• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Baker Air Wings 3200 mile report

jimp

Sport Tourer
I mounted the Baker Air Wings above the mirrors before my trip to Colorado for the National and I have to say, these are probably the #1 mod everyone should consider. They block all air hitting the hands in the closed position. I was able to wear my vented summer gloves in conditions that would have had me putting on my insulated winter gloves without the 'wings. When it gets warm, just flip them open and air flows like normal. But here's the real advantage - they increase the size of the still air pocket behind the shield. Without them, I had always been bothered by a large amount of turbulance coming off the sides of the windscreen (BTW, I am using the C-B Eurocut), and would have to run the shield full up for it to be reasonably quiet. With the wings closed, I no longer need to run the shield all the way up - I can get by at 2/3 to 3/4 raised, and the overall comfort level has increased and noise level decreased. They may not look great, but they just plain work, just like the ones on my old C10. Easy-peasy to install and stable up to a GPS indicated 134. I can't imagine these not helping improve any windshield on the C14. Not a "cure all," but a big help.

I didn't see your C-14 in Frisco; wish I had. I have a CalSci +6" windshield on mine. There is no protection for the hands regardless of the up/down position of the shield. I suspect the situation is the same for all of the aftermarket shields I have seen. I mounted a piece of 1/8" Lexan on both sides of the shield to force the air/rain out around the ends of the handlebars. They work just fine.

could you share a picture of what the wings look like on your C14? I have a C14 and wished I had something similar installed on my recently completed USA 4 Corners ride. Would love to see what they look like and if you could recommend who you purchased these from as a quick search on Yahoo is finding these specifically for the C14. Thanks. Andre

Look at this thread on the concours.org site. Pics are about halfway down page 2. http://forum.concours.org/index.php?topic=42530.20 BTW, those are the light smoke. I have the dark smoke which matches nicely with the black plastic of the mirrors. IIRC, the price is $54. You need to call Baker Built to order them as they don't have them up on the web site. (800)451-9464 or (419)965-2646. http://www.bakerbuilt.com/home.htm

i have 1000 miles on mine, and they came in very handy on the wrrr in nc. some of them roads were darn right chilly in the morning and the hand wings really take the wind off the mits. they are good for diverting the rain drops away too. i say they are worth every penny imo. i dont think they look bad either.

When I saw this thread and then the pictures I ordered a pair. These are exactly what I needed. The cooler mornings make me have to raise the screen to get the air off of my neck. Of course the hands get blasted, now they're nice and warm with the grip heaters and no frozen knuckles. Definitely should be a high priorty farkle for C14 owners. I just wish they came in clear.