• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

At the risk of beratement

wineguy4u

Training Wheels
gentleman,

I've asked enough questions on here that you all must know by now that I definitely do my due diligence prior to purchasing anything. Especially a vehicle of any kind.

So,......... having said that, I began a search on the good ol' world wide web for ANY motorcycle that fit within my price range and started the process again of researching bikes. I haven't given up on the Concours, but I want to ask some more questions.

Has anyone of you ever owned a Honda Pacific Coast? If so, can you tell me what your experience was like? What made you trade/sell the bike and acquire the Concours?

thank you all,

dave

Dave, I have never owned a PC800 but I had a customer back in the late 90s that had one and loved it.....apparently if you could get past the looks (i.e. car-ish rear end), it was a rather capable motorcycle...

just my $0.02, IMHO, all other disclaimers apply......

I have a good friend that owned one and loved it.  They also have a high resale value.  I like the futuristic styling.  If you travel a lot remember this is a smaller displacement twin without the power of the connie.

The PC800 has a very avid following, much like the Connie.  Last built in the late 90s, 1998 I believe, and bridged the gap to the eventual release of the ST1100.  It was my first bike of choice ahead of the Connie ( I have a '99 C10) but I couldn't find one when I was ready to buy.  I would still buy one.

FULLY encased in what PC800 owners also refer to as tupperware.  The standard rear trunk will hold two helmets.  Bulletproof Honda reliability.

Check the websites, there is plenty of information out there.    http://www.directcon.net/lcshepp/PC800LinkList.html

Sirius

For a time I seriously considered a PC800 before settling on the Concours. I even found one for sale just a few blocks from my house.

As I was doing online research on it, I saw it had a very good reliability record. The biggest complaint was the amount of uncladding necessary to do even the simplest maintenance or repair work.

Then I read 2 reviews of the bike. One referred to it as "the bastard child of a motorcycle and a scooter". Another called it "the station wagon of motorcycles". I'm a little embarrassed to say I was swayed by this, but I instantly lost interest in the model.

Gotta take those comments in context, what kind of riders are they? And what kind of a ride are you looking for? If your riding style is the same as those reviewers, the comments might be relevant. I am guessing they would pan just about anything but a true sportbike.

To most of us, though, everything is relative. Compared to a Goldwing a PC800 might be rather sporting. Compared to a cruiser or a sportbike, it might be a long distance tourer. I never owned one, never even rode one so I don't know, TBH. Personally I think it looks too scooterish for my tastes, but of course that's personal and subjective and I won't dis anyone for liking the looks.

Vanilla.  But remember Vanilla sells better than all other flavors of ice cream for a reason.  ;)

fellas,

it would have been so easy for a group of Concours enthusiasts to just be mean in response to my question. it is a testimonial of how kind you all are that you offered real insight.

No matter what bike I end up buying, I am so glad I joined this group.

you all rock,

dave

WillyP said:
Gotta take those comments in context, what kind of riders are they? And what kind of a ride are you looking for? If your riding style is the same as those reviewers, the comments might be relevant. I am guessing they would pan just about anything but a true sportbike.

To most of us, though, everything is relative. Compared to a Goldwing a PC800 might be rather sporting. Compared to a cruiser or a sportbike, it might be a long distance tourer. I never owned one, never even rode one so I don't know, TBH. Personally I think it looks too scooterish for my tastes, but of course that's personal and subjective and I won't dis anyone for liking the looks.

Point taken.

I think the 'station wagon' comment is what turned me off most. All through HS I drove my parents' 2 Pontiac Catalina Grand Safari land yachts. I swore I'd never own a station wagon. When I bought my first car, it was an SUV. I proudly showed it to my dad and the first thing he said was, "It's a station wagon on big wheels".  :'(

I am reminded of a story by a PC800 owner that I came across while doing research on the bike.  The owner arrived at a local all motorcycle rally and barbecue on his PC800 to the snickering and finger pointing of a large cruiser and crotch rocket crowd.  He then proceeded to unload a very large quantity of cold beverages and groceries from it's bagillion litre storage capacity.  He instantly was awarded with a lot of thumbs up, back slapping, and gee I wish I could do that comments!!  Instant respect.

To each his own!  I would still buy one.

Sirius

Personally, I've always liked the PC. Yes it is kind of little goldwing, big scooterish looking. But it's in between size, makes it appealing to me. It may not be the most powerful or most nimble bike. But it's not meant to be. It's a mid size do it all kind of bike. (similar to a sport tour, but not quite the same) I love the storage space the bike has/had. It may not be a sporting as some bikes. But I cannot think of a better do everything bike than that.  ;)

The NT700 is a bit like a modern version of the PC800, though less scooter-like and too pricey to draw a big following.  $12k is way too much to ask for that bike.  I don't know what they were smokin' at that meeting.  Probably the same meeting where they green lighted the DN-01...which actually stood for Do Not Own 1.

I always liked the PC800 and if I hadn't lived in Mexico City at the time would have bought one.  I never understood the anti-bias that seemed to exist around the PC. 

We Americans weren't ready at that time for a bike like that with bodywork that covered the motor. As with many things, we don't know what we had till it was gone and all the folks who bought one aren't ever going to sell them.

You should have heard what my sport bike buddies told me when the found out I was getting a C-10.  The all assumed when I said "Concours" that it would be the new at the time C-14....  I heard many of the same comments at the time "station wagon" comes to mind....  ;D

MizzouMike said:
You should have heard what my sport bike buddies told me when the found out I was getting a C-10.  The all assumed when I said "Concours" that it would be the new at the time C-14....  I heard many of the same comments at the time "station wagon" comes to mind....  ;D

Heathens, all of them.

You'll have the last laugh when you go on a ride somewhere and they start asking if they can put things in your saddlebags - HA!

Interesting thread...I went out for a short ride just before dusk last night and found myself coming up on a bike that I didn't recognize at first...followed him for a while and kept trying to place the twin taillights...but, it sorta looked like a scooter...we came to a stop sign and I realized it was a PC...reminded me of the trade-in we had at the shop fifteen years ago...my wife and I took it for a 300 mile ride one day...and now I know why everybody who has never ridden one makes fun of the looks...but, not very many who own one are willing to sell...it's really a nice bike!

Good luck with your search...

CRocker said:
Interesting thread...I went out for a short ride just before dusk last night and found myself coming up on a bike that I didn't recognize at first...followed him for a while and kept trying to place the twin taillights...but, it sorta looked like a scooter...we came to a stop sign and I realized it was a PC...reminded me of the trade-in we had at the shop fifteen years ago...my wife and I took it for a 300 mile ride one day...and now I know why everybody who has never ridden one makes fun of the looks...but, not very many who own one are willing to sell...it's really a nice bike!

Good luck with your search...

Funny you brought the PC800 up, CRocker...years ago I had a customer who had one and decided to sell it. A guy showed up with a pocket full of cash and paid him $500 over asking price on the spot. My customer then asked him why he was so eager to have the bike......turns out there was apparently a HUGE market for them in Europe since larger bikes are more heavily taxed in some countries. The buyer figured he'd turn at least a 50% profit by re-selling it there.

Rarely ever see a PC around here.  Years ago a guy had one and would pass me on the way to Moody AFB, where I was stationed.  At first I thought it was an electric bike.  Quietest bike I've ever barely heard.  Just a whoosh sound as he went by. :motonoises:

They had a used PC for sale in the local Honda dealer a short while ago. I found myself sitting on it again. I still like that bike.  :)

Another smaller bike that might should be considered is the Versys. It's a 650 parallel twin that shares the motor with the ninja 650R. It also is a bike that doesn't really fit a category but fills several categories fairly well. I picked up a very low (6k) millage 09 for my wife that came with the factory bags (givi) for $4k. It is a blast to ride and much more nimble that my C10. The motor is detuned from the ninja to give it less performance but an unbelievably wide power band. However, it's still a blast to ride. I've farkled it up a bit with barkbusters storms, kaoko throttle lock, power outlet, heated grips, a power block, air horn, LED light kit for the bags, better wind screen, crash bars, tank bag and a rear rack to hold a givi box. I'd take that bike anywhere but I consider it to be a strictly solo bike if loaded down. It has more farkles than my bike but it allows her to go with me on trips. Gas mileage is great, at least with her riding it. On a trip with her I don't think I'd do my normal 80 to 85 because at that speed I think the mileage would suffer a good bit. I has enough fairing to give fair weather protection, especially with the barkbuster storms. I find it to be a very comfortable ride although you can feel the road and bumps more. It feels a lot like a sport bike riding it but with comfortable upright posture. A true inline four sport bike would, no doubt, smoke it badly. Like the PC it looks a bit unusual, but it doesn't look scooterish. I guess the closest thing to it would be the wee strom, but it feels much smaller and lighter that the suzuki, although both are 650s.

John_Atkinson said:
MizzouMike said:

Heathens, all of them.

You'll have the last laugh when you go on a ride somewhere and they start asking if they can put things in your saddlebags - HA!

I offer to race them all the time.  The terms are as follows, you can pick the route, I pick the destination.  They don't bite anymore after I offer up places like Omaha, St. Louis, Wichita (all about 250 miles away).  I figure I will catch them while they are fuelling up...... TWICE!!!

:))

I offer to race them all the time.  The terms are as follows, you can pick the route, I pick the destination.  They don't bite anymore after I offer up places like Omaha, St. Louis, Wichita (all about 250 miles away).  I figure I will catch them while they are fuelling up...... TWICE!!!

:beerchug: :rotflmao: :bravo_2: :1rij:

MizzouMike said:

The Cadillac CTS-V comes in station wagon varient.  The Audi RS-6 is also a wagon (avant) that I would love to own.  I guess living in Europe caused me to like the performance oriented five door versions.

Audi-RS6-Avant_APS-Sportec.jpg

Don't get me wrong, most station wagons are the pits (my parents owned a Taurus wagon when I was growing up  :( ) but I always ask people if they know about the good wagons when they say they would never own that type of vehicle. 

Ok back to the PC800.  Never ridden one but I would if I had the chance, I just wouldn't want my friends to see me on it since you know how the saying goes........  ;D

I'll take your Taurus and raise you a 1976 Plymoth Volare' station wagon........  My dad traded in his Mustang (manhood) for family needs that day....  He shared that story with me when I rolled home in my min-van  :'(

I've only seen one while looking for my first bike inb 25 years , it was at a place called Bent Bike in Aubrun,WA .Unfortunately it hadn't been taken care of , the tupperware was weather cracked and faded , seat all torn up ...I passed on it since they wanted $2k for it ...wouldn't you know it sold within 2 days at that price in the winter time  :-\ Now i know why ... but the upside I bought my C10 the next week .

MizzouMike said:
I'll take your Taurus and raise you a 1976 Plymoth Volare' station wagon........  My dad traded in his Mustang (manhood) for family needs that day....  He shared that story with me when I rolled home in my min-van  :'(

My dad bought the same wagon, the Premiere model Volare wagon with the woody siding.  He used to say we drove it around in the box it came in.  The 2bbl carb it came with was new for 1976 and the car never ran right until they swapped it for a 1bbl from a '75 Valiant.  You could stand on the gas on that 225 slant six and it would hit 60mph sometime a year later!  I wound up driving it throughout my college years in the 80's.

Sirius Scratch said:
You could stand on the gas on that 225 slant six and it would hit 60mph sometime a year later! ]

Zero to 60 in twice as many seconds :)

Oh and as for the PC...I think this sums it up :)

314434_2324093274545_508109419_n.jpg

I know that it's meant to "embrace the goofiness", but I will refuse to put those BODY BY TUPPERWARE stickers on mine.

I think the bike looks great.

oldsawfiler said:

:beerchug: :rotflmao: :bravo_2: :1rij:

Man, this is about the best line ever - should be the byline for the COG forum! I'm gonna use this whenever the sportbike comparison comes up. Excellent!

I just bought my first Connie (been lusting after them since they came out and I couldn't afford one as a poor young, fella). Did my first long ride (200+ miles one way), and although I haven't ridden in years, the seat doesn't fit me, and this Connie buzzes, it was a great ride with only minor aches afterwards.

Wine Guy said:
I know that it's meant to "embrace the goofiness", but I will refuse to put those BODY BY TUPPERWARE stickers on mine.

I think the bike looks great.
I like em too.  They need turbos though. LOL

My dad traded in his Mustang (manhood) for family needs that day....  He shared that story with me when I rolled home in my min-van

I had the same thing happen. As mentioned earlier, I spent my formative years in station wagons. I swore I would NEVER buy one for myself.

A few years after I got married, I bought my first car, an Isuzu Rodeo. I thought it looked bad-a**, with big 18" GoodYear AT's on it. I proudly drove it to my parents house to show off. My dad took one look at it and said, "It's a station wagon on big wheels." Cue the trombone:  wah, wah, waaaaaaaahhhh...

In retrospect, he wasn't really wrong:

isuzu_rodeo_a1239368423b2609353.jpg

I had a Prius and working on a Navy base all the other sailors had these expensive cars.
I used to take them up on offers to race under the conditions that we did it from a stop light and that whoever got through the intersection first won.
That electric motor sure can pull, all the way through the light; then she's tired.

78 Jeep CJ5 302 w/3 speed transmission, 34" super swampers.  I used to challenge the boys to a race; across that there cornfield :)) :))

bajakirch said:
My dad traded in his Mustang (manhood) for family needs that day....  He shared that story with me when I rolled home in my min-van

I had the same thing happen. As mentioned earlier, I spent my formative years in station wagons. I swore I would NEVER buy one for myself.

A few years after I got married, I bought my first car, an Isuzu Rodeo. I thought it looked bad-a**, with big 18" GoodYear AT's on it. I proudly drove it to my parents house to show off. My dad took one look at it and said, "It's a station wagon on big wheels." Cue the trombone:  wah, wah, waaaaaaaahhhh...

In retrospect, he wasn't really wrong:

isuzu_rodeo_a1239368423b2609353.jpg

:-[