• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Cam sensor leak from odd place....

zane_282147

Here's a fun one.. my customers unit isn't actually leaking from the o-ring. . Its leaking from the plug.. I can watch oil bubbling up around it...

I am making a few assumptions here and I will lay them out, also in advance, if my assumptions are incorrect please accept my most humble apologies:

- You are a professional motorcycle shop.
- You found this forum and likely other fourms and are looking to ask for help.

My opinion:

- If I take my motorcycle to a shop, I hope they are not trolling forums for advice. They should know how to service the bike or admit it and let the owner make the decision.
- If I take my motorcycle to a shop paying the hourly wages they will tell me in short order if they cannot help me instead of bleeding me.

To be fair I made assumptions on this post and I am willing to hear what I missed.

I thought his intention was to share new info with folks that would be interested in hearing it.
I had a Dodge neon that had a leaking oil pressure sensor that sent oil INSIDE the wire and was filling the ecm with oil, even though the ecm was physically higher. It makes sense to me.

I am making a few assumptions here and I will lay them out, also in advance, if my assumptions are incorrect please accept my most humble apologies:

- You are a professional motorcycle shop.
- You found this forum and likely other fourms and are looking to ask for help.

My opinion:

- If I take my motorcycle to a shop, I hope they are not trolling forums for advice. They should know how to service the bike or admit it and let the owner make the decision.
- If I take my motorcycle to a shop paying the hourly wages they will tell me in short order if they cannot help me instead of bleeding me.

To be fair I made assumptions on this post and I am willing to hear what I missed.
You are correct about ur ASSumptions....
1. I am a self employed tech....
2. Yep I was basically asking if others have seen it leak in this manner (I've seen the old car sensors leak but never figured this style would)
3. This is literally the 2nd C14 I've ever worked on ... first one I put a car cruise control on as per customer request.. actually worked well...
4.i only charge my customer if I'm actually working on the unit... Sadly I spend lot of time researching, reading, ordering parts n not getting paid for my time...
5. Kinda cool that you know everything there is about every Motorcycle ever built that you never have to ask a question about anything ever..

I thought his intention was to share new info with folks that would be interested in hearing it.
I had a Dodge neon that had a leaking oil pressure sensor that sent oil INSIDE the wire and was filling the ecm with oil, even though the ecm was physically higher. It makes sense to me.
Yes it was a simple statement that I figured I would get "yep they do that" or "no never seen that before w this sensor "

N yep I've sen the old car sensors leak like you have...

I was just going to say this... i was a Dodge tech, I've seen OP switches leak oil thru the connector a few times. Wicking oil all the way to the PCM is crazy tho.

Reactions: Bud
I was just going to say this... i was a Dodge tech, I've seen OP switches leak oil thru the connector a few times. Wicking oil all the way to the PCM is crazy tho.
It WAS crazy. I pulled the pcm and oil ran out of the connector. Never heard or seen anything like it.

Are you saying that oil is leaking out the body of the exhaust cam sensor? I've serviced literally hundreds of C14's and have never seen this happen, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible.

Are you saying that oil is leaking out the body of the exhaust cam sensor? I've serviced literally hundreds of C14's and have never seen this happen, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible.
Yep its actually bubbling up around the plug ... I have a pic but don't see how to load a pic on my post

Oh, I see you are on a free account, never mind, you probably don't have the photo feature on your account.

Oh, I see you are on a free account, never mind, you probably don't have the photo feature on your account.
Yep.. free because I was just after some info about this oil leak that Google told me about... n maybe ordering the new parts if the customer wants me to get into it... he's selling it n wanted the leak "fixed" ...

Post it - share the knowledge for the next person having a similar issue.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I'm not understanding this photo. It doesn't look like the exhaust cam sensor to me. Is that maybe a really close up shot of just the end of it?

Here is a photo of the exhaust cam position sensor on the front of the engine block.

IMG_3415.JPG

Clean it up with brake clean, and then spray some talcum powder on it and run the engine, you'll see exactly where it's coming from. If it really is leaking from the sensor body, you'll just have to replace the sensor.

Clean it up with brake clean, and then spray some talcum powder on it and run the engine, you'll see exactly where it's coming from. If it really is leaking from the sensor body, you'll just have to replace the sensor.
It's 100% coming from the plug... that pic was after I cleaned the entire area w a cleaner n my pressure washer.... I could literally watch it bubble from the plug...
Owners bought the new sensor n full valve cover seal kit today....

2000 and I believe 2001 ZX12Rs would leak/blow or push oil through the stator wires and leak out where they plugged to the rect/reg under the rear seat. I have been a professional motorcycle mechanic and dealer for almost fifty years and WILL use any means available (including internet and forums) to help me help my customers. I have found many unusual/(possibly)unbelievable things during my career.

2000 and I believe 2001 ZX12Rs would leak/blow or push oil through the stator wires and leak out where they plugged to the rect/reg under the rear seat. I have been a professional motorcycle mechanic and dealer for almost fifty years and WILL use any means available (including internet and forums) to help me help my customers. I have found many unusual/(possibly)unbelievable things during my career.
Bingo.... 👍🏻