• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bogs down at higher RPM

wparvin

Bicycle
I bought a used 2003 Connie, the seller wasn't sure how many miles were on the engine because he went down and slid uder a truck with a hitch & cracked the engine. His dad is an airplane mechanic & he found a used 1000 Ninja engine & together they swapped out the engine. When I took it for a ride it ran great. I had it about a week then the problem started. It runs fine until approx 3500 RPM, then it bogs down & spits & sputters & shutters & will not accelerate any further. At idle it revs fine. The man I bought it from had the carbs cleaned in Feburary. I drained the bowls & no crud came out & the gas smelled fresh, inside the tank looks good, no rust. The spark plus wires were corroded so I replaced the wires & caps (Murphskits has a good set) & plugs, no change. I suspect the carbs even if they were done recently.I have freah gas in the tank & some Seafoam to see if this may help, haven't even burned a whole tank yet, don't want to get too far from home. Should I give it more time or consider pulling & cleaning the carbs again? The man who sold it bought a new Concours 14 & needed the room.

There are a couple of things I would check out: 1. Firing order after replacing the plugs. 2. Operation of the choke. 3. Operation of the throttle cables. 4. Air filter. 5. Proper seating of the intake boots. If none of that, consider taking off the carbs and checking (cleaning) the jets.

A partially pinched fuel line? I had a Study Silver hawk once that had a pinched fuel line.. It would run like a striped ape for a while, but if I kept my foot in it too long it would start starving out. Replaced the pinched steel line with a piece of hose and all was well. COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

It was the carbs, there was a paste in each carb bowl & jets, cleaned them out, put an in-line gas filter in the fuel line, runs great again.