• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Air Filter

UP

Bicycle
Any hot tips about accessing the air filter for service? I want to go with a K&N but there sure is a lot of tubber wear to remove. On another note, I have right 7,000 miles on the bike and should replace the plugs but is that really necessary right now? Bike runs plenty strong... UP

I monitor my gas milage. If it starts dipping sparks are one of first things to check. C K Roach Jr COG#9094 CDA# 0319 you cant lose what you never had 2005 Concour "Gold Rush" 1983 Suzuki GS750ES - Project 1983 Suzuki GL850 - Sold 1982 Suzuki GS650G - Sold

You can access the air filter by just removing the top left(clutch) fairing cover panel and upper fairing section. You probably have to loosen the relay bracket as well to give you access to the filter. The filter is behind a silver plate bolted in the frame near the forks. It is probably easier to do it if you remove the middle fairing section as well. But I don't think it's nessasary. Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 08 C14,03 Mean Streak, & 86 C10
2638311280103513287fDmUTZ_th.jpg

I would recommend you stick with the OEM paper element and not put a K&N in this bike. The oil from them can and will come off and go into the throttle body and can cause problems. Besides that, paper elements will filter better than oiled cotton will.

I'll second Freds words, I feel the stock filter is also the way to go, but with the milage you have I'd leave the original one a while longer./ I checked mine at the normal intervals, and it looked good, didn't change it out till I hit 20k, but I don't have a lot of dusty roads here. You WILL notice a major milage difference when it gets didrty, and this will be seen when you put a new one in. I was kinda surprised at how small that filter was comparative to the old C10....