikes.  I guess I'm going to have to learn how to back up a trailer soon.

You all are the best.

Irene

It will be a skill that won't leave you and you will probably amaze a few guys in your travels as they watch watch you get out of of a perfectly parked 45-50' of vehicle!

funsize said:
Thank you so much for your advice.  My biggest fear about a dual hitch carrier is that the bikes would go down if the hitch broke because of the weight.  I feel much more comfortable if we trailered the bikes.  I guess I'm going to have to learn how to back up a trailer soon.

You all are the best.

Irene

There's a learning curve for everyone and if you don't trailer often, you get rusty. Don't sweat it. I've been towing for my whole adult like for thousands of miles and all kinds of trailers, but when I start out in the spring with the toy hauler, I'm all over the place for a few times.  Practice in a big parking lot. You could have Jorge on the ground as a spotter and use your helmet communicators for walkie talkies. But we need video....    :nananana:

Irene, not a problem. You drive it when it's going forwards.
    Make Jorge back it up.
No more problem for you, and "we" get to laugh at Jorge.........

Win, WIN!!!

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks all.
There is carrier, made for Harley Trikes and Golf Carts, that it rated for 1,200 Lbs.  I've also thought about designing my own... :-X
I think both our bikes combined are just under 1,200, and with the C14 closer to the RV, the cantilevered weight would be be less than for a trike or golf cart. The carrier needs two hitch receivers, each mounted on one of the RV's frame members.
I think we're leaning towards a trailer, more for peach of mind, although not finalized yet.
I still like the idea of a not having a trailer behind us...

The swivel-wheel might work, if they do a 2 bike set up..
  The wheel would support some of the weight...
If no; it might give you an idea on how to build your own?

Hanging 1200 lbs behind your motorhome {without the wheel) seems like it would be too much weight that far behind the axle...

Ride safe, Ted

You could sell your current motorhome for a toy hauler version with a large lift gate for safe loading of the two bikes.

I didn't know they made motorhomes with a toy hauler set up..?
I like that idea...  :great:

"Jorge",,  do that. {I know you have plenty of money ($$)}
After all, you've had your current Motorhome at least 3 weeks!!

Ride safe, Ted

Nah, they don't need extra room for me to go along with them.
I wanna borrow it after Jorge picks it up.. <grin>  >:D

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Irene, not a problem. You drive it when it's going forwards.
    Make Jorge back it up.
No more problem for you, and "we" get to laugh at Jorge.........

Win, WIN!!!

Ride safe, Ted

I like the way you think Ted.  :)) :))

I really use my Thor for all things motorcycle

Attachments

• IMG_1110.JPG
    IMG_1110.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1124.JPG
    IMG_1124.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1111.JPG
    IMG_1111.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 114
Grant said:
Double axle traiers tend to be longer than single axle traiers. It isn't the extra axle that makes the trailer easier to back it is the length. The shorter the trailer the quicker it reacts making it more difficult to back.
I pull a 21,000 lbs equipment trailer with my one ton, it is specially set up for this much weight in the truck is license for 26,000. My receiver is a dual port top is 2 1/2" and the bottom standard 2" the rest of this receiver is massive and rated for 20,000 lbs. The hitch I use with this receiver is custom and uses both ports. The reason I am telling you about this is I believe this receiver would easily handle both bikes however you would probably have to have a custom carrier fabricated to do this as I doubt anyone makes one.

Not entirely true, a single axle trailer has less resistance and will jackknife quicker than dual axle of the same length.  BTW, I do have experience with both trailers in similar lengths and I currently tow a 42' 5th wheel weighing in at 20k depending on whats in it.

There are setups that can be installed for a bike or 2 to go on a class A.
https://www.mightyhauler.com/

Wow Ted, that's pretty cool!  The price is pretty cool also.... :-\

Scott, that's the system I saw, that can hold up (weight-wise) both the C14 and the Vulcan S. Only thing is... is it wide enough to fit them.

I think our coach's frame is strong enough for it, but I need to take a closer look to see if it's feasable.

Jorge said:
Wow Ted, that's pretty cool!  The price is pretty cool also.... :-\

Scott, that's the system I saw, that can hold up (weight-wise) both the C14 and the Vulcan S. Only thing is... is it wide enough to fit them.

I think our coach's frame is strong enough for it, but I need to take a closer look to see if it's feasable.

Hey Jorge or Fun size, no pics??

Jorge...my father had that on his old class A back when he had a Valk, they had some mileage on it and no issues being a heavy bike it was still only one. I didn't like the setup for the fact that you had your bike bouncing around on the back unseen, they would flat tow a jeep in addition to the bike on the carrier.

FYI...they sold it and bought a 5th wheel toy hauler.

OK... just to update. Decision is made, we bought a 7x12 cargo trailer yesterday.
White, of course, to match the Beast.

Attachments

• IMG_20180311_065558 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20180311_065558 - Copy.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 122
Great looking rig. Now to get some oversized Kawasaki and COG decals with some blue stripes for the trailer and you'll be tripping!  Can't wait to check it out. 

Exactly my thinking Ron...
If I can only figure out the colors for the coach  :017:

Jorge and Irene, that is one large rally support vehicle.

My Roadtrek would barely be a dinghy behind it.

Travel on!

Oh, and happy Easter.

Jorge said:
Exactly my thinking Ron...
If I can only figure out the colors for the coach  :017:

Google (may be) your friend. SOMEWHERE, maybe Facebook, I recently saw a note about a company that reproduces RV graphics for rigs which have body damage or have faded. For that matter, if you go to a large RV dealer who does bodywork, they probably have a source. If a place like that can be located, or if there is an owner's group for your rig, you might find the original color scheme codes. If I see it again, I'll let you know. Then again, sun fading might make it difficult to totally match.

For instance:  http://graphicsrv.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=9

The Beast was repainted two owners ago  :??:
They didn't do a bad job, but they didn't do a great job either. I suspect it was done with spray paint cans. The design is not bad, but the finish isn't very good. I may re-do it in time. I've painted a couple of cars many years ago, and might try again.
I may try to get pain swatches from a couple of places to see if I can come close to it.

Steve, it's a little larger than your adventure-mobile, but remember, Irene wants to make sure there is space between us :truce:

Jorge said:
Steve, it's a little larger than your adventure-mobile, but remember, Irene wants to make sure there is space between us :truce:

That should do it. Plenty of room for her to bring quilting stuff with.

Do you have a solar system?

Do you plan on boondocking?

I don't think youll regret the trailer, always nice to have extra room when out with the RV and now the Bike has a garage for the road.

Jorge, "you" don't have to paint it to get it to shine.
  That would be way to much work for "you".

Funsize isn't doing anything, and she's the one that talked you into buying it...
      Tell her to quit goofing off, go outside, and give it a good wax job.    :104:

Glad I could help..........  >:D
Ride safe, Ted

{And that's how the fight started}.......  :sign0137:

connie_rider said:
Jorge, "you" don't have to paint it to get it to shine.
  That would be way to much work for "you".

Funsize isn't doing anything, and she's the one that talked you into buying it...
      Tell her to quit goofing off, go outside, and give it a good wax job.    :104:

Glad I could help..........  >:D
Ride safe, Ted

{And that's how the fight started}.......  :sign0137:

Great idea. That would only take $18,000 worth of Plexus!

Nahh,,,, I was thinking more along the lines of a can {maybe a couple of cans} of turtle wax and some elbow grease.
    Wax on, Wax off,    Wax on, Wax off,    Wax on, Wax off,    Wax on, Wax off,    Wax on, Wax off,    Wax on, Wax off, etc, etc, etc,,,,,,,,

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Jorge, if you need a place to hide from "Funsize" after suggesting the wax project,,, let me know.
      (I promise "not" to tell her that you {double dog "dared" me} to post my original note)..  :-\

Ah Ted... you forget... she reads the forum quite frequently, and this was her thread - I think I'm in the clear on this one. I'll ask her if she's read her thread lately :engel016:
I think Judy and Irene will take turns... one holds, the other beats, then switch for more fun.

Aww, c'mon Jorge. You ain't getting me in trouble when it wuz your idea...
    You know that "you told me" to send that note.
          I wouldn't lie!!  :engel016:

PS:  Judy "often" help's me wax, and polish the Brass on our Model T Ford.
        After you had me send the note, I {naturally} assumed Irene would do the same...  >:D
          Like I sed;  I wouldn't lie!!  :engel016:

Wax on, Wax off,    Brasso on, Brasso off,    Wax on, Wax off,    Brasso on, Brasso off,    Wax on, Wax off,    Brasso on, Brasso off, etc, etc, etc,,,,,,,,

Ride safe, Ted

To update everyone on this thread, Jorge and I bought a 7 x 12 enclosed trailer.  It already has two wheel chucks for the bikes.  Thank you so much for your help.