• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C14 shock

danny sparks

Got myself a c14 shock.  Getting a  bush made for the bottom mount.. my question is Where Have You mounted the gas Reservoir any suggestions as I haven't had the chance to look yet...also how many.clicks do the ajustable black nob have as mine is a bit poor at turning ...a bit squeaky and stiff...cheers chaps..

Danny sparks said:
Got myself a c14 shock.  Getting a  bush made for the bottom mount.. my question is Where Have You mounted the gas Reservoir any suggestions as I haven't had the chance to look yet...also how many.clicks do the ajustable black nob have as mine is a bit poor at turning ...a bit squeaky and stiff...cheers chaps..

There are several locations and areas where it can be mounted.  On my other C-10 I mounted it on the left side.  On both of them you need to make sure the bracket is far enough out so that it does not interfere with the side panel.
C-14%20Res%20Mount-M.jpg

I zip tied mine to the frame on the left side under the seat.  I would start out with the shock set all the way soft which would be counterclockwise.  Ride and adjust as needed. You will be very happy. At 200lbs this shock is perfect for me.

I mounted mine on the left side to the rear foot peg mounting bracket.

At first I just used zip ties, then I made a small bracket to go behind the foot peg bracket so I could mount it with s/s hardware.

Attachments

• Left Side.JPG
    Left Side.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 108
Danny, did you complete your install?
I just finished mine.

I used one of the stock C-10 Swingarm bolts to build my lower bushing.
    (Machined off the head, cut it to length, and drilled a hole thru it)

I mounted my adjuster similar to Turbojoe's install. (On the left side)

I installed a lowering link to keep the height close to stock.

Lastly, I adjusted the preload to set the sag.

So far, it's great.

Ride safe, Ted

Yes mate all done ...very happy with it ...just have a problem with sag...I think the adjuster is stuck.can turn the black nob .but it has no effect on the sag...might have to open it up and have a look...is yours a early or late shock...I also have no clicks when turning the nob..

The adjuster is known to stick on the C-14 shock.
Spray some light lubricating oil under the knob.

My C-14 shock is the early model.
My first clicks didn't seem to have much effect on the adjustment.
As I added more clicks the pressure at the adjuster knob, changed suddenly, as if had finally built up e'nuff pressure to start compressing the spring.  On my C-10, (with C-14 shock) it took 22 - 24 clicks to get the sag correct.

NOTE: I think the C-14 Preload adjustment took more clicks on my C-10 because the C-10 rocker is longer.
          {The longer length might be decreasing the effect of the spring compression?}

From the little I know about the spring on the C-14 shock, I think the spring is a bit too weak as well.

NOTE: I'm new to this. Not sure how the internals of the adjuster are built?
          My assumption is; as you turn the adjuster you move a piston down, to push hyd. fluid?
          If so, mine felt like it was low on fluid.

Hopefully those that are more knowledgeable can correct my guesses.

Ride safe, Ted

Recently placed an order for a Nitron R1 rear shock from England - will let you know once I receive and install. Planning to send the forks to Traxxion over the winter.

Not really sure what this "winter" thing is that people keep mentioning...suppose it might have something to do with the snow shovels I left in Colorado...oh well...enough time spent on wondering...I'm going for a ride... :beerchug: