• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Anyone Have a Honda CTX700?

oldsmoboat

I need am honest assessment.  Compared to a C10, in manual mode, is it much slower off the line or when trying to pass without down shifting?
Just trying to get a feel for it's power.

Had a NC700X, same motor, frame and tires. Different seating position. The CTX can't compare with the 4 cylinder. It has great torque for a parallel twin but hits the rev limiter at 6500 RPMs. I like the whole 700 series that Honda puts out but they are not speed demons. One example; I was chasing a 650 Wee Strom up a 6% grade and was losing ground slowly but surely. The 650 Versys also will out run the 700 series.

The 650 Versys has a 33" seat height.  I don't want to lower another bike.  Don't really want a cruiser either though.  Or a chain...

There is the CTX 1300 It has 4 cylinders, shaft drive and lower seat height. The engine that powered the ST1300 has been placed in this bike. There was a lot of excitement about the bike before it came out. Then the excitement (and desire) dropped. You can still find brand new 2014 models at a greatly reduced price. I think the main gripe was that it didn't fit any category. Heavy enough to be a bagger but almost useless bags. Not enough features for sport touring. I think there were gripes about the paint and finish. Could be wrong but Honda's website says they are selling 2014 models; the same year the bike debuted.

I have only driven my 2014 CTX700 about 150 or so miles, just bought it in March.  I sold my wonderful C10 and bought this used CTX with only 1700 miles on it at half the price of a new one.  It definitely does not have the performance of the c10 and I'm sure a 650 Versey,  650 Suzuki will out run it BUT...BUT....I'm done with long distance saddle bags full, tent and sleeping bag behind me riding-things the Concours of any year can easily do.  The CTX is 200 lbs lighter, low center gravity-my self I wish it was higher as I'm 6 ft tall. Easy relaxing to ride (I have the manual-but the Automatic would be neat) smooth engine, forget to downshift, well then just start out in 2nd or 3rd, it don't care. I notice that I do sit a bit more on my tail bone then other bikes I have owned and it is still weird putting your feet out in front of you.  Compared to 4 wheelers it will get up to 70 or so plenty fast.  That red line is so low you pretty much need to shift out of first after only a brief moment. About 30, 50,70 first 3 gears shift points.  the chain is yuk, seems to me like this would have been a good model for a belt but I will live with it.

So, it's a mid size bike, easy to ride, no way close to a Connies performance but I am not afraid to do a u-turn in the middle of the street with it, I was never much of "Sport" rider anyway, it fits me at this point in my life just fine, but may not fit you.    The CTX in some ways reminds me of the 550 Yamaha Vision I rode for many years, high tech motor, but just so so suspension (CTX offers no suspension adjustability) 

But take my report with a grain of salt, I have not ridden it much yet!

Thanks for the info.  I too am done with touring.  I do want some pep in the motor as acceleration has helped more than once.

By the way, one of the things I looked for in choosing this bike with this motor, you can still adjust the valves with this engine just as I adjusted them several times with my C10.  Yeah, lots of plastic to take off first, I guess you also pull the radiator out of the way, But I don't think it will be any more work then it was on the C10.  So other than tires, I suppose eventually a chain change (and it's continued associated mess), the valve adjustment, should be a pretty care free bike.

Some of the same reasons I choose my C10, the ability to do it yourself.  All a compromise.

I searched for a Honda NT700V Found it and brought it home. 2 cylinder, 698 cc, integrated side cases, shaft drive about 550 lbs. Supposedly 75 HP, certainly enough zip to move 2 people about. More vibrations than a C-14 but nothing like a Milwaukee paint shaker. Bike is more comfortable than a Connie in some ways, has big analog gauges and weather protection. Is great for running around town or several hundred miles.

I've been riding my CTX 700 for 4 years. It's a comfortable bike but it's not fast. It has a rev limiter so downshifting becomes second nature. I feel the bike is under powered but I haven't found another bike I like.

It does get awesome gas mileage and handles well.

Oldsmoboat, I 've also lost interest in the Touring, and my wife won't go if I opt to ride to an event....
    But I love the twisties, and I love the power of my Concours!!

I know that many in this club will think I went to the dark side, but our solution was a trailer...
Yea, I sed it;  I/we now trailer to an event, enjoy the ride while we're there, then trailer home.
Yes, I know I'm a sinner, but it solved our problem.....

NOTE: Like you, I'm sorta looking for a smaller bike {for around the house and lighter weight for the twisties}..
          The 650 Versys is a bit tall for me so I'm considering the 650 Ninja. {Same engine}

Ride safe, Ted

PS: One advantage of trailering that many may not have thought of; 2 bikes can be hauled on a trailer....  <sneaky grin>

Update, now have about 700 miles on the CTX, added first upgrade, a wind driven automatic chain oiler.  With the tall Honda windshield, the air hits you somewhat the same as a stock Connie C10 shield so you get that wind noise around your helmet, I had a Laminar lip on my C10 to solve this not sure it bother's me enough to mess with the system on the CTX.  You get more wind on your arms on the CTX than I did on the C10 and your arms are more straight forward so depending on the gloves you have, air will go straight up your sleeves.  I'll make u-turns in the street with the CTX that I would not have dared to do with the C10.  Miss running to those good old 10,000 plus rpm shift points in the lower gears my other bikes have had but really, it has sufficient power AND very pleased to report it runs 75-80 on the interstate and still has power left to burn. Yeah, although the chain oiler is very good as to the rate of oil it puts on the chain, you still have oil fling to clean off the rear rim especially after a long high speed run.  Have been keeping track of my MPG now for the last 600 plus miles, so far it comes to 67 mpg, the 3 gallon or so gas tank is not really much of a problem.  Good tires on it and the are both 17 inches so the latest and best can still be obtained for it. Should say still getting used to that forward leg position. Only downfall is you can't really protect yourself from sharp bumps as you can't "stand" yourself up. For me bike handles curves as well as I could ride the C10 through them, but I am not much of a sport rider.

Well, my down grade is very satisfying to me and my riding style.....but I will admit the CTX isn't half the bike the C10 was.       

Nice review, glad the machine is exceeding expectations in some respect. I put a top case on my Honda (different model) and the MPG went from 65 to 59. I ride with a pillion and the MPG is 57. Hope you get many more miles with smiles!