• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C14 Rear Shock Conversion.

pbfoot

Crotch Rocket
I am curious as to why you can't just drill out the bottom of the C14 shock to 12 mm and use the C10 hardware. Seems like there is plenty of meat on the shock ears.

Jim Snyder said:
The bushings in most shock absorbers are hardened steel and very difficult to drill with normal bits.
So is the spacer a different width on the bottom shock mount?

Pbfoot said:
Jim Snyder said:
The bushings in most shock absorbers are hardened steel and very difficult to drill with normal bits.
So is the spacer a different width on the bottom shock mount?

I did the ZZR shock change on my C-10 and had to modify the bushing width if I remember right
and had to order the longer bolt for the ZZR shock. May be the same with the C14 shock.

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. 

The one on the right is the stock C-10 shock, the other two are a ZZR and a C-14.  I think the one in the middle is the C-14 and the one on the left is the ZZR, but I might have those two turned around.

Dennis, all you need to mount the C-14 shock is a 20mm by 30mm bushing with a 10mm hole, which I know is a piece of cake for you to make.  The top mount you just drill it out to 12mm, but I have read where some just used the stock 10mm C-14 bolt with no issues.

C-10_ZZR_C-14_Shocks-M.jpg

fred-houston said:
Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. 

The one on the right is the stock C-10 shock, the other two are a ZZR and a C-14.  I think the one in the middle is the C-14 and the one on the left is the ZZR, but I might have those two turned around.

Dennis, all you need to mount the C-14 shock is a 20mm by 30mm bushing with a 10mm hole, which I know is a piece of cake for you to make.  The top mount you just drill it out to 12mm, but I have read where some just used the stock 10mm C-14 bolt with no issues.

C-10_ZZR_C-14_Shocks-M.jpg
Thank you Fred!! You the man as usual. I can't wait to get this baby installed. I think I wil use 17-4 stainless.

Thank you Fred!! You the man as usual. I can't wait to get this baby installed. I think I wil use 17-4 stainless.
[/quote]

Good Choice!  I actually used brass the first time and it didn't go too well, so I went with a harder aluminum 6063 and that didn't work well either.  I ended up using stainless, but I am not sure of the grade.  No matter, it worked.

Could someone please measure  a C10 upper shock at the mount and tell me how wide it is?  I have the lower bushing made and need to know how much to grind the top bushing. Thanks!

Dennis it is not much, just a couple of mm's. I just took a little off both sides until it fit.  I can measure my spare when I get home tonight.

fred-houston said:
Dennis it is not much, just a couple of mm's. I just took a little off both sides until it fit.  I can measure my spare when I get home tonight.
I would appreciate that. Want to have everything finished before the swap as I am working in an apartment complex parking lot.

Pbfoot said:
fred-houston said:
I would appreciate that. Want to have everything finished before the swap as I am working in an apartment complex parking lot.

Dennis, I did mine freehand, and I measure it at 27.9mm.  I am willing to bet you will be safe at 28mm if you are machining it.

fred-houston said:
Pbfoot said:
fred-houston said:

Dennis, I did mine freehand, and I measure it at 27.9mm.  I am willing to bet you will be safe at 28mm if you are machining it.
Thank you, sir!