• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bedding in organic pads

amdonim

Bicycle
I'm about to replace my rear brakes this weekend, and I'd like some advice on bedding them in. There's so much conflicting advice on the internet, it would be nice to hear from you. It's been a while since I replaced my rear pads, can't remember what I did last time.

Check out the EBC site for bedding instructions.  Make sure your disc have been cleaned thoroughly prior to installation.  Scotch-brite and brake cleaner work well for this.  Just be careful of painted surfaces.

http://ebcbrakes.com/articles/motorcycle-bed-in/

Also, organic pads suck in the rain.  When they are wet, there is a small interval of time before they start to work.  I've switch the rear to simi-sintered and realized a large improvement in pedal feel and the lesser amount of force required.  I'll do the same for the front when they wear out.

Are use their double H pads up front but  I have big feet and  i'm too heavy footed with the sintered pad on back.

I wouldn't worry too much about bedding brakes used on the street, especially the rear... just keep in mind you might have to apply slightly more pressure than you are used to until they break in.

Okay. For sintered pads they state that the first few hundred miles braking performance will be weaker until they're bedded. Can I swap one side early, then swap the other after the first set is more broken in? Or will this cause pulling to one side?

"Also, organic pads suck in the rain.  When they are wet, there is a small interval of time before they start to work."

FWIW - in the wet i'd rather not have the rear be too aggressive!  I find it way too easy to get the rear to skid.  moving away from the sintered pads on the rear helped a lot IMO.

nice to have the sintered on the front though (86 - original brake setup)

changing one pad at a time?  I wouldn't.  just ride the bike and be attentive to the use of the rear for that hundred or so miles of on/off usage.

heavy use would not be beneficial I would expect.

Cal

Cal said:
"Also, organic pads suck in the rain.  When they are wet, there is a small interval of time before they start to work."

FWIW - in the wet i'd rather not have the rear be too aggressive!  I find it way too easy to get the rear to skid.  moving away from the sintered pads on the rear helped a lot IMO.

My thoughts exactly.

Best advice I've read here is to go to the manufactures site and follow
there recommendation. So easy.