• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bought a 2003 Beemer

bxrbob

Actually bought it back in October and kept it in the garage until a few weeks ago. I decided I wanted something different after the Fall Rally in ME. SO I went on-line thinking maybe a Honda ST1300. I found a BMW dealer in NH who had an ST1300 and an FJR1300. SO I convinced the wife to go with me and went 'just to look'. The salesman let me sit on both bikes and same problem with the Connie, too tall and still heavy. Those who know me have seen my super low cut seat on my 94 Connie. Then I see this R1150RT and decide to sit on it. It seemed to be lighter but it was just the center of gravity. I check the odometer and it only had 8250 miles and the salesman tells me it is an 2003. I was thinking who spends that kind of money and doesn't ride it? Bike looked very nice, tires were good so I ask for a price. I counter-offer and we came up with a number I felt was reasonable. They delivered it to my house to rest for the winter.I and the wife have been on a local club ride and then yesterday to a tech session in Monson with the new bike. I have already put almost 2k on it and am very happy. Connie still lives with me , just has a stable mate for now. It was the wife's idea to keep the old bike :)

Hi Bob, Welcome to the world of BMW's. The RT is very close to the connie but it make better power low on the tach. More Torque. But the Connie has a better top end rush. But you have to rev it to 9K to get it right? But you do not need me to tell you that, do you? I looked a long time for a bike that was better than the Connie. I finally found one. The BMW 2007 R1200RT. Lighter, good power and great gas mileage, the seat leaves something wanting though. Now that I think of it the Connie is still better, just don't tell my wife. Have fun on both bikes. 2 is better than 1! Bill Peloquin

Bob: Welcome to the world of beemers. I often wondered why a bike could carry such a high price, that is until I rode several of them. I came to getting one due to the wife, she complained of riding on the connie for long distances. Nothing I did ever changed that, so I started looking at different bikes. I bought an older GW, wife loved it, I didn't. It was exactly as described to me, like riding a barge down the road. It was a smooth ride, we were both very comfortable, it just was not fun. Well the next test was a BMW K1200 LT. Wife was pleased with the ammenities, it was comfortable, and it did have some soul to it. After selling the GW, I went shopping and found one I could afford. Now after almost 5 years it is still here and when I have to travel a long distance, that is the one I take. One day I did over 800 miles and wasn't tired or worn out. It is almost effortless to pilot the LT, the handling is great. My only regret, while we were waiting to try out that first LT, I was sitting on a new GT and the wife said, "buy whatever you want". Now I was good, I did get a LT, but my desire was really for the GT. So if your spouse ever says "buy whatever you want", don't make my mistake. :) tcars John