• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Anybody else want a Niken?

mtnrider

I've been watching YouTube videos of the Niken and I want one!      :great: :motonoises:  The enginerd in me says go, go, go!    :D      Yamaha says it has 80% better front end traction. Reviewers all say how great the front end grips. And I do love unique things (mostly).  It just looks like a cool vehicle to me.

Unfortunately, if I brought a second bike home I would have to sell it immediately to pay for the divorce lawyer....    ::) :truce:  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:      And I certainly won't trade the C14 in on one.

Oh well, it's good to dream.    ; :great: :beerchug:

Any one else lusting over one?

Leo

I've seen videos of the bike, not in person yet. It does spike the imagination. A test ride would be in order. I can see the pros. The cons: Three tires to replace, weight, complexity, and maybe a short production run. Still, if it has a motor and wheels, I'm in.

I'd love to ride one.  I'm not sure about the owning part.  +1 on what Buzzard said. :motonoises:

For the most part I'm not hot on anything with 3 wheels.  I can see the point of a Can-Am or even a traditional tricycle to try for an economical skid-tolerant vehicle but 3 wheel presents 3 times the frontal area of 2 wheels (unless you're on a Seque - Segg-way - whatever) and 4 wheels is only twice as much as a bike.  Makes no sense to me to go nuts trying to lean a 3-wheeler.

Maybe when I can't manage a regular motorcycle I would consider one. It would be way better than the other forms of tricycle I see out there.

The Yamaha marketing folks have done their job well with you. 

Every time my mother would say she just had to buy XYZ, I'd have to explain that (a) she didn't really have any use for it, and (b) the sole function of the marketing department is to have you spend your money buying something that you didn't need till you saw their advertisement.

Chris

:D :D :D :D

And I thought i was an old curmudgeon.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I really appreciate the engineering and thinking outside the box by Yamaha. I can't get one but I do want to ride one to see if the reviews are accurate. Most have been very positive. It's not like the trikes that can't fall over and does require the ability to ride a motorcycle. It won't stand on the three wheels, it requires a kickstand, check out the You Tube reviews.

Give it a real look and you might find you can appreciate the uniqueness....

It won't stand on the three wheels, it requires a kickstand

I noticed that too, and wondered if that removes it as an option for the traditional 3 wheel market for folks with diminished strength, or missing a limb?

Stasch said:
It won't stand on the three wheels, it requires a kickstand

I noticed that too, and wondered if that removes it as an option for the traditional 3 wheel market for folks with diminished strength, or missing a limb?

It does. Most of the reviewers comment that it rides like 2 wheel motorcycles, just more front grip.

Would you want one if you could knit it together yourself -- and for the cost of a ball of yarn (whatever that might be)???

https://global.yamaha-motor.com/showroom/handicraft/amigurumi/niken/recipe/

(It just keeps getting weirder.)

"Dude, did you knit that Niken yourself? SOOO COOOOOLLLLLL!"    -- said no one ever.    :rotflmao:

Looks to me like an exercise in engineering to see if they can build it and sell it. It also looks like a nightmare when it comes to service and maintainence. I have no desire to ride or own one much less work on one. As stated above, we aren't ready for this weirdness/progress and I think it may be a very short production run with them becoming a cult bike in about 10 years.

Saw it at the MC show today. All I can say is...huh? I don't get it. They had one with the front fairing off. It looked like a mess. There is so much going on there, I was surprised. And each wheel has two shocks. I got some explanation about stability. This bike weighs a thousand pounds!! Most of it in front of the rider. I don't think so.

Good to see you posting again Matt! And my opinion about the Nikken is that just because you can build it does not mean it should be

You guys are all a bunch of old fuddy duddies!    :nananana: :rotflmao:

It's new! It's different! Embrace the experimental!    :D :beerchug: :D

I should have titled this "Anybody else want to TEST RIDE a Niken?"

I'm certainly not trading the C14 for a Niken but I really do want to ride one to see what's about.  :motonoises: :motonoises:

And yeah, I do like the unusual a lot of the time. YMMV

Ride on!

would i test ride one? yes. just like i did the spyders when they came out. would i consider buying one? oh hell no. same with bmws, and harleys. I'll try anything with hopes they will change my mind. Ive ridden a bunch of stuff, rarely is it impressive enough to change direction from whats already proven.