• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Another bag-pinning post... Is my bike missing something?

johnhopkins1649

Ok, my first long ride on my 08 C14 in the books yesterday. I hit a hard dip, and the only pannier I had stuff in went flying. When I lift on the back, it is pretty easy to see how it came off. I started researching options and found the bag-pinning threads but no real instructions. I'm sure they are out there. I did find this post: https://forum.concours.org/index.php?threads/bag-pinning-re-dux.4341/ and the pics there are NOT like what I'm looking at on my bike.

My bags have that double, finned flange thing on the back of each pannier but not where it touches the rubber bit on the front bottom. See pics.

I know my bike was crashed by a PO, so I know there are likely some things not 100% right. Can anyone tell from the pics what I might have going on?

PXL_20230627_013606522.jpgPXL_20230627_013617237.jpgPXL_20230627_013648585.jpg

From your pictures, you have your bags mounted backwards.

Flip them around and you will see how to pin them.
OH MY GOD! The fact that it is even possible and apparently easy to do is hilarious. That makes perfect sense. It was sold to me like that, and I would have never thought they could go on backward so I never even considered it. That is probably why they were so scuffed up when I got it.

I have read a bunch of bag threads, but never heard of anyone putting them on backwards. I didn't know you could get them on that way. What a hoot! Glad they survived!

Approaching 60K miles, never pinned a bag, lots of fully loaded (the bags that is) riding, lots of rough roads - bags have not once dislodged ever.

There is some looseness starting to creep in however I believe the bags jumping off is a case (possibly not all cases) of bags not being properly or fully seated/ mounted.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Ok, my first long ride on my 08 C14 in the books yesterday. I hit a hard dip, and the only pannier I had stuff in went flying. When I lift on the back, it is pretty easy to see how it came off. I started researching options and found the bag-pinning threads but no real instructions. I'm sure they are out there. I did find this post: https://forum.concours.org/index.php?threads/bag-pinning-re-dux.4341/ and the pics there are NOT like what I'm looking at on my bike.

My bags have that double, finned flange thing on the back of each pannier but not where it touches the rubber bit on the front bottom. See pics.

I know my bike was crashed by a PO, so I know there are likely some things not 100% right. Can anyone tell from the pics what I might have going on?

View attachment 36288View attachment 36289View attachment 36290
Like others have said, it appears you bags are mounted backwards. Don't know how you would know if you got it that way. Hopefully mounting them correctly makes it easier to pin them.

Also, hope you retrieved the bag, or can find a replacement easily.

Like others have said, it appears you bags are mounted backwards. Don't know how you would know if you got it that way. Hopefully mounting them correctly makes it easier to pin them.

Also, hope you retrieved the bag, or can find a replacement easily.
Yeah, the bag was just laying in the street. It was a nice mountain road so not moving too fast. The car behind me stopped and waited for me to retrieve it. That was nice. It was scuffed pretty good but it was already scuffed a bit

Yeah, the bag was just laying in the street. It was a nice mountain road so not moving too fast. The car behind me stopped and waited for me to retrieve it. That was nice. It was scuffed pretty good but it was already scuffed a bit
No doubt the previous owner had the same thing happen to them...be sad if that was one of the reasons they sold it.

I finally did that with "line x" I believe. Unintentionally, I used a really light coat and found the gloss of underlying paint shines through with light at the right angle and the "Line X" works as advertised.