• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C14 Tent Camping

Kelty make several models, excellent quality. My preference is aluminum poles that the tent hangs off rather than pushing poles through sleeves, then through the fly over top and attach. Observe the guys putting up a tent in the rain and decide which serves you better.

I have a 4-person dome tent from Ozark Trails that fits perfectly on a bike

It's too heavy to use as a backpacking tent, but I think it's perfect for motorcycle camping.

10959732_10204125697006173_8349462649890894299_n.jpg

Most all the tents made now look and are designed pretty much the same as the two pictured are exactly like mine. What you are looking for is packed size/weight/pole design. Mine is sleeved and would be a pain in the rain but it packs small and weighs little and is water tight. I've seen the instant tents and they are very nice for what you need. all of my camping materials, tent, ground cover, linens, pillow, chair, all fit into my GIVI top case, if it's cooler out my sleeping bag is strapped to the seat.

Eureka tents are my choice
I have a 3 man Mountain Pass and 1 man Midori
Mountain Pass is a little pricy / 4 season
Midori is reasonable price / 3 season
Love both of em
Best
Bob

For those with the insta tents, how compact are they? The one my buddy is to bulky for me. On a 2 bike trip it worked because we could distribute gear between bikes.
I don't remember what I have but it is aluminium poles and the tent fits in the side bag with room for more. Now keep all my camp gear in a dry bag that goes with even when I plan on moteling it. Comes in handy when you end up where there is no room at the inn.

A 4 season tent means you freeze in the winter.šŸ˜ I take it to mean you will need to provide your own warmth as the tent merely protects from rain and not heavy snow and cold.

For those that don't know, what's the difference in a 3 season and a 4 season tent?

Ride safe, Ted
1 season (winter - airflow). Winter tents generally have solid sides and top and a full rain fly that goes all the way to the ground. 3 season tents have lots of mesh for airflow.

Ahh, soo.
So {with more fabric on the tent itself} and the fabric of the rain fly, you have 2 layers of fabric/insulation while you freeze anyway?

Ride safe, Ted

Look into Alps Mountaineering brand tents. Most use clips to attach to the poles not the slide through sleeve design. Very good quality. Many years ago I had a Colman tent I liked. It had a rip-stop tub floor that was completely water proof, not just thicker taffeta. I ride mostly 2 up with my wife so bike camping with gear for 2 is hard. We still car camp but have bigger tents.

Look into Alps Mountaineering brand tents. Most use clips to attach to the poles not the slide through sleeve design. Very good quality. Many years ago I had a Colman tent I liked. It had a rip-stop tub floor that was completely water proof, not just thicker taffeta. I ride mostly 2 up with my wife so bike camping with gear for 2 is hard. We still car camp but have bigger tents.
This is what I use most of the time. 4 man is big enough to put a low cot into plus all my gear. Good quality trr we not.

In my experience any tent that does not have a fly that completely covers the tent all the way to the ground is a "get wet" tent, in heavy or persistent rain the exposed inner tent will get soggy with moisture and it will make its way into the interior of the tent. I have a 2 person tent, stands about 4ft tall, has a full fly with 2 vestibules, one vestibule is my "front door" and the opposite vestibule is the "garage" where I store stuff I don't want sitting out all night or want to keep dry if it rains. I've had the tent 7 or 8 years now and have never gotten any rain in it and have never (yet) had to seal the seams.

PG.

In my experience any tent that does not have a fly that completely covers the tent all the way to the ground is a "get wet" tent, in heavy or persistent rain the exposed inner tent will get soggy with moisture and it will make its way into the interior of the tent. I have a 2 person tent, stands about 4ft tall, has a full fly with 2 vestibules, one vestibule is my "front door" and the opposite vestibule is the "garage" where I store stuff I don't want sitting out all night or want to keep dry if it rains. I've had the tent 7 or 8 years now and have never gotten any rain in it and have never (yet) had to seal the seams.

PG.
Right on. I prefer 4 season because you can roll the rain fly up if youā€™re hot. Canā€™t make it bigger though.

The only way that I have found to stay dry in the rain, is to put a tarp over the tent, but it is very hot in warmer weather.

I used to use a small REI Quatro because the tent poles fit inside the C14 bags. I just purchased an ATACAMA from Redvers. It cannot fit in the saddle bags, however it is very roomy easy to get in and out, easy to change cloths in and has space for repairs along the way.

It is expensive, however I figure its money well spent if it saves me from getting a hotel.

+1 on the Alps Mountaineering tent. I have the 3 person with the fly that gives you two vestibules for gear. A good tent like this will keep you dry no matter how hard it rains. Top quality and will last for years. Get the optional ground pad.

+1 on the Alps Mountaineering tent. I have the 3 person with the fly that gives you two vestibules for gear. A good tent like this will keep you dry no matter how hard it rains. Top quality and will last for years. Get the optional ground pad.
Another fan of the Alps mountaineering tents. I have both the 2-person and 4-person versions of the Lynx.

The 2-person is great for solo moto camping trips, inside I have just enough room for my sleeping kit and my riding gear. As others have mentioned, the large vestibules are where I store my side cases / saddlebags for easy access in the rain or at night.

I use the 4-person less frequently but it's extremely roomy. Both are fast to set up and take down, pack down very small, and have kept me dry through many rainy nights on the road.

PG.
I'm no longer a tent camper nor a cross country rider. But I occasionally (actually, Rarely) bring out my "old" Tent for a Rally.
During a storm, the incomplete Rain Fly on it allowed lots of rain inside.
So I'm looking for something better, (??) but I'm unwilling to spend a lot of bucks/$$$ for a tent that I might use once.
I found this as a possibility.
It's the smallest packed size that I've seen (Packed size: 16" x 6") and it's frugal. ($70)
Thoughts?

Ride safe, Ted

PS: At the few Camping Rally's we've gone to, we trailered to the event {using an enclosed trailer} and slept in the trailer.
Yes, I know I'm a wus.

Last edited:
PS: At the few Camping Rally's we've gone to, we trailered to the event {using an enclosed trailer} and slept in the trailer.

Just do this^. Just level the trailer and call it good!

Iā€™ve got a tunnel design tent that is similar and while I like it, I can get wet getting in or out of it unless I hang a tarp overhead.

I stopped camping after my knee replacement surgery (still having issues getting back up when on my knees) but for the three years I camped with the C14, I used a (now discontinued) Eureka Spitfire Duo with its ground sheet. You can still find some in stock somewhere.

It's a good, small tent, packs small and light and keeps you dry.art5_moto1.jpgart5_moto2.jpg

I have the ALPS Lynx 2. Works well for 1 person. Packs nicely in the side bag. I carry the gear in the pic whenever I do multi days as a just in case. Packs nicely in a dry bag. Just buckle it on and go.

Attachments

• PXL_20220508_004457805.jpg
    PXL_20220508_004457805.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 94
Anyone seen a Voyager for sale anywhere lately? It's an old Boy Scout design, early ones canvas, later ones (70s) nylon. It's an A tent with poles and guy lines on each end and smaller guys to pull the lower sides out a bit. Big enough for two cots plus a narrow walkway, and you can stand up if you're around 6' or less. The nylon one my friend had would fit easily on the rack of my Givi topcase. I've hunted hi and lo on the net but no one seems to make it anymore. I get so tired of crawling in and out of a dome tent.

As far as staying dry is concerned, I camped near a backpacker/biker at RWTW last year. His tent is what he called a "full-tub" design. The watertight floor extends over a foot up all sides of the tent. He reports sleeping in pouring rain, having large amounts of water actually channeled underneath the tent, while he remained bone dry inside. I didn't note the brand or model, and it's probably a bit pricey, but this design feature really appealed to me. Since the tent is designed for backpacking, it is lightweight and packs small.

Anyone seen a Voyager for sale anywhere lately? It's an old Boy Scout design, early ones canvas, later ones (70s) nylon. It's an A tent with poles and guy lines on each end and smaller guys to pull the lower sides out a bit. Big enough for two cots plus a narrow walkway, and you can stand up if you're around 6' or less. The nylon one my friend had would fit easily on the rack of my Givi topcase. I've hunted hi and lo on the net but no one seems to make it anymore. I get so tired of crawling in and out of a dome tent.

Check out Eureka.
They still make ( or did ) this style of tent
I saw one used back in early 90s
Very nice tent. They are not cheap
Best
Bob

Bob:

Eureka!! (Literally, "I have found it.") I looked quickly at the site referred to, and I can see this is where I am headed. The "four"-man (haha) Timberline design is almost exactly what I want; kind of an improved Voyager (ours never had a fly, or a 5-pole guyless design), although it's just a bit shorter or my memory is slipping -- again. But I won't have to crawl in, it has the waterproof full-tub design, and I will be able to sit on the cot I want and pull my boots on in the morning instead of rolling around on a wet floor. The six-- haha -- man design is even taller, though pricier and bulkier. I will definitely be looking into these; my local Bass Pro and "Rick's" Sporting Goods (starts with a D and can't pass the COG filter) both carry Eureka! products.

Prepare to be shocked, typical COGgers and folks who know how cheap I am, but I am not averse to spending $300-$500 for the tent I want that will last me the rest of my life.

I just bought a Moon Lence cot that is 8''; the one I want can be either low or 14" high with included extensions and "mud feet," but is currently out-of-stock everywhere I can find:

Not to hijack the tent thread, but this site, built by a mountain-climber, has tons of reviews and comparisons for backpacking- and camping-cots, and even tent/cots.

Just today, I bought a "4" dome at Aldi because 1)It has a mud flap out the door, a gear loft and lantern hanger (my current yard-sale tent has none of these things 2)It's a foot wider 3)my current tent says "Hillary" on the front (Sir Edmund, I know, but...) 4)it was $33. I will do a test-set as soon as I get a dry day, then we are off for four days at the lake on the way to the SE Beat the Heat Rally in Maggie Valley, NC.

Thanks again, Bob...Camp On!!
PS: My late Dad once had a terrier named Ono -- named for what I said when I came home and found he had adopted another stray. Her picture hangs on the wall not 15' from where I sit typing this -- thanks also for the memories...what a great dog!

Last edited:
Bob:

Eureka!! (Literally, "I have found it.") I looked quickly at the site referred to, and I can see this is where I am headed. The "four"-man (haha) Timberline design is almost exactly what I want; kind of an improved Voyager (ours never had a fly, or a 5-pole guyless design), although it's just a bit shorter or my memory is slipping -- again. But I won't have to crawl in, it has the waterproof full-tub design, and I will be able to sit on the cot I want and pull my boots on in the morning instead of rolling around on a wet floor. The six-- haha -- man design is even taller, though pricier and bulkier. I will definitely be looking into these; my local Bass Pro and "Rick's" Sporting Goods (starts with a D and can't pass the COG filter) both carry Eureka! products.

Prepare to be shocked, typical COGgers and folks who know how cheap I am, but I am not averse to spending $300-$500 for the tent I want that will last me the rest of my life.

I just bought a Moon Lence cot that is 8''; the one I want can be either low or 14" high with included extensions and "mud feet," but is currently out-of-stock everywhere I can find:

Not to hijack the tent thread, but this site, built by a mountain-climber, has tons of reviews and comparisons for backpacking- and camping-cots, and even tent/cots.

Just today, I bought a "4" dome at Aldi because 1)It has a mud flap out the door, a gear loft and lantern hanger (my current yard-sale tent has none of these things 2)It's a foot wider 3)my current tent says "Hillary" on the front (Sir Edmund, I know, but...) 4)it was $33. I will do a test-set as soon as I get a dry day, then we are off for four days at the lake on the way to the SE Beat the Heat Rally in Maggie Valley, NC.

Thanks again, Bob...Camp On!!
PS: My late Dad once had a terrier named Ono -- named for what I said when I came home and found he had adopted another stray. Her picture hangs on the wall not 15' from where I sit typing this -- thanks also for the memories...what a great dog!

Youā€™re welcome Vern,
I have gotten the best prices on Eureka stuff by registering on their web site and waiting for ā€œSalesā€ emailsā€¦

I had a ā€œHillaryā€ tent for years. Great tent
Came from Sears, was their high end stuff
Thanks for sharing Moon Lence
Iā€™ll check it out
Best
Bob

I have five tents that I've accumulated over the years. The best backpacking/motorcycle setup for cot I've found is the Helinox Cot One. Very well built, small and can set up in a minute or two. Love the brand so much I have the small and extra large camping chairs. The current tent I use is Nemo Aurora. My car camping setup is a Marmot Halo 6p tent and Teton Sports cot and pad (way to large for motorcycle) but is as comfortable as my bed.

Timberline tents are tough. Many Boy Scout groups use them.

Two online sites you might want to find are Campmor.com and Sierra Trading Post. Camping gear is a little ā€œfashion and colorā€ ā€œprice sensitiveā€ since o many young folks like to do it. These sites sell ā€œlast years colorsā€ and styles generally at a discount to places like REI.

Youā€™re welcome Vern,
I have gotten the best prices on Eureka stuff by registering on their web site and waiting for ā€œSalesā€ emailsā€¦

I had a ā€œHillaryā€ tent for years. Great tent
Came from Sears, was their high end stuff
Thanks for sharing Moon Lence
Iā€™ll check it out
Best
Bob

On further investigation, I found that the Eureka site has an "outlet" section for stuff that has been returned but is often brand-new & inspected; just out-of-original-box....often half-price of their already-great products. Only 1-yr warranty. I need to register (and check my email!!).
Timberline tents are tough. Many Boy Scout groups use them.

Two online sites you might want to find are Campmor.com and Sierra Trading Post. Camping gear is a little ā€œfashion and colorā€ ā€œprice sensitiveā€ since o many young folks like to do it. These sites sell ā€œlast years colorsā€ and styles generally at a discount to places like REI.

Funny you should mention BSA; I am an Eagle myself. A co-worker, who went all the way with his son recently, sez Sonny is done with camping and he (Dad) has a Timberline 4 I can have for nada (awaiting wife approval).
Will check out both these sites when there's time.

I'm thinking about investing in the Timberline 6 -- around $330 Outlet price -- so I can stand upright. It's about the size of my Civil War tent, but not much bigger rolled than the Hillary -- both 28" long. I decided to give the shorter Moon Lence cot and the promised Timberline 4 a test-camp before blowing any more $$$. Reports to follow... The cot site above references several other packable taller cots; if the Moon Lence changeable-height doesn't become available soon I may try one of these.

. The best backpacking/motorcycle setup for cot I've found is the Helinox Cot One. Very well built, small and can set up in a minute or two.
This looks like a great product, but $400 + is a bit steep for a cot, to me. Like my cheaper preference, leg extensions currently unavailable on Amazon.