• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Buying First Cruiser

croach1776

Tonto
Well it finally happened. Ms Gold Rush had encounter of the fourth kind with a Grand Marquis in the parking lot.  Windscreen broke in half, right corner of base and corner of fairing behind base broke off. Right corner of upper fairing around turn signal cracked through in two places. Lower right mid fairing with crack 1/3 of way across.  Damage estimate 2500.00. His insurance is Allstate so will probably have major hassle dealing with them. Cant file with my insurance is didnt have collision but they will help me file (Geico).  If possible going to have them cut me check and then repair replace myself and use proceeds to buy another bike - cruiser. 

Have a friend whose dad is selling a 2002 Suzuki Intruder 1500 LC. Has 10K on it, garaged and ridden every few months.  Need opinions on:

1. Is this a good bike to own (have owned Suzuki in the past and was satisfied with them)
2. Any ideas on what I should offer. Have seen similar bikes on ebay selling for 2700.00
3. Plan on using this as commute bike to spare Connie unnecessary wear and tear, save her for long rides. So is the Intruder a good choice for
    Daily ride.  Only weighs 50 plus pounds more than Connie and Center of Gravity is way lower.

The Connie is yours. You do not have to give it up or have anyone repair it. You can fix it yourself. I replaced the parts on my brand new FJR last year after a glancing blow with an inattentive young women in a Honda Civic tried to kill me. I was lucky and the damage was not bad. I took my check, bought the parts and repaired the bike myself. The insurance adjuster actually suggested it when I was thinking it to myself. So I actually made money on the deal by paying myself for my time to repair my bike. And shes good as new.

As far as the Intruder. She's an excellent bike. IIRC, they have a low center of gravity because the fuel tank in under the seat. I almost bought one. It test rode nice, although I did feel kind of like a sail when I took it up on the interstate just for that reason. So any highway (distance riding) might be better if the Intruder had a windshield. The bike handled well (low center of gravity) and was a pleasure to ride for a large cruiser. Again, IIRC, the Intruder is air cooled with and oil cooler. From what I have read, that has not been the problem and the bike has a good reputation for reliability. Sometimes I regret not buying that bike. (it was a left over in the spring)  The price was right. I just wound up going with a sportier cruiser instead. I would suggest going on an Intruder web site and looking for information.

Oh yeah, to add. I have had both a Concours and a cruiser for quite a few years now. I personally enjoy having the two totally different types of motorcycles. It allows for different riding experiences. That makes riding twice as enjoyable. You get to have the option of what riding suits the mood your in. I say go for it. You'll like having the two different style bikes. And the option to ride which one suits your mood that day. Good luck.  :)

Thanks for info.  I wasnt thinking of buying another bike until I found out it was for sale at what might be a reasonable price. I was gonna put the Connie in the barn for the winter and install some farkles and upgrades and fix front tabs on the upper; so having to do it a month early is no big deal. Now, even if this buy doesnt work out I have new/used bike fever and a cruiser would be the next logical step. I agree about having two different types of rides.  I think cruiser would be good for commute and short trips on weekends and "making the scene". 

I have become a member of the Suzuki LC1500 forum, seems similar to COG.  From reading posts used bike market is really soft so with a little patience should be able to score a decent deal.

If you are going for a curiser buy Honda Valkyrie. You will not regreat it. Great power rides nice, and it is not a me-too v-twin. I had one for 7 years before I got the ST bug. They cost more but you get twice the bike. Just my 2cents.

Be aware. there is a factory recall for tank leaking
http://rlc.riderparts.com/

Reason I know is I have a friend's Intruder stored in my garage for the winter and it had the leak. Currently covered with a smear of silicone seal, he is planning to get the dealer to replace in the spring.

Ya Intruders had tank issue, shift issue ,strator and head bearing issues. All moot, he wouldnt deal. Not a motivated seller.  So gonna keep checking ebay, cl, etc looking for a highly motivated seller then swoop in.
Considering Kawasaki Classic 900, Yamaha V Star 1100.  Dont want to settle for the generic 750-800 class cruisers, need a little more power.  Thanks for all the info, if yall hear about anyone looking to sell in the Houston Tx area let me know.

The Intruder has a real small tank for a big cruiser. That's about the only negative.  The brakes won't be real good either.

The VStar 1100 is a dog, my C50 Boulevard had more power and was actually a larger bike as far as seating/ride comfort went. The 1100 is carbed and unless it has the aftermarket oil filter relocation kit, you have to drop the pipes to change the filter.

The Vulcan 900 is a nice bike. It's like the C50 in that it has good size. Decent power for a small cruiser and it'll get 50mpg.

I really liked my C50, it's a nice looking bike, and you can find an older one for pretty cheap. There is a great online forum for the bike too.

Not intending to rain on your idea, but you might want to go back and read some of the reviews of the 1500 Intruder.
If memory serves, they heaped scorn on that model ,as being poor handling ,low on power ,and as having  a positively diabolical clutch engagement. I think Cruiser magazine called it dangerous !
Having ridden the Valkyrie , I can say it is one heck of a cruiser-nothing bad to say about it.

Just my 2 cents !  ;D

If I were to buy a cruiser I would look at the ones with the most lean angle as I would be afraid that I'm so used to the generous angle of the Connie that I may scrape around the corners .

I've owned more then a few "cruisers" and You might consider doing some due diligence on a Victory. I've owned one since 2001,have traveled "extensvely" on it  and IMHO, it's a lot of motorcycle for what little you would pay for one(any one) these days.
Check ebay for various models or visit a dealer.
Also, Check out:www.thevmc.com. I'm just saying.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

Attachments

• DSCN0009 (Small).JPG
    DSCN0009 (Small).JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 90